Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

my first quad (well kind of)

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-1999, 12:41 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well I just got a polaris cyclone 250 x. and I have a few questions. why did polaris only make this quad one year? is there an electric start kit availible? Ok. now to the main point. When i purchased this quad from a old man (which he now owns a 00 banshee) he said he hadn't started it up in over a year. (i bought it for $400) I get it home and the engine is locked up. i pull on the rope and It does nothing. the rope doesn't even come out. What can I do? How would I correct this? I am well familar with automobile engines (but i know 2 strokes are way different) so I am requesting help on what might be done to "unlock" the engine. thanks for anything.

Old 12-26-1999, 01:08 AM
Pro Rider

There is so many things that it could be that it is hard to know not being there in person. It could be something as simple as the clutch cover gasket getting pinched into the clutch, to the oil line breaking, leaking, or having a pin hole that caused the engine to sieze. Any more details?

Old 12-26-1999, 01:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

what kind of details?

Old 12-26-1999, 01:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

well as far as i can tell the clutch's aaren't locked. because I can put it in gear and my friend can push me down the road. (i tried to roll start it.) but the engine didn't turn. The engine its self appears to be fine. i am going to pull of the starter housing and look at it, well rebuild it. but i dont want to touch the engine if i know nothing about the princiable of it. the fathest i will go on my engine is top end. Can someone please tell me why polaris Jug's are so damn big? (cylider) I would work on my quad but um... its 4 hours away from where im at(im at my grannys) and when i get home my dad is taking it in to the shop for a new pipe, clutch's and probably a reed cage if possible. any recomedations? i thank you all that replyed to my post. My friend has a suzuki lt250 and i was just wondering if i will be able to beat him in anyway. (his is stock) will i be able to out accelerate him? or out run him? thankx again!
charlie

87 cyclone 250-x

Old 12-26-1999, 02:18 PM
Range Rover

well, you know about automobile engines...does it seem like the piston is froze, or does it just seem like its in the pull started itself? if it sat for awhile, i imagine that alls kinds of stuff could seize up just from sitting. if you know maybe someone that know about 2 strokes, i would take the engine off, and at least maybe pull the head off it. maybe check the pull starter. i'm not very familiar with polaris, especially older models. been wondering how my scrambler is going to be to work on. i know alittle about 2 strokes. tinkered around with them here and there. well, like rooster said, unless you get in there and look around, its hard to say. well, goodluck

Old 12-26-1999, 02:31 PM
Pro Rider

Why are you getting a pipe clutch and reeds put on it? When it won't RUN!?

Take out the spark plug Spray a can of WD-40 on it..Let it soak in..awhile you are doing that..take off the pull starter cover..get a piece of pipe that will fit into the metal that the pull start grabs on to..Push, Pull, grunt and cuss til it breaks loose!

The Pistol is probably frozen to the cylinder

Old 12-26-1999, 02:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

No see. once i get it going Then i will start the mods. any suggestions on what to buy? any help is appreciated!

1987 cyclone 250x
19?? suzuki lt80j with lots of mods
(am selling it for $1000 and its goin goin gone! lol)

Old 12-26-1999, 04:22 PM
Trailblazer

i got a cyclone myself. i sold my sold my stock one but i still have my big bore 300cc one. i got the pro-5 pipe on it. it is extremely loud. do not buy it if you trail ride. it is loud enough where you have to wear earplugs and it still rings your ears alittle bit. i used it strictly for mudbog racing when i used to race. i run my own custom clutch kit and it brings the engagment up a tad from stock and a 48/34 helix. i run a 13 tooth front sprocket. and a 42 rear sprocket (stock). with superswamper tsl rear tires(or another pair of spider tracs) they both work very well on that machine. if you change the carb put a 38mm tmx style carb on it. there are no reeds so you cant change those ( its just a piston port motor). and i found that a uni air filter gains the mostimprovement airfilter wise. off hand i dont know anybody who may still manufacture performance parts for the cyclone considering it is 13 years old and was only made for one year. well i hope i helped alittle bit on that. as for the motor locked up, pull the head and cylinder off. chances are that the cylinder will need to be bored out anyway.if thats not it then you will most likely have to rebuild the crank. another thing you may want to watch out on the quad is the rear brake. they are the exact same setup as on the blaster. they are of very poor design, but if you need parts you can order them right from a yamaha dealer seeing as that the parts for the brakes through polaris are discontinued. im sorry for the long winded reply. good luck with the quad

Old 12-27-1999, 04:21 AM
Range Rover

The cyclones already have a big carb on them stock from the factory, well bigger than the current 250cc 2-strokes, I had a 250 trail boss and had good luck modifying the clutch, and making shure it was in good condition. Another problem the Polaris had on the early atvs were the front shocks going out they will leak oil from the top and clunk on bumps. If you have the engine running good, and suspention to match you should be able to keep up on a trail ride

look for mods at hpd, and aaen performance

------------------
Maxrules...at sucking.

Old 12-27-1999, 11:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

hey thank you all for the info. im just wandering about one more thing, why did polaris only make this quad for one year?
charlie g.

1987 cyclone 250x

Quick Reply: my first quad (well kind of)