Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

400L Sport motor on a Honda frame??? Stage one of Polaris Project Race Quad!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2001, 03:46 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've decided that I'm tired of getting my a$$ handed to me on a plater. I've got a 98 400 Sport, and it is just to darn heavy to race. I have to run the 2 stroke open class. I'm the only Polaris that runs on the track at all, and one of only six that run in that division. And the only time I don't come in last is when someone has a DNF. I'm not far behind, but it's still last. I ran my friends 300ex in the 101-350 division after he hurt himself, and placed 5th out of 12. Not bad since I've only ridden his quad a couple of times. But I love the size and feel of the quad, and the ability to jump. If I jumped the same distance on my quad, I would have to hit it very fast, which I've done many of times, but it lands so hard that the crowd goes ooohhhhh. I've heard the video tapes we've got. I also rode a complete race modded Banshee two days ago. The same one that's been winning the races as a matter of fact. I rode it around, took a couple of turns and jumps, and thought dang, no wonder I'm losing to these, they handle like a like a dream compared to my Sport. Then he told me I didn't even hit the power band. I didn't want to rough it to hard since it wasn't mine. I set out again, and opened it up completly,, WOW. I would buy one in a heart beat if I had the $$$. So I'm on a mission to catch up to the Banshee's and tricked 250r's. No I may not win, but at least I will be in the pack. I've got a friend that's parting out a 250x. And I'm thinking about buying it, and put my 400 motor on it. I know I'm going to have to do some cutting and welding, but that's not a prob for me. I was just wondering if anyone has done the same thing on any frame type, and what was the main problem's they ran into before I bought the 250x. This is going to be a complete racing quad. I love my 400 motor, and don't want to part with it. It just that the frame is way to heavy for racing, and my friends that race too agree. I've got a Yamaha that will handle the muddy stuff. Thats why I'm ready to start building.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I know that is may need to be in the Project Quad forum, but since it's a Polaris motor, I felt I would get a better response.

Old 07-08-2001, 10:33 AM
Pro Rider

The HPD race frame is what you are building. They make there own frames but are based on the R frames. HPD has a trans mae just for there race quad. Good luck on your building of the quad.

Old 07-08-2001, 02:11 PM
Range Rover

Hey x_scram3.. Are you using this type of frame or something. It says you lightened it to 255lbs in your sig. Looks like it's working for you. I went to HPD website and didn't see it. I was hoping to see a pic of it.

Old 07-08-2001, 07:01 PM
Pro Rider

Im using the pre-concentric drive frame. Mine is a 95 TB the frame is light before the concentric drives frames. An the trans are lighter too. If I had a 400L motor I could put it in an only gain around 20lbs from it for the radiator an motor weight. I have put my 98 scrambler 400 4X4 motor in it once for 2 races. It was fast. You will not find any info on there race quad at there site. There is a web site on here that has pic's of the HPD race quad it is fatalberts web site I belive they have some close up of it. I have a friend that owns one who will be racing where I do he race this friday night in pro class agienst a Honda R that is built an was right on his heals waiting for the guy to make a misstake but he broke the front spendal on it. There a three honda parts on it an it was the spendals are honda. I have one pic of one in a race If you want me to send it to you.

Old 07-08-2001, 07:16 PM
Range Rover

Yes X please send it to me at Blazeboy419@yahoo.co.uk Thanks a bunch[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-08-2001, 07:37 PM
Pro Rider

I found the web site witht the pic's of it they have around 12 pics of thereText I just looked at them. www.fatalberts.com

Old 07-09-2001, 02:59 AM
Range Rover

how much do the frames go for is that includind shocks handle bars and breaks or just the frame

Old 07-09-2001, 03:28 PM
Pro Rider

hell yes thats what we need polaris that arent tanks, why donest polaris take a hint for their sport quads????????????

Old 07-09-2001, 09:16 PM
Pro Rider

you would have to talk to them I know they are not cheap. Last time I heard a full race quad complete is $15000 so im thinking a frame with shocks an stuff is high.

Old 07-10-2001, 11:48 AM
Pro Rider

400fnsport,
What are you going to do with your frame and parts?

Quick Reply: 400L Sport motor on a Honda frame??? Stage one of Polaris Project Race Quad!!!