Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Any ideas? Clicking when rolling to a stop....

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2001, 07:27 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for some ideas from everyone.

On my 89 Trailboss 2x4, I am hearing a clicking and a definiate catching feeling just as I roll to a stop when driving. This clicking/catching does not occur when moving above 1 or 2 MPH or when I brake hard to stop. The noise/catch seems to be coming from the transmission/frontspocket area, but it is difficult to pinpoint.

I have a put a newer chain and front sprocket on the recently (before the problem began), so the teeth on the sprockets are good.

Any ideas? Is there an adjustment I can make? I am afraid to take this bike out on the trails until I get this corrected. I have tools and the Clymer manual -- and mild mechanical ability -- I put on the new chain and front sprocket.

Thanks!!!!!

Old 07-02-2001, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats an old polaris, the oldest i have ever heard of,
what i think it is,
is the centrifical clutch,
its making the noise as it slows down / belt stops,
it might just be like that because of age, or you might want to open the case up and look

Old 07-03-2001, 08:50 AM
Pro Rider

Check out the buttons on the front clutch. Just pop off the belt cover, and look between the towers and spider and you will see buttons where they slide against each other. See if you can make the spider wiggle agains the tower, if you can, it is new button time (they are like $2 or $3 each). Has this sound just started, or was it doing it for a while? If it started softly, and is gradually getting louder, it is likely the buttons. If it started all at once ???????

Old 07-03-2001, 10:17 AM
Range Rover

I'll take a look at the clutch area. I can actually roll the quad by hand and hear the clicking and feel the resistance to forward movement during the click -- sort of like the chain or sprockets were catching on something during each revolution.

...the problem just started recently, but does seem to be getting gradually worse. The noise is not getting louder, but the catching sensation when rolling to a stop seems to be growing stronger.

Wierd thing is, when driving the quad with the throttle pressed, under any speed higher than 1 or 2 MPH, everything appears fine....

Thanks for the suggestions... anything else?

Old 07-03-2001, 01:22 PM
Pro Rider

Try this:

Remove the chain and inspect it for kinks. Kinks will cause clicking sounds.

Elevate the rear axle and turn it. If it clicks the carrier bearing could be defective.

If the chain does not kink and the rear carrier bearings do not click take a look at the bearing on the output shaft. These bearings have been known to fail.

If these three things check out dive into the clutching system and go from there. Good luck

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-03-2001, 04:18 PM
Range Rover

I had this problem just recently that ended up costing me a chain,gearcase,output shaft and a hole lot of time and money.I was doing about 3mph when the chain snapped off and went right through my gearcase and sheared the output drive right off.Inspect your chain thoroughly a lessen I learned the hard way.

Old 07-03-2001, 04:26 PM
Range Rover

What exactly turned out to be your problem?

Old 07-04-2001, 03:10 AM
Range Rover

If I were you I'd be checking your chain tightness (might be two tight). If thats set to what polaris says should be in slack thats ok. Then did you make sure your sprockets were lined up? That could be your problem. Remember thats your driveline and needs to be set right. But after 1 ride all the nuts and bolts should be checked for tightness make sure you clean and lube your chain etc...

You also say that you put a newer chain on. When you replace the chain you should replace both sets of sprockets. O ring chains and lube them with chainlube bought in most hardware stores. This will save you more money and time by replacing them all. If you don't the older parts wear the newer ones out quicker. If the Rear sprockets are bad you will be able to stand behind your bike and pull the chain more than an 8th of an inch away from the center rear of the sprocket.

Could also be rear axle carrier bearing or swing arm bearing. Stand on the bike on flat ground and shift your weight back and fourth while holding on to the handle bars. If you hear a click or clunk and feel something in rear shifting at the same time. It could be either. If it feels like its right under your feet more on the floorboards probably yourfront swingarm bearings. If it feels like its more behind your feet probably the rear. Maybe even both.

Just keep looking at it and you'll figure it out. You'll know best since it's yours and you get to feel it and hear it. The clymer manuals are great help to which I see you bought. I don't think it sounds like a tranny problem but never know. Have Fun thats all that counts.

Old 07-05-2001, 12:20 AM
Trailblazer

yeah, it could be the chain tightness... my boss chunks at low speeds when the chain is too loose..

Old 07-06-2001, 04:54 PM
Range Rover

I cant say for sure what it was but,I think the chain was sticking and also could have been damaged from a roll over I had a few months earlier.

Quick Reply: Any ideas? Clicking when rolling to a stop....