Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

flying quad rider = smashed Scrambler muffler

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2001 | 02:37 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

I just side swiped a chain link fence with my 2001 Scrambler 500 4X4. The only damage was to the muffler hanging out the side. Looks like a beer can that someone bent in two.

Of course everyone but me thought it was hysterical. I flew off the quad and sailed past the corner of the house (without the quad which stuck itself on the fence) and into the my neighbor's yard. All everyone saw was a rider flying into the yard under his own propulsion. Landing was not graceful, got a face/hemet full of dirt. A few of the local boys asked me if I could wait until they got their video cameras and then could I try it again. Yuk, yuk...

I'd like to go with a replacement instead of stock, but am very concerned about the sound level. A lot of my riding is done on trails around the local housing plans and I don't want to irritate the neighbors.

Any suggestions as to what I can replace the stock muffler with that is pretty tame sounding?????

Thanks!

Old 06-23-2001 | 05:41 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry about your luck bud, I can recommend a couple aftermarket companies that have performance pipes for the scrambler 500.

HPD racing

HotSeatPerformance

Good Luck!!!

2000 SCRAMBLER 400 2X4

SCRAMDADDY400

Old 06-23-2001 | 09:19 PM
Range Rover

personly i think you should get a FMFmegmax 2 they are awesome they give u alot of powere and u can make them loud or quiet and with all the clips on it sounds almost like stock. so i would go with that

Old 06-24-2001 | 11:21 AM
ox
Pro Rider

I have a similar question. I have a 400 Scrambler and it has a DG "silencer" on it. The Lord only knows how they EVER came up with such a name for this thing. I have stock pipe and am considering buying a new stock muffler for it. Or would I get it just as quiet with a re-pack job? I usually ride for the whole day at a time as I don't ride around home. Just when we load up to go riding for a few days. When you ride ALL day things like NOISE tend to get a little more unnerving than a quick trip to the local pit where it sounds "cool". Any recomendations?

Old 06-24-2001 | 11:27 AM
Pro Rider

I think the one HPD sells is pretty good not sure of how loud it is but make good power it makes 4.5 more hp an 6 foot lb of torque.

Old 06-24-2001 | 11:42 AM
ox
Pro Rider

I am going to try this again as my first response didn't seem to take for some reason.

I also have a muffler question. I have a 400 Scarmbler and it has a DG "silencer" on it. The Lord only knows how they ever came up with such a name for IT. I load up and head to a place to ride for DAYS at a time as there really is no place to ride around here. When riding for all day 3+ days at a time that Harly or Arctic cat sound (way too bloody loud for any normall white man (or even me for that matter, LOL!)) has got to go. Should I just buy a stock muffler? Or can I repack this one to be quieter? Will it get as quiet as stock muffler? How long till it "burns out" again?

Anyone want to swap my loud for your quiet?

One real problem is that I have absolutely no idea what a stock 400 should sound like. I don't get out much, but when I do.......I'm GONE!

OH SURE! Now my originall post comes up! Oh well.

Old 06-24-2001 | 12:00 PM
Pro Rider

It would get a little quieter but not alot the stock one are pretty quiet. I have a stock muffler on mine. What year is your scrambler?

Old 06-24-2001 | 01:11 PM
ox
Pro Rider

Mine is a 99 400. If the stocker is "pretty quiet". Then that is probably what I should get. Unless of course I can find someone to swap that wants a louder one. Sure sounds like a good deal to me. UPGRADE to a DG for just a trade of the originall "junk" lOL!

Old 06-24-2001 | 03:36 PM
Pro Rider

I think the only gain besides the noise in the weight differnts

Old 06-25-2001 | 12:15 AM
Pro Rider

u guys talking about the 400's u gotta remember herides a 500, 4-stroke not the 400 2 stroke, big diff in sound to mewith aftermarket pipes.

Quick Reply: flying quad rider = smashed Scrambler muffler