Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

swingarm bushings shot?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2001 | 12:18 AM
|
Trailblazer

I recently noticed alot of play in the swingarm bushings and want to know if they come loose or do they wear out quick?I grease them regulary so I cant belive they wore out in less than 6 months of riding.anybody else with the same problem?how hard are they to change?

Old 08-27-2001 | 03:28 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I would think your machine is still the same as my '99 Sport. I also grease my reg.. Just had them apart to install a stretched swingarm, they still looked good enough to re-use. If you do dig into it, make sure to have some red loctite on hand, along with the primer that goes with it. If in a pinch, as long as you thoroughly degrease the threads with something like brakeclener, you can, although not recommended, skip the primer. Good luck.

KT

Old 08-27-2001 | 07:39 AM
Pro Rider

I would bet that they just came loose. I replaced mine when the quad was 3 years old and the old ones were not a whole lot different than the new ones. I usually tighten mine about evey other month only because I do alot of fishtailing and jumping.
I think yours has concentric drive so your bolts will be a little easier to get at then mine.

Old 08-27-2001 | 05:02 PM
|
Trailblazer

it seems easy enuff to tighten on the right side, but do i have to remove the clutches to get at the left side?And does anyone know what size wrench i'll need?my ajustable dont even go that big....thanks

Old 08-29-2001 | 11:44 AM
Elite Pro Rider

It's great that you guys are maintaining your quads, but if you install the swingarm bolts with the red loctite and the primer recommended for it, you shouldn't have to mess with them. Also once the loctite is set, and you keep on checking the torque, you are effectively breaking loose the loctite, so now it will come loose. Clean the parts with non-residual brake or electric parts cleaner. Apply the primer, apply the loctite. Install the bolt,and torque to spec. Let set, and leave it alone.

KT

Old 08-29-2001 | 01:31 PM
Pro Rider

You only have to remove the secondary clutch, which is easy. Take out the three bolts that are under the clutch. Now all you have to do is pry the inner cover out of you way, just be carefull not to break it. It is pretty steardy plastic but, just be careful.
I can't remember the sizes of wrenches you need. I think you needa 3/4 or a 13/16 for the bolt and I use a 22mm on the nut. It usually only takes about a half a turn or so depending on how lose they are.
I tried Loctite the first time I replaced the bushings and it didn't hold up for me. I didn't use the primer though. Maybe that would make a difference?

Old 08-29-2001 | 02:50 PM
Trailblazer

My bet is that they didn't come loose. I think the bushings are worn. If you do alot of donuts and wip the back end out alot you can cause this. I've also heard of the vibration from bent axles causing this. Replace the bushings and do as modquad said. The swing arm bolts and nuts are big guys. They are
1-3/4. I bought a craftsmen 1-3/4 socket and a 1/2 to 3/4 drive adapter for my 1/2 inch drive.