Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

162 jet and K&N

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2001, 04:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard that this combination makes more power. Has anyone tried it?
Neil
99 SP500
97 Grand Cherokee[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-11-2001, 11:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2000 STOCK sportman 500.
I installed the K&N filter. The sports man comes stock with a 152cfm jet. I went to a 162.5 main jet. I also installed the green spring from Ritter Racing. No other mods.

Reason for installing it: Mine seemed sluggish in the mud and at 60%-100% throttle.

Results: With the green spring I can almost flip the sportsman in low gear when doing a wheelie! How ever in High gear I did not see much of an improvement. I don’t know if I was expecting to much. It seems to give just a little more snap off the line. It's not jumpy or jerky. The K&N WITH a jet did make a HUGE difference. The throttle response has largely increased but its not a racing machine. I got what I wanted from the mods, more power under load. I was VERY impressed with the machines performance in thick mud and muck. It was able to keep them tires (stock) spring to the point I could let off throttle then hammer it back and it would speed them up again. The changes I chose made the machine feel lighter in the aspect of power on the low end during heavy throttle.

In conclusion I am impressed with the changes and would recommend it to people that might have experienced the same issues. I no longer lack power when I need it. The total package costs $75 and WELL WORTH IT!

P.S. I have 2 friends with the H.O. and they no longer can beat me on top end nor low end.