Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

The most Honda-like Polaris yet...Magnum RMK

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2001, 12:02 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, after the first hour went by riding my new RMK, I was not real sure that I had made the right decision in letting go of the old 99 Magnum 500. To put it mildly this thing is <u>STIFF</u>in the suspension department. After 72 miles on the first ride I really wanted off! I had to try out the new visco lock on a hillside and was really disapointed to see the left tire sittin' still until it was to late and then it locked and tried to pull. By that time I had three holes dug in and the bike went nowhere (I <u>will</u> miss the old style AWD system). Don't know what the top speed is yet since it is in the breakin period. That's as much of a Honda though as I feel this machine simulates.

Now the good points:

Guy's if you want to decend excessively steep hills the Visco Lock sytem coupled to the EBS system is just so sweet. No more sliding sideways down the hills. The lower gearing helps a lot too. In fact while decending a lot of the time you can go downhill in high range with great confidence and very very little break work. This system also seems to give greater control and confidence in working real tight trails by not allowing the frt end to wash out in tight turns.

Now I know that everything Polaris builds now has the easy steer system and I am very familiar with my dads 2001 Sportmans H.O. steering and how easy it is, but, I'm telling you this RMK is way too easy to steer! I think it has to do with the Goodyear Rawhide tires but whatever it is I think I may need a steering damper to stiffen it just a little.

The Park lock in the gearcase is a very welcome feature too IF you remember you have it and use it (had to knock myself in the head a zillion times trying to remember to use it instead of locking the breaks).

The breaks themselves just awesome. The larger rear rotor has a lot more bite!

Overall I think this machine is just what I need to use for going out trail busting (building). I usually have a utility trailer on behind loaded to the max with tools and supplies to work on the trails and the old Magnum was a handfull goin down hills. Seems everyone else wants to ride empty and I get to carry it all, so this should work out fine!

I would like a little softer ride. Going to try and talk the wife in to selling her Mag 325 and getting the new Sportsman 700 (I'll still let her call it hers, heh heh heh).

Old 06-26-2001, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider

<< ...To put it mildly this thing is <u>STIFF</u>in the suspension department... >>

The 99's were very good riding Magnums. I have the 2000 and it rides a little stiffer than the one which a friend has.

The front springs are the same on all Magnums. Part #7041375-067

The rear springs have been changed and superceded. The original soft riding 99 springs is no longer available. You may have to settle for the #7041849-067

The rear shocks have also been changed with yours being the stiffest.
3 other ones are available if they have not been superceded.

I know what you mean about stiff rides. I had to change out the rear spring on a 95 Sportsman one time to get the softer and better Xplorer ride. Good luck. A good parts manager with a current catalog should be able to cure the stiff ride for you at a reasonable price. The Polaris springs are not costly at all. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-27-2001, 12:56 AM
Range Rover

Thanks Thor, I will probably follow your advice and check out softer springs in the near future![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] As for now, gonna ride it come hell or high water. Lots of trail work to be done!

Old 06-27-2001, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider

No locked front end, your right the RMK is like a honda, another useless 3x4.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

2000 SCRAMBLER 400 2X4

SCRAMDADDY400

Old 06-28-2001, 12:34 AM
Range Rover

Hi Scramdaddy, I'm not going to say useless just yet. It may have some limitations on the uphill sections particularly if they're steep and loose, however on the steep downhills it really overshadows the others with it's capabilities. Another aspect is riding in mud. I'm pretty sure this machine will suck for mud running. I think the true intended purpose this machine was built for needs to be kept in the forefront and that is heavy-duty utility work. Which is really why I switched over from the 99 Mag. I do wish it rode just a little softer though,(am looking at options) it may work like a Mack truck but it sure doesn't need to ride like one! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]