Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

keeping your atv safe from theft

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-1999, 12:45 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im with Cob on this one.GET INSURANCE.Make sure you shop around though.I have heard amounts as high as 400 dollars yearly for a new quad.I pay 107 dollars for my 99 Sportsman.Definatly lock it like the other guys are telling you also.-----BILL

------------------

Old 12-09-1999, 12:54 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another thing I forgot to mention is that I have a little Maltese[DOG] He thinks he owns everything in and around my home.He will bark at anything that is unusual to him.This last Halloween,I heard him grouling at 2;30 in the morning.I awoke to see my house being trashed.I quitely awoke my 19 yr old boy.We grabbed the gun,s and outside we went.We held them at bay until the Police arrived.My point you ask?If it were not for the dog,I would of slept thru the WHOLE thing.Though this dog could'nt whip his own flee's,he is a very good Alarm System.-----BILL

------------------

Old 12-09-1999, 12:59 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get insurance.... they are TOO easy to lose.
I would suggest the "OUT of sight out of mind" thing too.. buy a cover for it, or put it inside a carport, or shed.
The quad was expensive!! Tin, nails, and some 4x4 posts are cheap.... If they don't "see" it sitting there, its not so tempting.

Old 12-09-1999, 05:01 PM
Range Rover

My dog is a very good alarm as well. Only thing is when he barks those Break and Entry artist fools reconsider their career choices. He is a 110 pound German Shepherd X. (secret: he thinks he is a lap dog though!) We have to get a custom collar to fit his neck cause we can't find one to fit him. He is a VERY good barker/growler. I tried to sneak in the backyard to test his "alarm system". Glad I am not a BE Artist!

That's nice, but my quad is still insured against theft, fire and every other thing you can think of for the full replacement price regardless of depreication. Cause if it goes I want a new one.

Glenn.

Old 12-09-1999, 05:58 PM
Trailblazer

for insurance call.
1-800-autopro.. that is the number to progressive. they will insure 4-wheelers.
I pay $410.00 a year for my 97 scrambler and 99 explorer.

the price is based on age, sex, experience, storage, where you live, and your 4wheeler.

as far as protecting it from theft. Good luck, my uncle had his locked in a shed and it was still stolen.
and if you had the question, yes I am an insurance agent.Texas is probably more expensive for those of you thinkig that I am ripping myself off.

Tony

[This message has been edited by TO_Y28 (edited 12-09-1999).]

Old 12-09-1999, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider

Polarishunter.
Get some graded chain,What you say?):

Rockwell-graded chain.
Rockwell-7 is $12 a foot.
Rockwell-8 is $16 a foot
To know the difference each link is forged with grade number on each link.And chain is gold in color.
Not even davidg can cut that chain his cutters will explode!!
Kryponite chains are grade-7, Same as their locks.

Availible at local bulldoser supply house.
Regular chain from home depot are worthless!!!!!!!

Don't!!!! lose the key, Only a diamond saw will get through it.

Old 12-10-1999, 10:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

Again, thank you for continuing to give good suggestions. I'm looking into a shed. I have my Scrambler covered with a tarp, but it sweats, and that isn't good.

Old 12-10-1999, 11:15 AM
Rod
Trailblazer

Greetings,

Like they said, insurance = peace of mind. I was surprised to find that Allstate had the best deal for my ATV. Check with your homeowners insurance company -- they should be able to add a rider for about $100.

As for locking the sprocket et al, can't they just drag it into a truck or lift the rear and roll it on the front? I use a chain around the axel, but I've always thought it was vulnerable to bolt cutters -- might look into that gold chain.

Thanks,

Rod

Old 12-11-1999, 01:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

I called Progressive and got the most outrageous quote for 1 year of insurance: $1,200!!!!!!!! I couldn't believe my ears!!!!!! I guess I still need to shop around. I guess I'll try Allstate next, I purchased an auto warranty through them for a great price.

Old 12-11-1999, 03:52 AM
Pro Rider

Sorry about that mine is only $125 per year on 500sp.

Quick Reply: keeping your atv safe from theft