Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

The 700 Twin X-File

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2001, 06:40 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,
Odin has it right, There is a Sportsman 700, I asked my dealer what polaris would have to compete with the Griz, and Kawie, and he's like Sportsman 700, before I even mentioned anything. But, he said, most likely it'll be a pig, thats where I think they lose there advantage, on the weight. Do you think that 20CC's will make up for 100+ pounds? I doubt it, but only time will tell. For now, I have ordered a new Grizz, IF the sportsman is super spectacular, I'll trade the Grizz in on one. :-) Its a buyers market, FINALLY!

-Jared

Old 06-19-2001, 07:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

99GRIZ,
You have your guts to glorify the new Grizz,especially when NO ONE owns one yet.

The past Grizz's dont exactly have a very good track record for reliability either,in fact,from what I've seen/heard,its worse.

While I do agree that the specs on the new Grizz are very eye catching,lets not glorify one ATV and slam the other until they been out for awhile,
Bill

Old 06-19-2001, 08:36 AM
Pro Rider

i cant believe that 99griz said everyone would buy one only because its a 700 when infact thats the only thing that made the grizzly sell when it came out.dont worry about the 700 being faster with 20cc more when it was faster with 499 cc ho than the grizzlys600.my friend had a 99 grizz and evrytime we rode and got into a rocky ditch he would get in a bind and start 3 wheeling and gets stuck.i would tell him to put it in 4 wheel drive and he says he already is and i say no your not you are in 3 wheel drive laughing!!!!!!!!!!!!i go thru with no problem.

Old 06-19-2001, 08:38 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

GUYS,
it seems strange to me that ALL the dealers in my area don't know a DAMN THING about a new 700 Whatever!
polaris should have 'little leaks' to their DEALER NETWORK so that their dealers don't look like either LIERS or IDIOTS by claiming not to know ANYTHING about a new machine that is comming-out this fall!
also, have you tried to email POLARIS with a concern? i have......about 7 times! they NEVER respond! (and tom tiller sits there scratching his head wondering why ATV sales were off SO MUCH last year compared to the competition.)

Polaris has a LONG road ahead of them. my reasons are few, but i'm going to stick it out with them and wait for that new 700 and BUY ANOTHER POLARIS!!!!!!!

Old 06-19-2001, 09:14 AM
Trailblazer

Don't give up on Polaris after all they gave us the Sportsman in the first place, the other guys had to build new machines from the ground up to beat it. Should say assume they beat the Sportsman, to early to really tell. Before we start a boycott we should let Polaris actually release the new machines before we write them off.

Old 06-19-2001, 09:24 AM
Range Rover

Now if Polaris could just make the machine light weight, they might have a winner. However, knowing Polaris the way I do, they'll be lucky if the machine comes in under 700 lbs let alone anywhere near 600 lbs. Perhaps they should hire some welders who know how to weld chrome-molly steel.

Old 06-19-2001, 11:07 AM
Pro Rider

<< Hey guys, Odin has it right, There is a Sportsman 700, I asked my dealer ...he said, most likely it'll be a pig, thats where I think they lose there advantage, on the weight... Its a buyers market, FINALLY! -Jared >>

This is exactly the heart of the matter.

Will the new Sportsman 700 be light enough? If it only 2-3 mph faster than the HO will it pull buyers like a magnet? I think a lot of HO owners will keep their present machine or opt for one of the new offerings from Yamaha or perhaps the Arctic Cat if they introduce IRS.

If the competition offers IRS and lower weight, that is where the herd is going to migrate. It sure is a lot easier extracting a 580 lb. quad from the muskeg than a 730 lb. one. Plus the lighter quads don't sink as deep in the muck to start with as a laden Sportsman 500.

Lighten up Polaris!

Old 06-19-2001, 02:10 PM
Pro Rider

Mike itis not that US WELDERS at polaris don,t know How to weld Chromeolly it is that they don,t buy it becuse it is so costly to get. I would really like to get some chrome in there to lighten up those wheelers.

Old 06-19-2001, 02:33 PM
Trailblazer

Yes,I used to buy into how reliable the sportsman was,until I bought one and had to repair it constantly. You couldn't keep the shifting linkage from going out of adjustment,I thought it was just because of rider abuse,until I saw a magazine article that complained about the linkage coming out of adjustment, to the point that it wouldn't go into gear. I bought the sportsman over the grizzly originally because it was liquid cooled,well needless to say,the sp 500 overheated,while the grizzly hasn't and it has that inferior air cooling. The true 4wd was a joke also,sometimes it would engage and sometimes it wouldn't.

Old 06-19-2001, 07:02 PM
Pro Rider

I just love Polaris bashers. Preach on brother! Spread the word Gizz. You know what is strange I have over 15,000+ miles of riding between 8 close friends on Polaris quads over the years and not one break down. Imagine that? But my 450 Honda got towed out. I've seen Yamahas over heat on the same rides. Why is this Grizz? Evey rally I go to Polaris quads every where but I never see anybody broken down. Where are all these broken down POS quads you speak of?

99 Grizz now that is an oxymoron for reliablity.

Quick Reply: The 700 Twin X-File