Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Full bore mod

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-1999, 09:14 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a 99 500 scrambler and i want more power captain. I already have a clutch kit and a differt pipe comin soon and a jet kit. The hotseat pipe by the way is junk. I was wondering if anyone makes high-performance cam. I no wiesco makes the high comperssion pistons but i though if I was going to get the pistons might as well get the cam. And is there any other mods i can do. im not into the big bore kits (to much money). And its not that my polaris is week. Its because im going to be running harescrambles this summer. By the way i dont care for top end i want a really good bottom-end

thanks for any info and have a MERRY CHRISTMAS

------------------
99 500 scrambler with hotseat pipe and clutch dg bumper soon to have pistons and air box mod 93 yamaha t-wolve with a broken taillight soon to be fixed tailight is now fixed now need to fix headlight

Old 12-22-1999, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider

Try a larger carb from Aaen or Hotseat, I think they are 42mm.

Old 12-22-1999, 10:32 PM
Range Rover

Yeah someone else said something about a bigger carb are they a big improvment.
Anyways do you now of any companies that make the cam and pistons.

Old 12-22-1999, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider

Speaking of better bottom end (And who doesn't want a better bottom end!) Does anyone know if it's possible to gear down a Scrambler? Would that put the 4WD in a bind when engaged or wouldn't that matter on this system? Any ideas???
just a thought...

------------------
Andrew Thomas

'99 Scrambler 400 & '99 Trailblazer, both with RCR mods.

Old 12-22-1999, 10:58 PM
Range Rover

Whiskey

Call Rick Ritter at RitterCycleRacing.com, I dont know what he has for the 500, but he made my 400 into a monster. His # is at the end of the web page

Old 12-23-1999, 12:55 AM
Trailblazer

I wish i had better news but the 500 takes a seat for now due to motor complications. A cam is in the very near future for a few shops. There are two obsticals to over come. First off if you think you are installing a hotter cam with the rest of the bike bone stock you will be in for a rude awakaning. The second obstical is the piston clearance. If you change the valve lift or valve duration the valves will hit the piston. To solve this problem you will have to install a piston will valve reliefs ( Notches cut out of the piston to accomodate the valves . Olav Aaen told me that wiseco will have a piston soon that is lighter, raises the compression and has valve reliefs. This kills three birds with one stone. The higher compression piston will give you more power and the fact that the piston is lighter will reduce the reciprocating mass thus making the engine rev faster. The cam profiles may vary per manufacturers but for the most part that will aim for more midrange and top end. After all is said and done there is one more obstical that unfortunatly makes motor upgrades less effective. The cylinder head. I have mentioned in other posts that the 500 head was designed for a 2 into 1 exhaust system like the Honda 400ex. If you haven't seen a 400ex up close there is two exhaust ports and two exhaust tubes that merge at some point. Somewhere along the line Polaris desided to make is a single exhaust. The result is a poorly flowing exhaust port that causes the gas to speed up then slow down. For optimal results porting will be required but is not totally necissary. So far neither HPD, Aaen performance or anyother shop seems to be porting the 500 heads and the piston is not yet available. There are aftermarket pistons for the 500 but none with valve reliefs. It would be better to just wait and do it all at once. Olav Aaen has told me that he has worked the 500 to some success but there is no demand for it yet. Besides there are way more 2 stroke Polari coming through the door than 4 strokes ( Snowmobiles included ).

As far as pipes i the FMF is probably the best route because it is tunable and they are know to make good products. I have the Aaen megaphone pipe but jetting the carb or replacing the carb with a larger one is highly recommended.

A clutch kit is the most worth while improvement and i can only recommend the roller clutch because of the performance advantage and low maintenance ( No button wear / PVT dust ). The great thing about the clutch kit is that it requires no other modification to make it work at its peak.

Chris Picciotto
99 Scrambler 500