Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

RCR MODS

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-1999, 02:13 PM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have finally decided to mod my ATV (93 TB) and wanted to hear about RCR mods. What clutch mods work best for the 250 tow-stroke motor(Mid and lo end increases)? Are the mods worth the $325 for the kit? Will the new airbox loose waterproofing? Should I buy a K&N air filter in addition to the kit? Will the mods reduce the life of the engine?

I have heard the modified 250 will be as fast as a stock 400? Do the mods make that big of a difference?

Old 12-17-1999, 10:32 PM
Range Rover

I put the kit on a '99 Sport. Definitely worth $320. He gives you the stock HPD spring with the kit unless you ask for something else. I haven't had a problem with the air box mods and water, and my bike gets very wet when I ride. He recomends, and includes a Uni air filter with the kit. I doubt with the kit you will get a 'Blazer as fast as a stock Sport though.

Old 12-17-1999, 11:53 PM
Pro Rider

Weedy,
I don't know about the RCR kit but my 99 trailblazer with Hotseat and HPD mods on it will hang with a stock to slightly modified 400 sport. My brother, who has the 400, has a measured 300ft straightaway that we time each other on. These times are averages and the runs were all on 70 degree days. With his slightly modified his average was 7.22 sec. Now since he added the 38mm carb its 6.46 sec. My times with a near stock Tb are 7.82 sec. to 6.85 sec. with the mods that I have so far. The last time we ran together his 400 pulled my 250 by a good length or so at the 300 foot mark. I don't claim to have the top end he does and I'm sure in longer runs that margin would greatly increase. Top speed isn't much of a factor on the trails that we ride. So have some fun with it, mod it out and go run with the big boys. When you get tired of it and want MORE POWER go to the 400 scrambler its one bad a$$ ATV.

JIM 99 TB RIDE SAFE AND HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!

Old 12-19-1999, 09:41 AM

Good info,
Where did you buy yuor HPD MODS? Did you get a pipe, clutch and new jetting? I have talked to RCR and they make their own pipe for the newer models but not for my old 1993 Trail Boss. The RCR kit for $280 comes with a DG pipe, new carb jetting, an air filter and a new clutch setup. (It comes with an RCR pipe for the newer models) I have heard that the RCR pipes and MODS are bad A$$ dudes but I do not know if a DG pipe is worth the $$$$$$$. I want $ down low because we ride in a river bottom and rarely get over 30MPH. The airbox mod is not available for my 1993 from RCR. Water proofing is a big concern because I ride in deep water (thank God for grease fittings) but I have been told a UNI filter or a K&N really makes a difference. If quads were not so high in price I would sell mine and buy a faster one but....... It is SO much cheaper to modify my PAID FOR machine!

Old 12-19-1999, 02:15 PM
Pro Rider

Weedy,
I only got the trailpipe from HPD so the rest was from Hotseat. I've heard the Hotseat pipes have been known to blow out. A friend of my brothers had that happen to his!
Surffing through the past forums RCR seems to be the most popular pipe for Polaris. I've not heard a thing about DG's stuff. My air box has been completely removed and a K&N Filtercharger installed in its place and covered with Outerwears for water protection.
I don't ride through deep water though!

Good luck with your mods.

JIM 99TB RIDE SAFE & HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-19-1999, 03:53 PM

Jim
Does HPD have an order direct thing like RCR? I am after low end, does the HPD improve down low? Did you rejet your carb? Sounds like you are quite happy with the performance of your machine.

Old 12-19-1999, 06:23 PM
Pro Rider

Weedy,
YES, HPD site is very similar to RCR's but you have to pay for shipping. I have the trailpipe it covers the whole RPM range. It does have alot more lowend power. The pipe will come with a new main jet.
HPD web site is www.hpd-inc.com

I just got finished trimming an inch and a half of plastic off the front fenders and got rid of the dumbo ears look that it had.

YES, I am very happy with it. Hope you can have as much fun with yours.

JIM 99TB RIDE SAFE & HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trending Topics

Old 12-19-1999, 07:33 PM

Who did you get your clutch mod from? Have you replaced your tires yet? I replaced my rear tires with KENDA Bearclaws and I have since NOT gotton stuck! (25X12X10) Look into them if you want more traction.

Old 12-20-1999, 07:40 PM
Pro Rider

Weedy,
Got my clutch kit from Hotseat. It came with a brown primary/ white secondary springs , w-49 weights and there helix. I think it cost $160 dollars. The wheels and tires are going to have to wait until this summer but I want to get the Holeshot XCT's and Douglas wheels.
GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR MODS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JIM 99 TB

Old 12-21-1999, 12:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

i HAVE A 97 TB , IT HAS THE RCR MODS ADDED,W/ FAST TREKKER FRONT AND BACK TIRES AND DOUGLAS WHEELS. My advice is to sell the quad nd buy something worth buying! The polaris sucks! They are slow and heavy, even w/ mods. Save your money for a down payment on a honda or yamaha. Sorry for badmouthing polaris but they are junk!!!

Quick Reply: RCR MODS