Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Oh, oh! We could be in trouble. (new Grizzly)

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2001, 09:14 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree. The thing is out for a day and they say it's better than the V-twin???? I'll wait for the shootouts and I think the Yamaha people are gonna be dissapointed when the Prairie 650 is crowned the king[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I'll admit that the front end looks really sweet on the Grizz, but IRS doesn't make it better.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-14-2001, 05:56 PM
Pro Rider

Kawasaki could have been a contender if it had IRS suspension.

I mostly trail and mud ride I am done with stiff riding swing arm suspensions.

As they say in the squared circle " Just bring it..." and may the best quad win.

Old 06-14-2001, 06:27 PM
Pro Rider

I think Polaris is "On The Way Out" if they don't lose some weight and get some real power. A 680cc in line twin has very little advantage over a single cylinder of the same displacement. Did you know that a 4-stroke in-line twin has the pistons going up and down together? The total reciprocating mass is far more than a single cylinder and requires an even larger balance shaft to keep things from shaking up. A v-twin, which usually shares the crank journal with both connecting rods, at least offsets the forces somewhat. They're all pigs without balance shafts. A two stroke twin, in contrast, has the pistons going opposite each other, one going up while the other is going down. This is all because it takes a 4-cycle engine 720 degrees to complete a cycle, and a two-stroke only 360. In-line three and five cylinder 4-strokes are best, even 4-cylinder 4-strokes, where each cylinder is 180 degrees apart, have balance problems and limitations. It wasn't until Mitsubushi came up with the balance shaft that we saw decent high reving 4-bangers over 2.4 liters. So, in-line twin? still 700 lbs? They gotta do better than that. The Polaris faithful will still buy one, but for the rest of us, Polaris is "ON THE WAY OUT!".[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 06-15-2001, 01:29 AM
Pro Rider

Odin, I know that IRS is great in some ways, but you also lose ground clearance when its weighted down. It will be interesting to see which machine works best at what. The Kawasaki 650 has a better rear shock than their 400 and is supposed to be very nearly as comfortable a ride as the Sportsman. With its sealed rear "wet" brake, it has one less thing to wear out in the mud. I wonder about a push button locking front end on the Grizzly too. With the Kawasaki you can control how much grab it has so you can still have steering control, and at any speed. The biggest plus on the Kawasaki may be the low center of gravity. The engine is almost vibration free too with very quick throttle response. Sorry if I sound like I'm pushing the Kawasaki. I only had a short ride on one, but I was really impressed. If the Grizzly turns out to be as good or better, then congradulations Yamaha, but I'll have to ride one to believe it. Before you buy anything else, I hope you test ride a Prairie. That is the only way to know which one is best for you. Polaris, Suzuki, Honda etc. have their work cut out, but they won't see sales slip for too long without making changes. Here in Canada the Sportsman 500 H.O. is a lot cheaper than the Rubicon or 650, so it still appeals to lots of riders. Someone said that they thought the Fuji engine was gutless, but for a 500 C.C. engine pushing nearly 700 pounds, it does very well.

Old 06-15-2001, 02:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'm sick and tired of all this complaning!!!

Haven't You Guys Heard about the new SPORTSMAN 700 IN-LINE TWIN. Its coming out. Last I heard from my friend that works at polaris its going to come out in November. There is also going to be a Scambler 700 with the same motor. I would tell you more but right now I dont feel like typing a eassy. Feel free to ask me your questions. I know quite a bit of info.

Old 06-15-2001, 11:21 AM
Pro Rider

***Sorry if I sound like I'm pushing the Kawasaki...

Well aren't you?

***Before you buy anything else, I hope you test ride a Prairie.

Please...

How much different from a Magnum can it really be?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ripper, Ripper!

Wake up Ripper, haven't you read any of the thread before you posted?

Old 06-15-2001, 12:56 PM
Pro Rider

My only concern with this new Grizz is the apparent lack of an anti-sway bar. The anti-sway bar on the SP does a great job. I'm sure Yamaha considered this. In the video and stills on the website, there appears to be no sway bar. hmm[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 06-15-2001, 02:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes there is anti-sway bar. Its a small one in front of the shocks and down lower.

Old 06-15-2001, 03:57 PM
Range Rover

Hey 3tv,

I resemble that remark!!!!

Sold the old 99 magnum and picking up new RMK next week!! HA HA HA
Don't want no Prarie With an Aluminum Swing arm. I know how tough the Magnum is already. Put 1350 miles on mine and trouble free, only sold because the RMK has features that are an up grade to my old one.

I feel MY decision is based on sound judgment and not hyperbally!

Old 06-15-2001, 04:28 PM
Trailblazer

nothing for nothing but,if your neighbor runs out and buys a new wide screen do you have to have one ??? or if they get a new pool or a new car do you have to run out and buy the same or the other model thats better just because of what they bought?? really it must be nice to have money to buy a new toy everytime someone comes out with something that might be better than what you have now..i cant understand why you think you need a 660 c.c machine..damn if they get biger you should just buy an old 4x4 truck to run with..im not trying to flame anybody but it seems like people have nothing better to do than worry about what everyone else has,kinda reminds me of when i was a kid and if someone else got a toy we cried begged and pleaded with momma to get us one..give it a rest who cares,get out and ride what you have..im beginning to wonder how old everyone is here??? no wonder i dont come to these sites much anymore

Quick Reply: Oh, oh! We could be in trouble. (new Grizzly)