Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Does fast idle wear your belt?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2000 | 05:18 PM
Range Rover

Mud,
Sounds as if the Polaris charging system might actually be a generator and not an alternator. If this is true the higher the RPM the more current would be generated. The older vehicles like your truck had Generators in them, the higher the RPM the more current is generated. Generators generate straight DC current. Alternators on the other hand do not rely on the speed that they are run at, they are either "off" or "on" and like was mentioned just supply power to the battery to keep it in a full charged state. Alternators generate AC power which is then fed through a "diode bridge" which acts as a sort of "funneling effect" to bring the alternating current in line to a non-alternating current DC. When jump starting a vehicle from a newer one it is not necessary to rev the engine as it does absolutely no good. As far as I know most smaller engines use a "magneto" type charging system which is essentially a DC Generator.
Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-21-2000 | 05:22 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks mud, that’s what I thought. Which is why I have been, and will continue the habit of slipping it into neutral at an idle. I prefer to start them in neutral too for the same reason. I guess I’d rather be overcautious than under.

Evenson, if you don’t mind parting with about $30 you should get one of the new battery charger/maintainers and plug that into your 425. You can leave it plugged into the machine the entire time you’re not riding it and it will keep the battery charged and well maintained without overcharging. Letting it “fast” idle for a little bit every few days probably isn’t doing that much for your battery and if you live where it’s cold running it for a short period is liable to be adding condensation to your oil.

------------------
FloodRunner, on the Wisconsin River

Old 01-21-2000 | 08:16 PM
Pro Rider

Mayhem,
No.. no generator on my truck.... it was an externally regulated alternator... they were not very efficient and had very little output at idle and low engine speeds...
I converted to the internal style and upped it from the factory 65 amps to 120 amps....
But, it was never a generator...

Old 01-21-2000 | 08:47 PM
Range Rover

Mud,
Sorry about that, I was just guessing on the age of your truck since you didn't specify, it must not be old enough. The vehicles with generators in them were pretty old, not sure but I would guess around the 1950's.

Old 01-21-2000 | 09:16 PM
|
Pro Rider

By "plug in" do you mean the assessory
outlet. That would be very easy.
I had a connection on my jetboat with
two batteries to keep them "topped off"
The real message is keep riding!!
I am finding that my windproof golf stuff
works pretty weel as an outside layer for
short cold trips.

Old 01-22-2000 | 11:36 AM
Pro Rider

The Charger/Maintainer I bought came with a separate 2-prong plug just like the one on the rear of your 425. Attach this plug directly to the battery terminals and plug the corresponding plug on the charger into it. You could proably use the stock plug on the rear, but since this is switched power you’d have to have the ignition on for it to charge, which doesn’t strike me as a good idea at all.

------------------
FloodRunner, on the Wisconsin River

Old 01-23-2000 | 08:15 PM
Pro Rider

If your SP500 moved and it crept because of the clutch you could have a clearance problem since the sheaves are gripping the belt. Your dealer can easily correct that situation. There should be adequate clearance "both" sides of the belt when it is down in the sheaves.

<A HREF="http://www.GoDigital-Design.com/schultzmotorsports">Schultz Motorsports</A>

Old 01-25-2000 | 05:21 PM
Pro Rider

SWAC, quad, coffee, tree, HA HAHAHAHAHAHHALOLOLOLOLOLOLO. That's hilarious!!!HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.