Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

plowing with the scrambler 400

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-1999 | 03:20 PM
|
Trailblazer

My 99 scrambler 400 is about 2 weeks old (I suspect it was kept in the back at the dealer's and used as the shop toy, but that's another story). Anyway, I bought a Cycle Country blade and manual lift kit for it, and we had our first snowfall yesterday (in Iowa). I pinned the plow to the mounting brackets and set up the lift cable and headed out of the garage in search of something to push around. I was quite anxious to see how the 400 would handle the blade and the wet, heavy snow ( 3 to 5 inches worth).
I was not disappointed. The scrambler shoved the heavy snow around and wasn't even breathing hard. I plowed 15 driveways in the neighborhood, and the sidewalk for the entire block, and was looking for more to do. It took me all of about 90 minutes. I plowed for awhile in 2wd, but found that backing away from a freshly plowed pile of snow and back up the driveway was more easily accomplished with the 4wd engaged.
Lifting and lowering the blade was easily accomplished with the lift handle on the left side of the quad, although I need to adjust the travel of the handle so that it stops just before reaching the front fender.

Once done with the "work", I unpinned the plow, undid the lift cable (takes about 30 seconds) and had a ball in the snow covered fields out back.

As I told the neighbors, this was a "free trial", the next heavy snowfall I plan on charging to do the driveways and sidewalks. Got to recover the cost of the equipment, you know ;-)

Let it $now, let it $now, let it $now!

Old 12-20-1999 | 04:05 PM
Trailblazer

What was your total cost to get into the plow? I have been considering putting one on my Scrambler 500 and you make it sound like a good idea.

Old 12-20-1999 | 04:49 PM
|
Trailblazer

Retail is about $480 - includes blade, mounting and manual lift kit. Cheaper than a good snowblower, assuming you don't include the price of the quad. The dealer wanted another $90 to put it together, but I did it myself. It took me about 3 hours to put it together and mount it on the quad the first time. The instructions are so-so, but they do have pictures that are pretty self explanitory. For example, the instructions didn't say anything at all about the mechanism for adjusting the angle of the blade, but again, there is a picture of it, if you look close. It also has adjustable skid shoes so you can manipulate how close to the ground the blade rides.

Anyone who is fairly handy with a wrench should have no problems with it, and it does work slick. It takes me about 5 minutes to do a standard driveway (2 cars wide by 2 cars long).

Hawk - 99 scrambler 400

Old 12-20-1999 | 07:37 PM
Range Rover

Ummm, not to sound too simple...

When you remove the plow and it's attachment apparatus, what is left on the machine?

I love the idea if it is an easy on and off.

I can only hope Quad man gets one, for then it will be photographed and thoroughly explained!! (a plug for the scramblers domain )

------------------
Rich Weinssen 1999 Scrambler 500 2000 Scrambler 500 2000 Trail Boss 1998 Magnum 425

Old 12-21-1999 | 11:05 AM
|
Trailblazer

The only thing left on the quad is a flat bar that runs across the underbelly from floorboard mount to floorboard mount. I would guess it's height to be 1/8 to 1/4 inch. It has two tabs that stick down about 1.5 inches that have holes in them for the attaching pins.

I can't see how these could possibly cause any problems - they haven't with mine. I will remove it in the spring, but simply to remove the weight, about 3 - 5 pounds, I would guess.

------------------

Old 12-21-1999 | 11:32 AM
Range Rover

hawkman where in iowa are you from?I live in fort dodge.My friend has a 00' scrambler 500 with a 60inch blade he loves it.I wish i had enough money to buy and atv but i dont have near enough yet i am saving for either a scrambler 500 or a honda rancher(toe shift 4x4 model).
I was also considering the trailblazer for a 1st because ppl have said it reliable.

Old 12-21-1999 | 01:30 PM
|
Trailblazer

Trail -

I am in the Des Moines suburb of Urbandale. If you've ever been to Des Moines, I imagine you came down I-35. If you did, you probably hit I-80 and went west. If you did, you crossed over the Des Moines River and saw all the sand bars with quad tracks.

Been there. Done that. ;-)

------------------

Old 12-21-1999 | 01:37 PM
|
Trailblazer

Trail -

Check the icons on the posts to the right of where it says "posted". one of them allows you to see the profile of the poster including location, assuming they filled it out when they registered.

------------------

[This message has been edited by hawkman (edited 12-21-1999).]

Old 12-21-1999 | 10:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 99 Sport and was wondering if this same plow would bolt to it. I live in a heavy snowed area, and might could make some money off of my neighboors.

Old 12-22-1999 | 12:06 AM
Pro Rider

Rich, thanks for the plug. :-) However, we don't get much snow down here in Austin, Texas! I guess I could buy one anyway though just for yall.... :-)

Quick Reply: plowing with the scrambler 400