Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler 400 mods

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-1999 | 02:30 PM
|
Trailblazer

I am new to the ATV world, and have a new 99 Scrambler 400. I am considering the EPI clutch kit as my first mod, and plan to add a pipe and carb mods later. I would like to add some speed to the top end. I have been reading the forum here and am wondering if I should proceed with the plan as is, or hold off and go with something like the RCR stage 1 kit. It is kind of confusing, what with pipes tuned for all different ranges, etc. I want to make sure that I don't "cancel out" one mod with another. Also, does EPI make other high performance stuff, (like pipes) that I could add after the clutch? So far, my riding consists of trails and sand-bars.
Whaddya think, fellas?
Thanks

Old 12-26-1999 | 01:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

EPI only makes clutches.Be sure to tell them it is for a piped engine if you plan on doing that. If I was you, I would stay away from RCR. Get either Hot Seat, HPD, or EPI mods. RCR just doesn't hold up.It pretty much goes like this...once you buy one thing, you have to buy other things for that mod to work.

Old 12-26-1999 | 02:39 PM
Range Rover

I've heard nothing but bad news about Hot Seat pipes. I installed the RCR Stage 1 kit 2 months ago and love it. I put the mid-range pipe on and it woke up my whole power band. It was reasonably price and easy to install. The difference in throttle response is unbelievable. I'd recomend it to anyone.

Old 12-26-1999 | 04:56 PM
Pro Rider

If you have no mods to your ATv now, why would you change the clutch?

The term "clutch kit" is so missleading. There is no ONE almightly clutch kit thats works for everybody. When you call for a clutch kit the dealer should ask for mods to your motor, then ask what you are trying to acheive... I.E. quicker shiftout, higher RPM's, quicker backshift, ect.. and peice together what you need , be it just a new spring, or full out with weights and a helix.

Go with the RCR stage 1 kit, for $325 (including shipping) its the best place to start. Included will be a new primary spring (one that Ritter has found to best for that application).

I dont see how ryanmat can suggest Ritter's pipes don't stand up to a Hot Seat? Hot Seat pipes are junk and cost too much for what you get.

Go to "http://www.godigital-design.com/schultzmotorsports/"
and checkout the Wheels of Fame link. These Polaris' are top of the line and Nobody is running a Hot Seat pipe!!

------------------
Jerry Goodman '99 400L, '98 TBlazer

[This message has been edited by A400L (edited 12-26-1999).]

Screw it, I guess you'll ahve to type theURL manually!!

Old 12-26-1999 | 05:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

You can start with a clutch kit but i don't think it will give you the performance boost you are looking for... Better launch, more pull in the midrange...ect.. Be sure to tell the man what you are looking for..
Pipe!! now you are adding horsepower, but guess what...new clutch kit to go with it... The more mods you get the more changes to the clutch... But on the good side, you do get to learn a lot about pvts..
I think everyone has their fav. dealer for mods. I like HPD myself.. just had good experience with them..

------------------

Old 12-27-1999 | 02:01 PM
Pro Rider

Ryanmat,
If your friend is having trouble with an RcR kit , E-mail me his phone number, I will rectify the problem to his satisfaction.
Thank you ,
Rick Ritter
P.S. What kind of quad do you ride ?

Old 12-27-1999 | 02:56 PM
Trailblazer

I would pipe your Quad first. It will wake it up and you will then have an idea of how to doo the clutching.I got a pipe from PSI for my 96 sportsman 400 and made a big difference. It sounds like a snowmoblie engine but made a big difference. As for clutch work I am leaning towards aaen performance with the roller clutch and new helix.

Old 12-27-1999 | 11:10 PM
Pro Rider

If you are going to do some pipe and other changes later, don't do the clutch now. Sure, you can, but it's like the cart before the horse(power). Get an entire kit from a reputable aftermarket mfgr like RcR.

<A HREF="http://www.godigital-design.com/96Polaris.html">Schultz Motorsports</A>

Old 12-28-1999 | 11:20 AM
Trailblazer

You need to put anything you can find to make it faster, yesterday i beat a 99 scrambler 400 in a drag race with my y2k 300ex and it is totally stock, i thought i was going to lose but i got him off the start and just kept my lead for about 3 quad lengths the whole way, I would first put a pipe on it and then maybe a k&n air filter and just bolt on mods. RIDE ON!!!

00 300ex,,,,,,,96 Big Bear 4x4

Old 12-28-1999 | 11:45 AM
Range Rover

I doubt he was runnin it very hard because i could beat a modded 300ex when i was stock but i have a 500 scrambler

Quick Reply: Scrambler 400 mods