Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Works struts/PEP rear shock, GREAT combo!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2001 | 07:21 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Lance,
What happened to you yesterday?? I felt bad when I saw you pulled over. I don't know how well the PEP rebuild is but I am sure it's good but for less money you could send it to Re-Aktive. They are here in PA and have done my rear shock and Neil's. The price was around $100+shipping. Let me know if you want the phone # I have it some where. Later Mike

Old 07-23-2001 | 07:39 PM
Range Rover

Mike XCR;
Cheaper isn't always better. PEP supplies an aftermarket rear spring with their shock rebuild. This will suit your riding style and weight much better than the universal Polaris rear spring. Good Luck!

Old 07-23-2001 | 08:12 PM
Trailblazer

Fasterthangas,
Thanks for your concern I too believe the old saying "you get what you pay for". I just know that Lance has dumped allot of $$ into his quad this race season. I did ask my shock builder if I should go with a different spring and he said "let me see what I can do first". He changed the high speed dampening and made the shock rebound faster and he did a few other things. I am happy with the results and if I wasn't he would change the shock until I was happy for free.
Hey Lance if you want you can ride my quad any time and judge for your self. If you have money to burn the "Works Ultracross" is the $hit.

Old 07-24-2001 | 01:12 AM
Range Rover

Mike,

I had clutch problems. I was right behind you for the first 5 minutes or so. THen the clutch started clunking. I brought it home and tore it apart last night. The clutch buttons on the driven clutch disintegrated. The parts cost $5 to fix and it's back together and ready to go. We'll have to talk more about the rear shock setup. I'm looking for something similar to ZPS. Plus, I gotta figure out how to make the steering feel looser. I know the bike is pushing 600lbs, but there should be a way to make it steer easier!!!!!!

Old 07-24-2001 | 03:37 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Jim,
I have a few weekends with the dual rate springs. I have a 99 sport, with Fox all around. My rear is the large diameter w/o external resevoir, so I have the stock spring on that. The fronts have been through all the adj settings. I have found the softest to work the best for me. Really seems to eat up the "geographic irregularities", er, I mean bumps. I would appreciate if you could post PEP's contact info, or try to e-mail it to me ( emphasis is on try, been having probs lately) Sure would like to hear from someone who has compared the Fox front struts with Works. Thanks.

KT

Old 07-24-2001 | 07:40 AM
Range Rover

modquad,

I've owned both and I can say that the Fox struts work best with lighter springs. There is a lot of compression dampening in them, but it is uniform in it's dampening. I now have my old Fox struts on my girlfriend's Trailblazer and the lighter spring rates really make the struts work well. I hated them on my Sport, they were way too harsh.

The Works struts are more progressive in their dampening. The more travel you use, the stiffer the dampening gets. They are also supposedly speed sensetive too, although I really don't know that much about them to make that judgement.

With the Hot Seat springs, you should have a really good ride. Basically you are letting the springs control the compression dampening for the final few inches of travel, much the same way that Polaris does it on the stock strut machines, but the stock struts have NO compression dampening throughout their range. With the Fox struts and Hot Seat springs, you get the advantage of using a heavier compression dampening rate of the strut for the first part of the travel and the heavier spring for the last few inches to prevent bottoming. Thus you get a sort of progressive dampening by using both the springs and the strut. The Works struts will accomplish this same thing while using a single rate spring, due to it's progressive dampening.

I'm curious to see how well the Works struts work with the Hot Seat springs. I ordered a set last week and they should be here today. I'll install them later in the week and give them a thorough testing this coming weekend. I'll let you know the results here.

Old 07-24-2001 | 08:57 PM
Trailblazer

Lance,
I thought that was you in my rear view. At least it was a minor problem. I wish mine was minor but thats another story. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] I have been told that our stock shocks can't be made into something like the ZPS shocks. HPD also rebuilds shocks so you could go that route also. I assume that you have the adjustable steering stablizer. What position were you using?? You may have a bent Tie-rod or A-arm that is throwing your alignment off.

Old 07-24-2001 | 10:00 PM
Pro Rider

cold i use the works struts on my sp500? would work better with my 27'vamps and whats there web site?? thanks

Old 07-25-2001 | 07:33 AM
Range Rover

Mike XCR,

You can, in theory, turn the struts into a ZPS type system. I'll take a lot of trial and error and plenty of $$$, but you could do it. The struts will have to be revalved, and a correct spring rates resolved, but it can be done. Like I said before it'll take time, effort and money to get the struts to work that way. The reason behind this is because no one has done it before (not too many Polaris MX machines out there). The first ZPS systems must have cost a mint to build, but now you just have to have the money to replace the shocks.

I just got the Hot Seat springs in the mail yesterday, they are softer than the original springs. I can't wait until a cool day to put them on.

King 4x4,

Yes you can use the short travel struts for your 1996 Sportsman 500. The web site is:

Works Performance

Just click the link.

Old 07-25-2001 | 06:57 PM
Trailblazer

Mike,

You are right anything can be done if you have enough cash. I hope the dual rate springs work well for you. I have been thinking of trying them myself for some time. I just haven't had the time or $ to do enough R&D. I have two sets of Works struts; one stock set and one with differend valveing.
I know two people that were able to get their hands on the new HPD suspension before it became extinct again. This suspension runs allot of sag front and rear lowering the machine allot and it works great. Hopefully HPD will be able to get more parts from Fox and produce it again. Good Luck

Quick Reply: Works struts/PEP rear shock, GREAT combo!!!