Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Understanding the Polaris 4wd system...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2001, 05:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OOOK I get it now, I just wish all he other ATV makers would use this kind of system.

I think Hummers have the same concept, with the geared hubs...correct??

Old 08-16-2001, 05:55 PM
Pro Rider

Does anybody know where I can look at a diagram of the system on the net??, or a Manual??, would someone be able to e-mail it to me??

Old 08-16-2001, 07:50 PM
Pro Rider

Yellow HO,
Can you tell me how you snorkled your HO?
what platics you had to cut?what about the air box.
I'v been wanting to do it,but havent got any real good suggestions yet
If you want PM me
Thanks

Old 08-16-2001, 09:09 PM
hc
Range Rover

Hope this helps.With the Polaris All Wheel Drive System activated (AWD selected), the machine operates as a 2-wheel drive vehicle until the rear wheels loose traction. If the rear wheels loose traction the front wheel rotational speed will decrease, causing the front drive axle speed to exceed front wheel speed. Restricting the rotation of the drive clutch of the roller cage will cause the rollers to climb the ramps of the cam, and become squeezed between the ramps and the ring in the hub. When the hub clutch assembly, wheel hub, and drive axle are engaged, the front wheels will drive and engaged until rear wheel traction is regained. When traction is regained, the front wheels will overdrive the hub clutch, pushing the clutch rollers toward the lower part of the cam, disengaging the clutch. The rollers are held in place by the spring. The tension of this spring is critical to AWD hub operation.

It is important that the front and rear axle drive ratio and tire size are not changed. Changing this ratio will cause erratic engagement.

When AWD is selected in a forward gear, current flows through a coil of wire located in the strut housing, creating a magnetic field. An armature plate coupled to the roller cage is attracted to the magnetic field, and resists rotation, creating drag on the drive roller cage assembly. This causes the roller to climb the ramps of the cam, engaging the hub. Note: In reverse gear the override button must be pushed to deliver power to the wheel coil.

Old 08-17-2001, 12:57 AM
Pro Rider

Each front hub, when engaged by the electromagnetic "clutch" serves as a "ratchet". It allows the wheel to spin freely ahead of the rear wheels, with which it is positively hooked up to via the differential-LESS rear-end and front end, but not spin slower. So a front wheel is allowed to go faster than a rear wheel, but not slower. For all the fancy talk, that is it, plain and simple. The front hubs are ratchets that allow the wheels to spin ahead, like on the outside of a turn, but never spin slower than the rear wheels, or what the connecting driveshafts are doing. This is why the Polaris system doesn't work going downhill. If the rear wheels start to slide, only the brakes will keep the front wheels from turning faster than the rear wheels. This is why some guys do the reverse button/backup routine before trying to use AWD to slow their descent, which fools the front hubs into thinking you are going in reverse, which means the front hubs can only ratchet backwards faster than the rear wheels, which does effectively engage the front wheels in a 4x4 descent.
In other words it's a great mud system because no wheel can idle while the other one "takes off" like in a true differential. But for rock climbing, and technical, slick hard surfaces, or downhill, it only lets the front wheels pull when they are slower than the rear. And sometimes that is too late.. Instead of a steady, even pull, the Polaris system works with the slowest common denominator. If a wheel needs a little extra pull and speed, like an outside wheel, the Polaris system will not deliver, but merely let the wheel "ratchet" ahead of the mean average speed supplied by the one speed driveshaft system. Instead of a more sophisticated system which would "differentiate" speed and power requirements of each wheel.

Old 08-17-2001, 01:27 AM
Trailblazer

<< When the back wheeles spin 20% faster then the front the magnets engage All wheel drive not limited slip when all the wheels are turning the same speed the magnets dissengage.
Going around turns is different if you give it gas around a turn the rear wheels will &quot;Break&quot; loose and spin faster than the front thus ingaging the All wheel drive!
Hope that help.
Its like what MagnumMudMan said but more user friendy. (no offence MagnumMudMan!)
>>

The magnets are engauge once the awd switch is on, the only time the magnetic field disengauges, is when you are in reverse(push the override to engauge) or when you switch it off.

Old 08-17-2001, 09:47 AM
Pro Rider

Does anyone have a diagram of this system????

I'd like to see it on some sort of layout, like a repair manual or parts manual...PLEASEEE!!!!!!!

Old 08-17-2001, 10:08 AM
Pro Rider

ATVman, go to the Polaris website, go to the tech section, and they will have listed somewhere, 'exploded parts manual'. Basically, it shows your entire machine taken apart, showing both the part numbers and the way it all fits together. Some of the diagrams are not very detailed, but it is a free download, so all you are out is the time it takes to do that.
The manual is a good thing to have on file anyway, as anything you break, it will show the part number of, as well as how everything else fits around it.

Old 08-17-2001, 10:55 AM
Pro Rider

hc,

I liked your explanation of how the AWD works best, but thought it could be improved slightly. So, I took your explanation and tinkered with it. Hope you're not upset. Anyway, I also posted an exploded diagram of the front hub at the site below. It didn't turn out very large, but hopefully, if someone wanted to, they could download the pic and zoom in until it is big enough. So, here goes my version of how the AWD works (hc's explanation modified).

First off, in order to better understand this operation, one needs to see a parts break-down of the front hub: The parts of the hub are as follows(outside to inside, excluding bearings): Hub, hub clutch assembly (spring, rollers, cage), cam (centered in roller cage, connected to drive shaft by splines or keyway or older models), and armature plate (has 3 dogears engaged in roller cage, with a flat surface floating against electromagnet). Note that the electromagnet is mounted inside the strut housing, and is stationary.

With the Polaris All Wheel Drive System activated (AWD selected), current flows to the electromagnet, creating a magnetic field (in reverse gear the override button must be pushed to deliver power to the electromagnet). The armature plate coupled to the roller cage is attracted to the magnetic field, and resists rotation, creating drag on the hub clutch assembly. With this selected, the machine operates as a 2-wheel drive as long as the front wheel speed is close to the same or greater than the hub clutch assembly. Once the rear wheels loose traction the front wheel rotational speed decreases, causing the front drive axle speed to exceed front wheel speed. This will cause the rollers to climb the ramps of the cam, and become squeezed between the ramps and the inside of the hub. Now, the hub clutch assembly, wheel hub, and drive axle are engaged, and the front wheels will drive and remain engaged until rear wheel traction is regained. Once traction is regained, the front wheels will overdrive the hub clutch assembly, allowing the spring to pull the rollers back into the hub clutch assembly, disengaging the clutch. The tension of this spring is critical to AWD hub operation.

It is important that the front and rear axle drive ratio and tire size are not changed dramatically. Changing this ratio will cause the engagement to be faster or slower than stock, which could be bad on surfaces that don’t allow any slip of the tires.

http://communities.msn.com/atvpictur...amp;PhotoID=17

Hope this can help.

Waylan

Old 08-17-2001, 08:03 PM
hc
Range Rover

Sounds good to me,walexa.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Understanding the Polaris 4wd system...