Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris Diesel & Mud

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2001, 01:25 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PLEASE DON'T REPLY UNLESS YA KNOW YOUR STUFF ON THIS ONE!!!

I don't mean to bring up an old topic, from what I know and hear, the Diesel sucks. I for one love diesels. I'm just wondering if a person put a huge lift and huge tires on this thing, and tricked it out, would it turn some heads while in the mud. Who knows, maybe the thing could out perform the HO in the mud with its low end torque? It seems like everyone and there uncle has the new sportsmans and I just thought that it would be neat to get a diesel because they are cheap, different, diesel, economical, and torquey. I know that it is slow, but with big tires it should scoot at around 40mph, right? How many people go faster than that on the trails?
Does anyone know if they have any problems in mud/water maybe with injectors or whatever?
Let me know what ya think....thanks

Old 07-17-2001, 01:35 AM
Pro Rider

I know of no problems of that nature.

I know you do not want to hear it and I agree I like your idea, but you should know we had several deisels at our shop. We had a pull off and a non-HO pulled it around like it wasn't there. Torque didn't matter in that situation because the diesel didn't weigh enough to make use of it. However that would change with lets say 29" Vamps burried in the mud. The diesel just might shine in that situation. Good luck on your mission if you should choose to accept it, lol. Keep us updated.

Old 07-17-2001, 01:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

uflg 95,
Quick question, Do you know of a way to increase the speed of the thing besides bigger tires such as a different clutch or tinkering with the govenor?

Thanks for your input, I'm just checking to see if this could possibly be a good project!!!

Old 07-17-2001, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider

Good question. I honestly have no idea. Best bet engine performance wise, I would see what guys do to none turbo diesel motors in autos. They are not exactly identical obviously but they are similar by nature. And everything you copy make sure you do in porportion. As far as clutch wise that will be a totally different animal to me for the simple fact you are playing with quite a bit lower rpms. I know this isn't much help but I do not want to send you in the wrong direction.

Old 07-17-2001, 02:49 PM
Pro Rider

Boats are going more and more to diesel motors for several reasons. One of which is a diesel will run while completely submerged under water. All they need is enough snorkel to get fresh air into the engine & the exhaust out. No spark to ground out.
As far as performance???
Torque, yes, but not much for power at RPMs.