Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2 stroke vs. 4 stroke

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2000, 07:48 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you guys think about a 2stroke instead of a 4 stroke? I have a 2000 trailboss right now but i am not that impressed with it. I have herd that you will have to put new rings on a two stroke in like 3 years after you get them. Do you think they will last as long as a 4 stroke? Thanks

Old 01-28-2000, 08:25 PM
Pro Rider

With proper care the injected 2-strokes will last really well. I have a 94 model 300 that has over 5300miles on it and still has very good compression. You will likely need a top end at some point ,but that is a relativly easy and not to expensive job when and if it comes. Where with a 4-stroke normally when rebuild time comes it cost about 2/3s more and normally has to be done from the bottom up. Traditionally and under similar conditons a 4-stroke does have a better top end life span than a 2 stroke.

------------------
Kevin Gowdy aka Kagey 1999 Polaris Magnum 500

Old 01-28-2000, 08:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just traded my 99' sport,for a 4 stroke.The 2 stroke won't run when the temperature gets below 20 degrees.Can you say fouled plugs.I have walked way to many times because of not running it hard enough.My new magnum 500 so far runs perfectly,and the last 2 mornings it's been below zero.I can go as slow as I want.Big plus,when its cold.Stick with four stroke.

Old 01-28-2000, 10:11 PM
Pro Rider

My Trailblazer is 3 years old. No compression lose yet.

I am going to get it ported and new pistols next winter.

As for 2 strokes no starting. It was 0 this morning and before i left for school i fired my Trailblazer up on the 2nd pull! It was in the garage, no heat in the garage. It was probably 10 in there.

------------------
Aaron

1997 TrailBlazer: RCR Lowend kit, Red Plastic, ITP Aluminum Wheels, and Holeshots all around

Old 01-28-2000, 10:18 PM
Pro Rider

ALL snowmobiles are 2 bangers,no problem with starting.

------------------
THE FORMER CORNCOB2

Old 01-28-2000, 10:30 PM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

It is all personal preference. I chose a two stroke and like it much better because of the explosive power. I have a 1993 two stroke and have only bought one spark plug since it was new. I do nothing out of the ordinary for maintenance. I keep a clean air filter and run Polaris oil with Super Unleaded gas. If I had the $$$$$$$ I would buy a new Explorer 4X4 (250 cc two stroke).
Ask around to friends who have owned both. I have owned both and perfer the two stroke. There are advantages to both types of engines. The four stroke are tourqier but the two stroke feel much faster. The determination to where a quad will last is with the owner taking care of the machine....2 or 4 stroke.

Old 01-28-2000, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider

the EPA is writing new guidelines regarding 2-stroke engine. They have jumped on them in California. Maybe some riders of ATVs, dirt bikes and PWCs will post something regarding this subject. They are apparently trying to inch their way toward banning the engines due to pollution concerns. The ATV magazines have run small "news briefs/updates" on this periodically.

Old 01-28-2000, 10:38 PM
Trailblazer

Cowman,

Could the fouled plugs be a jetting thing?

I am by no means any expert, buy aren't snowmobiles 2-stroke? What could be the difference?

The main reason I am responding is that I am seriously considering buying a Scrambler 400 4x4 (well, as soon as I can convince the wife). I plan on riding in cold weather and snow, and would appreciate more input.

Thanks,

PowerHungry
CR250 - until I sell it for a quad

Old 01-28-2000, 11:53 PM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

Powerhungry

I see you have a CR 250. You DEFINATELY should buy a two stroke if you are used to a CR. I had a modified CR 125 before my two stroke quad. Plugs are cheap and well worth it to get the performance.

Old 01-28-2000, 11:58 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK here is my take on the positives and negatives of both types of engines.

4 Stroke:
+'s quieter,cleaner,longerlasting
-'s more maintence as far as oil changes and valve adjustments and heavier.

2 Stroke:
+'s lightweight,low maintence,great power,easier to pull start,fewer moving parts.
-'s louder,not as clean burning,need more jetting adjustments for temp changes and plugs foul faster.

Right now I am kind of thinking of getting a Scrambler 400 or 500 and i'm still deciding which to buy???

Quick Reply: 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke