Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Lost Key

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2000, 07:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone ever tried to get a Key through their dealer by their Quads serial #? I have the number off of my key as it was written on the paperwork when I bought mine . I successfully lost both of my keys, the last one today after I came in from hauling up a load of wood. Sometimes I amaze myself how I can lose things. I parked it under the shed took the key out came to the house and no key, hunted for it 45 minutes. Guess I'll try to get one tommorow. Can the dealers get them for us? ,I hope so.

------------------
Kevin Gowdy aka Kagey 1999 Polaris Magnum 500

Old 01-30-2000, 08:42 PM
Pro Rider

I lost the key to my honda XL 600 and I brought the ignition to a key smith and he made a key from it somehow.

Old 01-30-2000, 09:31 PM
Range Rover

I had three extra keys made when I bought my quad, just because I knew I would lose a couple. All my dealer needed was the key #. They charged me 5 bucks each.

Old 01-30-2000, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider

Kagey- My uncle managed to lose both of his keys too. Both of them in the same day. He tried to use the serial number just as you are trying to do but it didn't work for him. Maybe you will have better luck, but we took the ignition out and took it to I guess you would call it a key making place and they took it for about 30 minutes and had a key made. 2 to be exact. I'd try the serial number first because I figure you do enough ignition crap to last you a life time. Maybe CHICKENman stole them from you. It's just like him to do a cruel thing like that.

------------------

Old 01-31-2000, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider

Don't worry if I had of been the culpert,it would have been well deserved.After a quad with no brakes and taking me to the bombing range.Then worse of all that terible experience in the MAX,no one knows what it was like.What more can I say.LOL

------------------
THE FORMER CORNCOB2

[This message has been edited by CHICKENman (edited 01-30-2000).]

Old 01-31-2000, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider

Poor Poor mistreated CHICKENman! I feel for you man. Seriously, I feel for you having to ride that bike that had no brakes and then a Max. Kagey what were you thinking. He was supposed to be a guest. I think that would drive me to stealing your keys too. Kagey you make a bad host! He He He.

------------------

Old 01-31-2000, 07:37 AM
Pro Rider

Sorry to hear that Kagey. This isn’t going to help “after the fact” but we only have the original two keys for each machine. A “spare” is taped to the undersides of our seats with black electrical tape and the other almost never leaves the ignition. It may sound a little strange to leave the key there but when our machines are not in use they’re locked in the enclosed trailer I use to haul them around, sort of a portable garage.

The other thing we do differently than just about anyone else we’ve seen is we use the sliding kill/start switch to shut them off, not the key. Unless we pull the key for a security reason it’s always in the ignition and stays in the “on” position. The kill switch does the same thing the ignition switch does and it’s right there at your left thumb so why bother with the key? That’s our philosophy anyway.

Of course pulling the key gives you added security from theft or curious kids so I’m not suggesting this method if either one of those is a concern.

I had Ford make me a new key from a number once and it worked. You’d think Polaris would be able to but I guess you’ll find out.

FloodRunner, on the Wisconsin River (Come enjoy our Trail Pix!)

Old 01-31-2000, 07:54 AM
Pro Rider

I managed to lose a key right on the trail....Don't ask me how....I stopped for something. went to start up..and no key.

Anyway...I tried the dealer....It was not cheap...they wanted like...$60 for a replacement....
I ended up just unplugging the ignition and bringing it to a locksmith....It only cost $30 for 2 keys.

good luck

Old 01-31-2000, 10:59 AM
Range Rover

My dealer has about 20 keys, a whole bunch of different numbered ones hanging by the parts counter. I looks like it would be easy to get one.

------------------
Steve Thompson 99 Scrambler 500

<a href="http://briefcase.yahoo.com/myscrambler">My Scrambler</a>

Old 01-31-2000, 01:38 PM
Pro Rider

Happy Ending; I went to the dealer gave him the number and in minutes he handed me 2 Keys and the little Rubber Whosafudge???? that the key fits in. Cost $0.00. Chickenman how could you, after all I did for you. That Quad had brakes you just had to really hunt for them and contrary to what he might make you think on here Chickenman REALLY did enjoy that Max ride. look at the pictures that smile is Genuine. He can't deny it deep down he really wants one if he can only find someone to drive him around in it.LoL Lol. Oh yea Chickenman I ordered those Aviator Goggles this morning wait till I get those. I will be nothing but bad ,got to find me one of those leather helmets now.

------------------
Kevin Gowdy aka Kagey 1999 Polaris Magnum 500

Quick Reply: Lost Key