Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

400EXPLORER OR 425EXPEDITION

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-1999, 10:37 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THINKING ABOUT BUYING 2ND QUAD.WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK ABOUT THESE TWO QUADS?MAINTENANCE, RELIABILITY,PERFORMANCE ETC.I HAVE 99 MAG 500 NOW AND REALLY LIKE IT.WOULD THESE BIKES BE AS DURABLE?
MUCH THANKS FOR ANY INPUT.

Old 12-02-1999, 11:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have an Epedition 425. I think it is a wonderful addition to the polaris line up. I also have a sport 400. I work and hunt off of the Expedition and play on the sport. For an all around machine the Expedition is great. Where I ride, I rarely get into 5th gear, but the Expedition has plenty of "pep" for trail riding with my pals.

Old 12-02-1999, 12:36 PM
Pro Rider

I dont know about the 400 explorer because I dont own one or ever drove one. I own the polaris expedition 425 cc. They are new machines all of us can only talk about the short time we have had them. I would say, if you want the new atv to play with like kids do with them. Then dont by the expedition. If
your an outdoor hunter or just like to explore the wild country of your state. Then the expedition is great. I am a hunter/fisherman. I used my expedtion grouse hunting. Had a great time. The 5 speed has alot of pep with the gears. You can out perform the sp500 actually, just because of the gears. I only have 500 miles on it now. Now if you can hear from someone that has the other machine. You can make your choice... From rangerchet y2k polaris 425cc - 5 speed. chet lake.

Old 12-02-1999, 06:05 PM
Pro Rider

I really enjoy my Xped 425 and it has done everything I have asked it to. It also is the same chassis as the Magnum so if you like the Magnum, you should like the Xped. I guess it depends on how fast you want to go and whether or not you want to shift gears.

------------------
Ronnie Crecelius Xpedition 425

Old 12-02-1999, 06:15 PM
Pro Rider

So Rangerchet,
Is that Xpedition fast enough to chase down those little buggers?

Old 12-02-1999, 06:43 PM
Trailblazer

I have had both, 99 explorer and now I have a 2000 425 expedition. Don't get me wrong they are both good but I did not like to tighten up my chain on the explorer. 3 times in 550 km. It sure is fast and fun though. It is an excellent 4 wheeler. But I must admit I like my 2000 expedition better. stonger frame 4 stroke which is pretty peppy bu not like the explorer the explorer is faster. The 425 shifts good, easy on gas, shaft in the rear and is very comfortable to drive. Lots of torque and also a good 4 wheeler. Both machines were vamped and with winches. But to be honest if the 400 explorer had shaft drive I probably would of kept it. Oh yea the other thing I did not like on the explorer was where the counterbalance dipstick was, It should be moved to a better location for easy access.
But for me the 425 expedition is better for my needs and I have not had any problems.

Wolfman "May the winch be with you"

Old 12-02-1999, 08:16 PM
Range Rover

Why don't you keep your mag for work and then buy a scrambler or a 400ex or something for some fun. I would if I had the money.Have you had any problems with your Mag500? My 99 has about 1,600 miles on it and hasn't had a problem yet! (besides 1 broken belt(my fault)) And those weren't an EASY 1,600 miles either, belive me.

Old 12-03-1999, 10:21 AM
Range Rover

THE ONLY PROBLEM I HAVE HAD WAS A SMALL COOLANT LEAK AT THE WATER PUMP. THE DEALER FIXED IT NO CHARGE EVEN THOUGH IT WAS OUT OF WARRANTY BY SEVERAL MONTHS. I DON'T KNOW IF THIS COUNTS AS A PROBLEM BUT I DID HAVE A SMALL BIT OF OIL BACK UP THROUGH THE CRANKCASE BREATHER TUBE AFTER PULLING TO VERY STUCK 500S OUT.(THROTTLE PEGGED IN 4 LOW FOR A COUPLE OF MIN. ON EACH ONE) I CHANGED THE ENGINE BREATHER FITER AND CLEANED OUT THE AIRBOX AND NO MORE OIL HAS SHOWN UP.THE BIKE HAS 600 MILES ON IT NOW AND I LOVE IT. THE OIL IN THE AIR BOX HOWEVER DID MAKE ME A LITTLE PARANOID BUT FROM WHAT I HAVE READ HERE IT IS NOT REALLY ANYTHING TO FREAK OUT ABOUT.
JOE

Old 12-03-1999, 11:34 AM
Pro Rider

To Dusty from rangerchet, My expedition 425 cc must have been fast enough to catch those critters. I saw 140 grouse this fall. I actually drove by some of them. To legally shoot grouse. We have to be 20 yards from our machine and the engine must be turned off. I shot 17 grouse. I probably shot at about 45 or so. I think the season was one of my most enjoyable this year, because I had this atv.

To Joemag500, Did you enjoy pulling out those 500 sportsman's? I bet you did!

To Wolfman, What does vamped mean?

Those of us whom bought the epedition 425 cc are probably a different breed of atv'ers. I know when I was at the dealers and looking at
all the machines. I kept walking back to the xpedition. I decided that since I kept doing that. I might as well buy that one. We might be taking a chance with all this new technology by polaris. So far so good. I dont
mind a minor problem or 2 once in a while that dont cost much to fix. I know one thing for sure. We get better gas mileage with the xpedition and the 4 gal. tank. All the other atv's run out of gas before we do. I am always suprised that after driving for what seems like hours. I get back to the truck to put more gas in. Often times. It only takes a gallon and a half. I actually feel safe, making a long trip with only the 4
gallons.

enjoying the year 2000 xpedition 425cc 5 speed. 1st. gear 4 wheel drive turns the atv into a tractor. 2 wheel drive and the overdrive 5th. gear really winds out a decent
top speed. rangerchet, chet lake

[This message has been edited by rangerchet (edited 12-03-1999).]

[This message has been edited by rangerchet (edited 12-03-1999).]

Old 12-03-1999, 11:57 AM
Trailblazer

I can only say of what I know about the (99)400 Xplorer from a friend. We ride regularly just about anywhere we can. This guy has to be the hardest person on their four wheeler that I have ever known of. The first day he got it, he brought it to my house to show it off. He explains to me that the only way to break in a four wheeler is if you break it in like you are going to ride it. I found it a rather stupid saying but that is what he did. With not even .5 hours on it, he goes over 60 on the road. I didn't think it was a good idea being a brand new engine but he could care less. He didn't think it would pop a wheelie. Of course he tried it on concrete. Yeah, it popped a wheelie alright. Luckly the rack was big enough or he would have had a wrecked bike and a really hurt operator. Keeping it short, fter all of what he put this bike through, he has had zip problems with it. Yes I know it is still new, but I figured he would have broken something by now.

Quick Reply: 400EXPLORER OR 425EXPEDITION