Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

MUD RIDERS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2001 | 07:10 PM
|
Range Rover

I have a 2000 400 4x4 xplor. My question is when attempting a mud bog which should I be in; Hi 4x4 or Low 4x4.How deep of a mud bog is my machine capable of? Half the tire,3/4 of the tire?

2000 winch
54" warn plow
epi sport utility clutch kit
delta 2 v-force reeds
stock tires

Old 06-07-2001 | 07:59 PM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

I stay in HIGH unless I want to crawl through the mu but mine is a 2X4. I am purchasing a 2001 Xplorer and wondered if you were satisfied with your purchase. Everyone says the 400 screems!

Old 06-07-2001 | 08:28 PM
Trailblazer

I have a 96 400sp and I nearly always ride it in low unless I'm on a open area,I've ridden it in mud up to the bottom of the seat with no problems.I assume the xplorer is similar to my 400sp less the three chains mine has.

Old 06-07-2001 | 10:23 PM
Pro Rider

For anything where you may become hung up on something, sucked down into the mud, or seriously slowed down in any way, you should DEFINATELY be in low. If you're in high gear, you can kiss your belt good-bye, as it will disintigrate it. It would be like pulling a cement block with a rubber band. Also, for slow crawling, low gear is recommended as well.

As for depth, if you ever have the clutch-side body plastic off, take a look at the vent hose running from the transmission cover. Where the open end of that hose is, is how deep you can go before you're SOL.

Old 06-07-2001 | 11:08 PM
Pro Rider

I always ride and mud in high gear...unless the mud is really thick or full of ruts. The Xplorer, in my opinion, can handle the mud because of the great amount of wheelspin it produces. The trick is to always have your wheels turning. If they ain't turnin'...you be burnin'! I have gone up to the air box snorkel before. The trick is to enter the deep mudholes without splashing water into the PVT area. Keep it staedy and the wave of water will be out front. A "safe" level would be under plastic beneith the seat.

Have a blast!

Old 06-08-2001 | 09:36 AM
Pro Rider

I use low range most of the time saves on belt wear and tear. I have had mud coming over the front rack and it tore right through the mud hole like I was on a dry trail, Keep on the throttle in the really deep stuff, but there really is no limit to how deep you can go. The Polaris is one amazing mudder. Even riding double with 2000 miles on my stockers I have no trouble in mud and water up to the seat.

Old 06-08-2001 | 09:42 AM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

Xploer is right. AS long as your wheels are moving the belt will not smoke. I mud constantly in high since the machine has been new. I do not know why but it seems the larger 4 strokes seem to be harder on belts. I ride with a Sportsman 500 that eats them ike candy. I heard EBS is what tears up the belts.

Old 06-08-2001 | 09:58 AM
Trailblazer

I agree with XEPathfinder, I keep mine in low, keep the R's up and never had a problem with munching belts or an average over the rack depth hole. Even trail riding keep it in low, still able to run up to 25 which is fast enough riding the whoops in trails where trees are 50" apart, open back road or open areas I will put it in high. The EBS doesnt eat belts.

Old 06-08-2001 | 07:10 PM
|
Range Rover

I'm real happy with my purchase of my xplor,for the money it's well worth it.Now back to the mud hole issue I'm talking MUD no water.Last weekend I was up Vermont and got stuck, riding double, in a MUD HOLE about abit higher than the running board.I had to winch on to my friends 98 xplor to pull me out.By the way he went around and so did the other 2 machines.I got to about half way and the bog just seemed to suck me down, wheels stopped and I was all done.(Never know until you try right?)I would just like to know if this MUD HOLE could have been conquered or if I would have needed mud tires,if even that would have helped? I was in low 4x4.

Old 06-08-2001 | 11:43 PM
Range Rover

I'm gonna have to dissagree with the guys that say stay in high as long as your wheels are moving. I have seen people at Fun Wheeler Park smoke there belts while riding in high in the mud, their tires may be spinning but thats how you burn up a belt. That could quickly cause transmission dammage too. It would be a good idea to use low when carrying loads, pulling, mudding, climbing and doing constant stop and go's. Your machine is capable of going up to the seat if you do a water wheelie.

Quick Reply: MUD RIDERS?