Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler 400 2*4. Good ATV or not?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2001, 04:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm interested in a scrambler 400. I hear alot of problems with them. Can anybody re-inform me on this ATV?

Old 08-10-2001, 04:53 PM
Pro Rider

I have a 2000 400 2x4 and I love it. I have not had any troubles with it. The only thing I noticed is the bushing on the bottom of the steering post is getting loose, so I am going to replace it with one from hotseatperformance.com. But if your talking about a new one, I see they have fixed that problem for 2002.

Old 08-10-2001, 05:25 PM
Pro Rider

I had the 99 Sport, same quad. I rode it fairly hard for over two years without any problems except the above mentioned bushing, which I replaced with the HPD model. It is a great all around quad.

Old 08-10-2001, 06:24 PM
Pro Rider

I too have a Sport (1998), and it's a great quad that hasn't given me any trouble. Before you buy one, just ask yourself what you are looking for in a quad. If you want something light weight, and plan on jumping mx style jumps, then it's not for you. If you want something that is a good all around trail quad, that you can just plow over anything in your path with, then by all means get it. The automatic is a nice feature, and the quad is pretty powerful in stock form. There are a lot of bolt ons that you can add to it to make it even better.

Like I said, my only complaints about mine are the size and the weight. I like to do a lot of jumping, and really fast trail riding, and it's just too big to do it easily.

I haven't had any problems with it at all. It's on the original piston, and it runs sweet.

If I were to buy another Polaris, I think that I would look at getting the 4x4 Scram 400. I have never driven one, but I like the idea of the 4x4. The quad is already heavy, so I doubt the added weight won't make much of a difference.

Just my opinions though.

Good luck!

-Josh

Old 08-10-2001, 07:06 PM
Pro Rider

Not sure if this goes along with you wanting a 400.....I have a 500 4x4 and the 4 wheel drive makes a difference ....alot of places where I go, my friends can not get into ...nor will they try... The 400 is just about like the 500...and they make just about as many mods for both...

And one thing my friend (who has a DS650) says " Is its always good to have a Scrambler in the Pack".

Old 08-10-2001, 10:05 PM
Trailblazer

I dont know what kind of problems you have heard about. But, if the people were just abusing the heck out of the quad of course its gonna break. I have a 2000 400 2x4, and absolutely love it. Bought it knew. I just ordered .190 Douglas Red label rims for it today. And I cant wait!! They will be in Tuesday. But, I ride mine hard and take very good care of it. No major probs to speak of, other than the occasional flat, foul plug, or bent rim. I will buy another 400 in the future, they are a ton (literally) of fun.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 08-10-2001, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider

polarisdood,
You will love the new wheels, they make a great difference in looks, those stock grey ones make it look like a utility quad. I did notice that the .190 wheels are not much lighter, if any.

Old 08-10-2001, 11:35 PM
Trailblazer

Tatarnater,

Go for it! I have a '01 400 2x4 and my friends refer to it as "The Cadillac of ATV's" and "A powerhouse". I do some jumping on mine but I know due to the weight, that I won't get much air.

I beat it hard the first day out and it beat me back. Careful to keep the front end on the ground. It has dumped three people off the back without thinking twice!

No problems with it except my front caliper loosened up after the forth week. Otherwise it has been great.

Old 08-11-2001, 12:48 AM
Pro Rider

The only "problems" with mine have been normal wear and tear, Like plugging a tire and replacing brake pads, Other than that normal maintance has treated me well [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-11-2001, 01:00 AM
Pro Rider

i have a 2000 scram 400 its a fast quad in stock form i have put itp .190 wheels on it they are alot lighter than the stock wheels also they widen the front end too helps cornering a bunch.

i also have a hpd billet head and a 39mm carb i have taken them back off cause i didnt like running racing fuel all the time it also messed my reeds up had to replace them. other than that ive had 0 probs with mine.

im still waiting for polaris to bring out a double a arm lite weight quad i will trade mine in a heartbeat for that one. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Scrambler 400 2*4. Good ATV or not?