Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Better hurry Polaris! Customers are flying out the door!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2001, 10:14 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<< ...Why didn't they put the EFI in the sp700?? I would think it would be a good selling point... >>

Well, for the sake of simplicity I would prefer a carburetor. I can take apart and repair a Kehin, Mikuni, Holley or a Quadrajet but tuning a fuel injection system is beyond my limited tools and learning curve.

Does fuel injection function under water? I believe a carburetor would also be more reliable under ATV operating conditions.

Fuel injection can live in a snowmobile or an outboard motor but I don't know about a submerged atv. What do you think? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 06-14-2001, 10:37 AM
Pro Rider

I agree a carb is better suited to ATV use than EFI. There are SO many things people do on their ATVs (airbox mods, pipes, snorkels, etc) that they have to re-jet I wonder if the EFI would be able to compensate for all that. I'm sure it could be done, but not by the backyard shadetree mechanic, and I think it would involve more than swapping $10 worth of jets or moving a needle.
As for more features, a bigger engine, and no more weight, I think it would be fairly easy to accomplish. Honestly, I bet they could make it lighter if they really tried. There is about 50 to 100 pounds they could shave off most of the bikes they make now, if they wanted to go to the time, trouble, and expense. Chromoly frames &amp; more aluminum could help considerably. But, if you do that, you take away one of the features us 'backwards hicks' like about them, the ability to straighten and re-weld things on them without weakening it. You can weld a cracked Polaris frame with a good wire-feed. You can straighten a bent frame tube &amp; weld on a brace. Neither will notably weaken the frame. To weld Chromoly steel takes special know-how and a TIG welder to do it right.
Also, a twin cylinder engine is usually LIGHTER than a single cylinder of the same size/HP, so I doubt the 680 twin would weigh much more than the 500 single. I suppose it would lose part of its 'caddilac ride' if it was lighter, too.

One thing I have heard about the 2002 models is the 4wd mechanism has been moved from inside the hub over to the front diferential. Makes sense as the wires to the magnets would be better protected (that is assuming they still use the magnets).

Old 06-14-2001, 11:33 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Odin, are you $hitting us here or do you really know something. Where do you dig up all that inside junk anyway? Brittish intelligence?? KGB??? Polaris Secret Service???

Old 06-14-2001, 11:43 AM
Pro Rider

If the new quad will indeed have an inline 680 twin, then Polaris must have redesigned the clutches as well. Think about how wide the motor and clutch would be with an inline twin. The clutch would stick out one side, and the cylinder stick out the other. Anyone who's done a snowmobile motor conversion in a 3/4 wheeler knows what I'm talking about. Hope its not uncomfortably wide.

Old 06-14-2001, 12:17 PM
Trailblazer

I cant take it any more i cant wait!!!!!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] LOL I am very interested in the sportsman 700 i want it to be really fast like faster than a warrior and 400ex you guys think it will be? And when do you think it will be out?

Old 06-14-2001, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider

P.S.S. Polaris Secret Service There are so many things I could say about the new quad coming out. But our last poster hit the PVT on the head &quot; new clutch &quot;, frame and suspension... more to come.

BTW the R&amp;D department at Roseau just purchased a 650 twin kawasaki and guess what? The 650 does a good job up until 30mph and then... gets smoked.

Boys it's going to be a good summer.

Old 06-14-2001, 01:51 PM
Trailblazer

What's next steering wheels? Cruise control? Power door locks?

If these things get any bigger/heaver....I think the word is JEEP.

Old 06-14-2001, 03:02 PM
Pro Rider

Odin,

the kawie 650 isnt what polaris should worry about, the new Griz is. From what u have said it sounds like a great machine.

I just hope Polaris isnt a day late and a dollar short when they introduce the sp700!!!

you must have VERY good contacts with the roseau plant to know that they bought a kawie650.

later
jon

Old 06-14-2001, 03:15 PM
Pro Rider

I can't wait to find out

Old 06-14-2001, 03:23 PM
Pro Rider

Odin,

Any word on the price of the new SP?

-Josh

Quick Reply: Better hurry Polaris! Customers are flying out the door!