Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 700 in-line twin!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2001, 02:46 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

20% increase of the 38.4 hp on the ho is...not exactly sure, somewhere around 44-45 horsepower, leaving it short of the new grizz...
The weight of Polaris only really factors in to those that don't ride them. A Sportsman feels like a 400lb quad underneath you, and I would expect the 700 to be the same. If you don't regularly ride Polaris, then do us a favor and quit complaining about the weight, because those of us that drive HO know that the weight is not that big of factor

Old 08-04-2001, 02:49 AM
Pro Rider

<< I dont know about that weight thing but it is a fact that the Sportsman 700 IS faster both on speed and take-off, has more torque, Rides WAY nicer, and handles easier than any other machine like the grizzly, etc... These are real fact, I am not lying here, just ask anyone who works at Polaris. >>

HOW CAN YOU SAY THIS? THE BIKE ISN'T EVEN OUT YET, NO ONE HAS EVEN SEEN IT, LET ALONE RODE IT, HOW CAN YOU SAY IT'S A FACT?
I LIKE POLARIS BUT IF THIS NEW SPORTSMAN IS 740LBS THEN IN MY OPINION IT WILL AT BEST KEEP UP WITH THE NEW KAWA AND GRIZZ.
I LIKE THE SPORTSMAN HO BUT I CAN'T IMAGINE HAVING A BIKE THAT HEAVY LET ALONE A HEAVIER ONE.
I HOPE POLARIS GETS THERE NEW BIKE ON THE MARKET BECAUSE I LOVE THE COMPETITION, BUT YOU CAN'T SAY THIS IS A FACT!

Old 08-04-2001, 09:01 AM
Pro Rider

Im wondering if the Polaris reps are being told info that ins't true so that the &quot;facts&quot; will be a big surprise?? I just cant imagine engineers making a new Gen5 frame and making it Heavier. Why dont they just fill the tires up with lead!!!!

i think we should wait untill the &quot;official&quot; release to get the facts.

later
jon

Old 08-04-2001, 10:12 AM
Pro Rider

Everyone seems concerned about the weight of a quad that’s not even out yet. Check out the weight of the SP DUSE and RSE both are listed as 750 pounds. This data is listed on the Polaris Web site. Add a winch, larger tires and fluids and you could add another 100 pounds easily. Polaris aren’t Harley’s but they sure are HOGS.

Old 08-04-2001, 10:16 AM
WJW
Trailblazer

Polaris has a 2002 atv dealer meeting Aug 29 &amp; 30th
in Cadillac Mi., Maybe this will answer some of our
questions and give, The rest of the story.
We can only hope.

Old 08-04-2001, 03:25 PM
Pro Rider

thanks WJW

WHY would polaris have the meeting in Cadillac?? thats a small town up-north. I dont even know if they have a ariport there for the dealers to fly in. Its not near any large city either.

WJW is the owner of your dealership going???

later
jon

Old 08-04-2001, 11:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Extrememudman,
I took a LITTLE offense to your top post.Dont tell ME that a Polaris weight only factors in to those that dont ride them.Dont tell ME that a Sportsman only feels like 400lbs under you.You see,I sold my 99 500cc Sportsman because of its weight.Not a Sportsman made that only feels like 400lbs under you!Now,granted,nothing beats the cushy ride of the Sportsman,but feeling like 400lbs under you?Come on!

The weight for YOU on the Sportsman may be of little concern,however,if you have ever tried to navigate a Sportsman over TIGHT,SLOPED,OFF CAMBER,and Slow TECHNICLE terrains,you'd also agree.

The last straw for me was when I navigated up this extremly NARROW,steep hill and when I reached the top I went over it.Only to find out that it lead to a dead end.With NO WHERE or NO ROOM to turn this pig around,I had to back up.The two trees that I went in between on my way down this hill,were a REAL hassle trying to go back up in reverse.The tail end of the Sportsman just would not go where I pointed the steering at[kept sliding].I had to set the parking brake,get off,and lift this lard A$$ rear end up in between the two trees[on a hill] before I could navigate in reverse back up this hill.Im a pretty big boy myself and in good shape,the weight of this thing gave me all I could handle.

I hope this thing is NOT 740lbs,or I will be buying the 600lb Yamaha Grizz with the 660 engine in it.

Bill

Old 08-05-2001, 01:35 AM
Trailblazer

I hope they left room on the bumper for a warn 8000# winch sounds if I might need it.

Old 08-05-2001, 02:42 AM
Pro Rider

I find it very amusing that everyone is arguing rumors as if they were facts! The fact is, that its only a rumor. Untill someone actually rides the darn thing, I don't believe a single thing I hear about it. I first joined this forum a little over a year ago. I was hearing this crap about a 700 Polaris back then even! Today, I'm still hearing the same wishful thinking, and empty speculation. I also find it funny that I started hearing &quot;rumors&quot; about the 650 Prarie, and by god two months later there were people actually riding the thing. Same with the new Griz. Oh, and the Detroit locker also. All rumors, that became fact in a relatively short amount of time.

Its my personal belief that while Polaris has been very innovative with its introduction of new equipment, and found great performance from this new equipment. They have fallen so far behind everyone else in the quality control department, that it has given a bad name to many of the features that they invented, yet others are copying with good results in the dependability arena! Being Americans, I think we all kind of fall into the &quot;bigger is better&quot; idea, at times. The Polaris 700 is, I believe, a way for the disgruntled, but die hard Polaris riders, a way of saying &quot;I'll show you!&quot;. If Polaris is truely going to make a 700cc utility quad, and still make it as over weight and undependable as some of their other models, its a waste of R&amp;D!

Rick

Old 08-05-2001, 02:50 AM
Trailblazer

Rick,
I'm not going to bring Polaris's reputation in on this post be it good or bad, I just don't know enough about them. However, this bike is made and awaiting it's release in August or September, that's a promise!

Tony

Quick Reply: Sportsman 700 in-line twin!