Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Grease Fittings On a Magnum 500

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-1999, 10:24 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm glad i'm not the only one looking for hidden zerks on the swingarm.
ok, I'll stand it up on the rear rack this morning and see what gives. I can't honestly see Polaris putting them on the bottom of the chassis, BUT... just for safetys sake, I'm gonna check.
I haven't found anything on the rear swingarm.. I thought the rear driveshaft would have had one up inside the swingarm.. but its not there... hhhmmmm......
So nobody has found more than twelve?...

Old 11-30-1999, 11:32 PM
Pro Rider

No more grease zircs on the swingarm. They are now a sealed unit that is servicable
on a periodic basis. I have not had one apart yet but I believe it uses roller bearings.
Anyone had one apart yet? There some special
tools that we got to re-align it after removal but have yet to put it to use.
Charlie

Old 12-01-1999, 11:55 AM
Pro Rider

Charlie is right.... not one grease zerk on the swingarm..
I still wish they would put grease zerks on the tie rod ends...

Old 12-01-1999, 02:47 PM
Pro Rider

So you can't grease the tie rod ends anymore and there's no zerks on the swingarm pivots, so where else did they take some off the new models?

Old 12-01-1999, 04:11 PM
Pro Rider

I guess thats about it.. The absence of having chain drive front and rear (Like the older Sportsmans and Scramblers) had them everywhere.. When I bought my Scrambler it had the original greasable Tie Rod Ends on it.. but since then, the non-greasable ones are all thats available.. Anyway, I can see now that i'm gonna love this shaft ride system.. and EBS.. WHAT A CONCEPT!!.. lolol.. WHo'd a' thunk it..??
So, does everybody agree that there are twelve grease zerks on a 99 Magnum 500?.

Old 12-01-1999, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider

My Xpedition has a zerk inside the swingarm on the rear driveshaft. You have to roll the machine and stick your finger in one of the holes to feel it. Mine had some sort of needle type fitting to begin with but my dealer changed it out to a regular zerk that I could service myself.

------------------
Ronnie Crecelius Xpedition 425

Old 12-01-1999, 08:04 PM
Pro Rider

PF,
See, thats what I keep thinking.. that looks like a slip-yoke up in there to me.. and if it moves, its GOT to have some sort of grease fitting..
It would seem that it moves as the suspension moves.. unless Polaris has perfectly aligned the swingarm where its no closer at the bottom of its travel than the top.. But, I'm thinking theres a grease fitting in there...
I'll look again tomorrow.. thanks for the info...

Old 12-01-1999, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider

mudmachine,
Stick your finger in the hole closest to the read differential,on the right side looking from rear, theres a collar there with a grease fitting. My dealer had told me about it and I could never find it but I could feel something there. I thought maybe it had broken off so I took it back to the dealer and they discovered that it had a needle type fitting in there. They attempted to just drill it out for a regular fitting but it was too hard, so they ordered the collar and replaced it.

------------------
Ronnie Crecelius Xpedition 425

Old 12-01-1999, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider

Robert, I want to know how you stood it up!

Old 12-02-1999, 09:57 AM
Pro Rider

P..
K, I'm gonna check that... I'd sure hate to ruin the rear driveline in this thing...
Adam,
hehehehe.. how else.... Low range, knees on seat, and rip the throttle..!!!! Theres nothing like POWER!!!...
I just turn the fuel off right before I do it, and as soon as it comes up and stops, I shut the engine off.. And I don it in grass so it doesn't scratch up the rear bar too bad.

Quick Reply: Grease Fittings On a Magnum 500