Help...will NOT START!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2000, 10:58 PM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1993 Trail Boss 250

Good Spark
Good Compression

The machine acts like it is not getting fuel. Fuel line has been taken off and fuel filter is not clogged.

Stuck Float in carb??

Suggestions please.

Old 01-19-2000, 11:00 PM

One more thing.

It ran perfect one week ago when I rode it for 30 minutes.

Old 01-19-2000, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider

Weedy,
Its a 2-stroke, so you don't need to run it long like this, but try a can of starting fluid.. Or some fresh gasoline in a Fantastik bottle, spray it into the carburetor while you're cranking over on it and see if it starts. If so, you are on the right track, its a fuel delivery problem. A simple teardown, clean, and maybe a new needle and seat and you will be on your way..
Try that and see what happens....
Good Luck...
OH, Make SURE you throw the bottla away after use, you'd hate for your wife/girlfriend to take it back inside the house and spray down the cabinets with 93 octane....

Old 01-19-2000, 11:40 PM
Trailblazer

Did you replace the plug? It could be firing outside the cylinder and not fire under compression. Also if you want to use something like starting fluid dont it will strip the oil coating off of the engine parts . Use WD40 it will not be as hard on your engine. If it ever backfired it could of sheared the flywheel key causing it to be out of time but that is not likely. Godd luck, David

Old 01-20-2000, 12:00 AM

I will try these options tomarrow afternoon. I think it is a fuel delivery problem so I will give it a try tomarrow. Have you ever had a tank fuel shutoff valve go bad? My fuel shutoff valve will NOT shutoff the fuel. I found this out after removing the fuel line to check the in-line fuel filter.

Thanks for the advice...I will be online tomarrow.

Old 01-20-2000, 03:53 AM
Pro Rider

leave that starting fluid alone thats trouble,pull plug get small amount fuel in cylinder replace plug try starting again if it fires "walla" you have fuel problem.Had friend who used "either"(starting fluid) in diesel ruined the engine it was a mess.

------------------
THE FORMER CORNCOB2

Old 01-20-2000, 02:42 PM
Range Rover

Fuel shut off go bad? Why yes indeed. I have a 1991 Trailboss 250 2X4. The fuel shut off never worked when I got it. It didn't matter to me so I left it. Last summer I had the tank off to repair the steering column and decided to get that shut off fixed. The long plastic extender had broke in two. It connects the handle you manually turn to the actual shut off farther in on the tank. I popped the new part in and proceeded to put the tank back in place. It was a little tight fitting and as a result I again snapped the plastic extender! ^@#*&!!! Now I knew how it had happened to the previous owner. The part is cheap and I will fix it this comming summer.

What exactly is your compression reading? And at what elevation above sea level?

Keith

Old 01-20-2000, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider

Try checking the spark plug. My brother had a problem with his 400 not starting and it turned out to be a fouled plug.

------------------
JIM 99TB with Hotseat/HPD mods.

Old 01-21-2000, 12:09 AM
Pro Rider

OK my dads sportsman wouldnt start other day so we replaced plug and the plug did look fouled....still wouldnt start....checked to see if it was gettin any spark but nada......The coil is being repaired as we speak for $250.....u mite wanna check urs out

Old 01-21-2000, 10:45 AM
Pro Rider

Chicken,
Congrads on the new Yeller Dog...
Yes, starting fluid WILL destroy a diesel engine (so will WD-40 on some diesel engines), and a 2-stroke doesn't need to be ran on gas or starting fluid for over a second or two... but, it can be used to "test" the carb theory..
By misting it thru the carb while the electric start is being used, there is a steady movement of air being pulled thru to help draw the fuel thru. Some gas on a sparkplug will work, I've done that to wet plugs and lawn mower engine plugs... The only problem with that is that there is only going to be enough fuel on the plug to light off for one fire stroke, you might not even audibly hear that one cycle. With a somewhat steady flow of fuel, you will get many cycles of ignition that can be easily heard.
Just two different ways of getting to the same answer...

Quick Reply: Help...will NOT START!