Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

warn vs. superwinch

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2000, 11:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

checked with a local dealer today about a winch for my scrambler. he tried talking me into spending the extra money on a warn winch because they will last longer after it gets wet or is heavily used. Is he right? Is it worth the extra money? How much should I look to spend, and I might be willing to buy used if in good shape. Also any instalation ideas for a scrambler without racks.

Michael Mohrfeld

Old 01-07-2000, 12:10 AM
Pro Rider

Thats what I am doing. The reason?-

My buddy had a Super Winch 1500 on his 450s. the first time I rode with him he got stuck and first it wouldn't reach a tree with it's short 25ft cable so we had to get on my quad and go get a chain. After we get the chain he tries using the winch and when the slack cam out of the cable it stoped. It couldn't budge him.

He soon took that winch off. So i don't trust Super Winch. I took another guy to the same hole and his warn pulled his heavier Polaris Sportsman 400 out with eas. So it thats why I am saving for a Warn 2500(so I can get the 6 foot remote and the beter solinoid).

Old 01-07-2000, 12:10 AM
Pro Rider

I have owned Warn winches since 1977. Both truck winches and an ATV winch (ATV since 1997) and the products are great and the company is great. I have seen the winches run while submerged (highly don't recommend that) and few failures. Warn is excellent for customer support.
Supewinch, Ramsey, Rule all make very good products. Other on the forum will tell you this, I believe.
Whatever you get, somewhere in the owner's manual it will say "for intermittent use only". If you ever hit a stall point, don't just keep trying to reel in more line. Stop and use a ****** block. If the motor is too hot to touch, it should be allowed to cool. Otherwise, you may permanently damage the motor or you may totally ruin it. One more thing. Don't use your winch line and hook as a tow strap. You may damage the gears, at worst or you may jerk the line down and into a bind where you may not be able to unspool any at all.

[This message has been edited by TxDoc2 (edited 01-06-2000).]

Old 01-07-2000, 12:18 AM
Pro Rider

I have a Warn 2000lb on my bike and I trust it so far. I don't know much about the superwinch and have never heard any horror stories about them either. I recomend the Warn though.

Old 01-08-2000, 05:55 PM
Trailblazer

You may want to give RULE a look if you're not sure either way with Warn vs Superwinch.I have the V33 and am very happy with it.Designed for marine applications and 3300lbs pulling capacity.So far completely bulletproof.Rather pricey vs Superwinch but you can get one for about the same money as a Warn 2500# if I'm not mistaken.

Fishbone. 2000 450ES Red.

Old 01-08-2000, 05:57 PM
Trailblazer

Oops,sorry man.Didn't think about it at the time but its going on a scrambler.More winch than you're looking for I'm sure.

Fishbone.

Old 01-08-2000, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider

I think there is a viable way to mount a Superwinch 1500 onto the front tubes just infront of the radiator grille. I started working on a mounting plate for it, just never finished... Mine is going to replace the front plastic bash plate at the same time.. I wouldn't go with much more than a 1500 because of size/weight.
As for mounting them on the Polaris front rack... I wouldn't... I had the front rack on mine, and its not supported very well... just by bolts in the front. Ther is no support for the rear of the rack and mine was frequently bent.
I have also seen a Superwinch 1500 mounted underneath the seat, just above the rear shock... You couldn't even see it there, and it worked great... as long as you don't mind getting wiched BACKWARDS out of a hole you get stuck in... I thought about doing it, but decided that if I'm gonna have to get winched out, it might as well be on the good side of the hole...
The front plate I am trying to build will also shield the radiator from more mud, Its gonna cause the fan to run more frequently, but I'd rather run the fan more than get the radiator full of mud and overheat..

Old 01-08-2000, 07:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Went back to the dealership last night to pick up a pair of ramps, I asked what kind of deal they would give me if I bought the ramps and a winch at the same time. They nocked $30 off the ramps and $55 of a 2000 pound superwinch. Couldn't let a deal like that pass by. I ended up welding two pieces of one inch square tubing between the frame rails under the seat and bolted it to them. It looks good under there and is out of alot of mud and water. Although I did have to take the tool kit off to make enough room. I went riding today, fortunately I was the only one who didn't get stuck. but I used it four or five times pulling others out, It seemed to work great, I already took advantage of the full 50' of cable. So far I am pleased.

Old 01-08-2000, 08:14 PM
Trailblazer

I have a superwinch, the winch is junk. I had to open the motor and clean the rust from the motor so it would work, then sealed it at both ends with permatex. I mounted it under the rear frame rails on a .25 inch steel plate with a piece of angle iron at each corner to mount it to the rails. It work well, I've pulled a sportsman stuck up to it's racks with no trouble. I say spent the money and get the better winch.

------------------
toyman

'99 Scrambler 500, '00 400EX

Old 01-08-2000, 10:18 PM
Pro Rider

I bought a SuperWinch ATV 2000 a few months ago. i used it a few times and it seemed to work ok but some how the cable got wraped around the outside of the spool and not only chewed the cable up but also jamed the winch...I wasnt happy. I sent it back and am waiting on a replacement to arive. I hope it does better than the first one. next time I'll get a Warn
Andy G

Quick Reply: warn vs. superwinch