Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

What do you guys think of Polaris?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-1999, 12:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had my brand new year 2000 polaris xpedition 425 cc 5 speed for about 8 months now. I like the gear power. It goes as fast as I ever want to go. I like the shaft drive.

I dont like my radiator being exposed like it
is. Will probably find something to protect it in the spring. Its about 100 lbs. heavier then I would like it to be. I wish they would
make the front and back storage racks a little bit longer. I wish they would be able to give me an owners manual that was just for my atv instead of one manual for all of the atv's. I wish they would give us a longer warranty from the factory at purchase time.

rangerchet, polaris xpedition 425cc 5 speed.

ps: with the 4 gal. gas tank and extremely good gas mileage. It is amazing how far I can
go on a tank of gas. That is a very good quality.
[This message has been edited by rangerchet (edited 12-13-1999).]

[This message has been edited by rangerchet (edited 12-13-1999).]

Old 12-13-1999, 02:16 PM
Range Rover

I own a 2000 Polaris Sportsman 500.

Likes (some of the reasons I chose it):
- Comfort
- power
- traction (especially with 26" Mudrunners)
- handling
- size (like someone else said "big quad 4 a big guy)
- features (speedo, odo, lighted switches, etc)
- EBS
- fuel tank size
- grease it yourself (so it is done right!)
- composite racks
- rack size
- good headlights (could be better though - see below)
- has never left me stranded
- this thing runs through mud like no other (except the Max - LOL!)

Dislikes (some of the things i'd change)
- weight (could lose some weight!)
- brake life sucks
- tie rod end life sucks (Polaris know about this and is working on a remedy)
- no 4wd when using EBS
- shift on the fly low to high and vise versa
- split brakes
- flimsy front grill (cured by RSE Bumper and winch kit)
- short warranty (cured by complaining to Polaris, who extended mine.)
- Polaris parts service (not on the ball)
- that damn oil resivoir thingy!

And that's all i can think of right now! I am sure there is more of both good sand bads.

Wouldn't it be cool if a whole bunch of us could get together, regardless of brand, and do a big ride together?

Glenn.

Old 12-13-1999, 03:17 PM
Pro Rider

Lots of maintenance,
Breaks more frequently if abused.
Good for back roads. Can't take punishment.
Rich mans bike.
Get a Honda or a Yamaha. Less maintenance and less breakage. That is what i hear, especially with my buddy with the 97 SP.
He is going to a Grizzly.
Your choice though.
I just got a 2000 grizzly and it is amazing in everyway. A little bit of vibration and a bit of heat but little girl it might bother you, atleast i will come home everytime.
Take care and good luck.

Old 12-13-1999, 03:18 PM
Pro Rider

Lots of maintenance,
Rich mans bike.
Get a Honda or a Yamaha. Less maintenance and less breakage. That is what i hear, especially with my buddy with the 97 SP.
He is going to a Grizzly.
Your choice though.
I just got a 2000 grizzly and it is amazing in everyway. A little bit of vibration and a bit of heat but if your a little girl it might bother you, atleast i will come home everytime.
Take care and good luck.

Old 12-13-1999, 06:32 PM
Trailblazer

Lots of maintenance,
Rich mans bike.
Get a Honda or a....
Yam8, think you are in the wrong forum, we discuss about polaris here, not about yamaha.

Old 12-13-1999, 06:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

96 Magnum425 and 98 Sportsman500EBS. Well first the magnum.
Tough, the frame is very strong I think the strongest frame of any atv with a tough grill
It lasts, it is still on its original belt after 7,000 miles.
Powerful
Dislikes:
Everything I would say has been changed for the 2000 mag

Now the Sportsman Likes:
Rides very smooth
Best mudding Quad out there
Powerful and Quiet
The true four wheel drive
Dependable, never had a problem
Big gas tank

Dislikes:
Pouring oil in and checking it
Wish Polaris would build a domestic 500 for the 2001 Sportsman

Old 12-13-1999, 09:03 PM
Range Rover

I have a 95 300 express, I can tell you some thingh I wish Polaris would not have changed: I wish that they still had the Metal break handle Instead of that flimsey Plastic handle.
I also wish that (I know this will pi$$ a few people off)But I wish that they still had the steel racks instead of the composit racks. I don't like the fact if you roll or hit something They break instead of bend.when they bend you can at least streighten them. But the composits do look a little nicer.
Also I wish that polaris would come up with a better Plastic that didn't look like **** after a few months of use.
It would be nice if you could use all three lights on the quads with three light setup.
Other than that they are a great machine that you will get a great ride from for a long time if you treat it right.

ONE MORE THING I WISH THAT LITTLE BOTTLE FED, NIPPLE SUCKING, BED WETTING, **** RETENITVE,YAM8 WOULD GET HIS P.O.S. GRIZZLEY OFF THIS SIGHT AND SHUT OFF MOMMY & DADDY'S COMPUTER AND GET TO BED. TAKE A HINT YAM8 NOBODY HERE ENJOY'S YOUR POSTS SO JUST LEAVE AND NEVER COME BACK!!!

Old 12-15-1999, 02:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

i guess im the only one that does not care for ebs.robs to much power for my kind of riding(mostly dirt roads)

Old 12-15-1999, 05:41 PM
Range Rover

Dude how old are you three or so. he just stating his opion. Who cares?

------------------
99' Wolverine, FMF MegaMax2 Pipe, K&N jet kit and filter, OxLite brush guards,Skidplate, DuraBlue Elimanator axle and lift kit

Old 12-15-1999, 07:09 PM
Trailblazer

A lot of posts in this and other threads refer to the maintenance required on a Polaris. Here’s another perspective: I have a 97 Lakota (had 2—sold one already) that is a good quad, but after getting dunked a few times, all the steering and suspension joints started squeaking. Since my quads are going to get wet crossing streams and in the snow, I think being able to maintain (grease) them is necessary. Until someone invents truly waterproof, lifetime joints and fittings, I want to be able to add grease to extend the life of my vehicle.

An additional benefit of having several grease fittings to catch is that it provides the opportunity for you to check out all of the quad in the process. No grease fittings and maybe you skip looking for other problems that may be developing.

That being said, I really like the way the Scrambler handles snow. I will take everyone else’s word on the mudding ability. We don’t get mud in Colorado—it all blows down to Kansas. (That story about me finding the guy on a Honda under a helmet lying in the mud happened in Texas.)

My biggest complaint about the Scrambler is the price of the speedometer that’s available only from the dealer. I still haven’t figured out how to do my trick with a bicycle speedometer, but when I do, I will pass the secret on to you.

Quick Reply: What do you guys think of Polaris?