Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

low oil light question...

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-1999 | 03:15 AM
|
Range Rover

i was wondering....today i was riding and a question came to mind. i hear several people say "the oil injection is bad because if it ever fails you will never know and you can blow your engine. hmmmm, if this idea of mine doesn't exist, i should suggest it to polaris for a new idea. i was thinking...the low oil light, i am guessing that this light comes on when your oil is low in the 2 cylce container. but suppose there was a censor of some type where the oil actually feeds to where it is mixed with the gas? or is there? then this would prevent blowing your engine. the censor would sense a lack of oil and the light would go on. i am sure you would try filling the container, but if it still went on, then you would have to check the light itself and the injection system to see why it was coming on. maybe this is how it works, but i doubt it. has anyone ever expirienced any trouble with their injection system? i really like having the injection. i surely don't miss having to premix. i love being able to go to the gas staiton and gas up, and not have to deal with the oil.

Old 12-25-1999 | 12:35 PM
Trailblazer

An oil low light in the tank would be nice.

A warning light that tells you there is no oil going to the engine would be useless because by the time you noticed it and turned off your engine there would already be engine damage.

I have NEVER had a problem with oil injection.

AMA 99 Sportsman Any questions...ASK

Old 12-25-1999 | 01:01 PM
Pro Rider

True, I also think the exposure that bad oil-injection pumps get is highly over rated. It seems more people are mearly removing them out of fear, rather than necessity. Mine was removed because my motor mods dictated a different mix ratio. Honestly I have never seen, or even heard of an injector pump going bad.

------------------
Jerry Goodman '99 400L, '98 TBlazer

Old 12-25-1999 | 09:21 PM
Pro Rider

Actually I think that wouldn't be that bad of an idea. Now they have a sensor that senses when the oil in the oil reservoir is low. They could have one light for that and another for sensing if it is getting to the engine. Maybe if it's not, they could have it kill the engine. Don't know if that electrical stuff would hold up or not but at least would give you a chance to stop your engine. Or maybe hooked to an air horn, and when it's not getting it's oil, blow the air horn! That would let you know! Also the whole neighborhood would know.