Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Break in proceedures - new machine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2001, 12:07 AM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a new Sportsman Thursday and was wondering the best breakin guidelines. I have owned two strokes for the last 8 years.

Old 07-18-2001, 01:16 AM
Pro Rider

Just about the same. Nothing over 1/2 throttle and vary the throttle for the first tank full.

Old 07-18-2001, 01:32 AM
Pro Rider

I'm glad that you posted this weedy, alot of people don't break in their quads right and then wonder why it doesn't run right after they've had it a few months! I'm also glad to see this posted because i don't know much about breaking in new quads 2 stroke or 4 stroke and was gonna post this pretty soon if nobody else did! When my friend bought his Xpedition 425 the dealership told him to run 5 tanks of gas through before he did any hot-rodding or be too rough on the engine, and when he first got it in about Jan. i guess it was he told me this 4 or 5 times and i knew that you had to drive them easy when breaking them in and he kept telling me this, and in about 2 weeks or so he still hadn't ran 5 tanks of gas through and he was revving the engine out high in 3rd and 4th gear and then that same week or so he also took it out in the freaking snow! And i don't know if this is from that or not but if you let off the throttle real fast when goin down a hill to coast it starts to spit backfire! And he was telling me to be easy on it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img], i oughta kicked his *** for that, stupid kid LOL, but what ya gonna do?

Anyway glad to see you posted this cuz i was wondering my self about both 2 and 4 strokes!

Old 07-18-2001, 10:46 PM
Pro Rider

Its seems to me that 5 tanks of gas is a bit much for break-in time. for a two stroke I would take it easy for the first 15 minutes to an hour depending on how patient you are then let her go. On a 4-stroke I would wait till the first oil change for any hard core stuff but babying it is also not the answer. The rings are what need to be broke in and putting a load on the engine is what will do that best. In 15 minutes that piston has gone up and down in that cylinder quite a few times [anybody got a calculater] so it should be well on its way to being broke in. The synthetic oil being used now also will slow break in somewhat but its not
a problem that I have heard of.

Old 07-19-2001, 11:39 PM
Pro Rider

bmxatv10~

Sound like your running alittle lean if your backfiring on throttle down. If it's just going down hill w/o the throttle on any. Than your quad is fine, maybe a little lean on your pilot jet or air screw but nothing to worry about.

Old 07-20-2001, 01:40 AM
Pro Rider

NewDSLover, its my friends quad its not bad it just sputters alittle when letting off while goin down a hill at a pretty good pace, but thanks for suggestions!!!!