Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Questions about the Xplorer 400's.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2001, 08:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am about to get a new quad...I may consider the Xplorer after I get some answers...

1)I hate 2 strokes(the sound), do the Xploreres sound like a high pitched dirtbike?? Or do they sound just like any other 4-stroke??

2) Are they good on gas, since they are 2-stroke

The reason I wanted to get an Xplorer was because they are much cheaper here, I have never sen one perform...tell me about them please.

Thanks

Old 09-03-2001, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

I have a 300 Express. It's a 2 stroke, just the other day I stopped to talked to someone while I was riding. They had thought mine was a 4 stroke because of the way it sounded. My point is that the stock Polaris 2 strokes do not have a 2 stroke sound as long as they have the factory exhaust.
As far as performance goes, a year ago they were the fastest 4x4 made. The only 4x4 that will beat it now is the new Kawasaki 650, the new Grizzly 660 and the soon to be Polaris 700. They have plenty of power and are actually very quiet (the sound of the exhaust is almost identicle to 4 strokes).
The gas mileage isn't to bad. I know they do better than my 300. They aren't as good as the 4 strokes but still they do pretty good. Alot of it actually depends on your riding style. If you are on the gas pretty heavy for long periods of time then they will eat gas pretty quick. However it is easy to ride at a decent pace all day long and put 50 or 60 miles on a tank of gas, if not more than that.
I myself have never owned one but alot of close friends have had them. I would not be afraid to buy one as long as it has the front shaft drive(98 and newer, I think). In fact I woulnd't mind owning one someday if I found a good used one and the price was right.

Old 09-03-2001, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider

Well the reason I was worried about the sound is because when I was at my dealer they had some Polaris that sounded just like a dirtbike (cant remember what model)...also my neighbour has horses and I dont want to scare them when I ride pass them in the field.

I do want the shaft up front, chain is just dumb up front.

They are cheap, I like the prices.

Old 09-03-2001, 11:53 PM
Range Rover

Personally i like mine alot but i if i would do it again i would of bought a Sporstman.My Xplorer has great power and not really louder than a four stroke except maybe when your on the gas hard.
As for the gas milege,me and my cousin on his SP toke a ride the other day.We left at a pretty fast pace then slowed down after a while doing wheelies and drag racing a little.At around 50 miles we turned around and came back doing 30 to 40 mph all the way.At 81 miles i had to put it on reserve and when i got home i had 94 miles on the counter.I had brought a gallon of gas in case i ran out.The sportsman never even put it in reserve.
I lent mine to a friend to go riding with his father in law( slow ride),and at the end of the day he put in 10 cents more than the Prarie 400.When i go grouse hunting i putt around at 5 mph and i don't like the way the bike run's.I hope you know that the xplorer has more matinence then other brands with the Grease fittings and the chain.I grease it ever 3 to 4 rides exect when i ride alot in water.The chain does not need tightening often except if you beat it up bad in the mud or snow,then you might adjust it once and while.
Like i said before i bought mine because it was inexpensive,fast and pulled all 4 wheels in 4wd.If you want to fork out the big bucks get the 650,660 or the 700,the former 2 seem like great bikes and the 700------- well we will see.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]I'm going to wait till they get the bugs out.Hope this helps.Later.

Old 09-04-2001, 12:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

When mine is not in the shop for worn out parts,its alot of fun.The rear chain drive is a POS.I had Polaris replace my chain/sprockets once under warrenty and just recently, I just spent 250 bucks for the very best SideWinder sprockets/chain.I've replaced outside tie rods 4-5 times,a whole new Concentric Drive unit,2 sets of A-Arm bushings,Steering stem bushings three times,swing arm bushings once,a new primary clutch once,every driveshaft on the quad is now new,and so is every brake rotor.The quad is now AGAIN in the shop for rear axle bearings,a defective Master Cyclinder,and one outside tie rod again.Dont worry about the stock exaust,its very quite.I think mine is now faster than the Grizz or Kawi twin.I have added some mods and she really moves.I wont be buying another Polaris,at least I dont think I will.I owned a 99 Sportsman that was in the shop for repairs often to.I will be taking a hard look at the new Grizz 660.Best of luck,

Bill

Old 09-04-2001, 10:26 AM
Pro Rider

Bill,

What are you referring to exactly when you say that you now have a whole new concentric drive unit? And, how did you know to get the swingarm bushings changed?

I have a 2001 Xplorer 400..........it's a good bike. Rides good, lots of power.

Parts replaced out of necessity:

brake pads, yoke on back on front gear box, air filters.

Mods:

boyesen rad valve
wiseco piston
removed oil injection(now amsoil 100:1)
changed front master cylinder to one from Honda 400EX
sidewinder sprockets and chain
works front struts
itp magnum billet rims and surtrac tires (fronts still on backorder)

I have been pleased with my bike........in general, polaris quads do require more maintenance than some of the japanese models, but can also tend to be very durable quads for some people.

Old 09-04-2001, 10:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

Walexa,
about six months ago,the chain would NOT stay adjusted for more than one ride.So the Polaris mechanic traced it down to a defective Concentric drive unit.That helped,however,it did not cure the entire chain adjustment problem.

While doing routine service one day,I jacked up the rear of the quad and took the rear tires and shook them side to side[the entire axle],you could see the swing arms had some play in them.He replaced the swing arm bushings,now the axle bearings are no good.Just jack up the rear of your Xplorer,and move the axle side to side with your hand,its better to grab the tires to do this.If you can see the chain getting slack in it when you perform this,you have either a defective swing arm bushings or defective axle bearings.How are the Sidewinder sprockets and chain holding up?

Bill

Trending Topics

Old 09-04-2001, 11:09 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont have the concentric drive model,
so that means i have a regular chain, i dont care cause it stays tight, and i barley do any jumping,
my scrambler does not sound like a dirtbike
but when you get on it its a screamer,
in high range (since thats all i got)
it has way more power and accel then a sportsman 500,
my freind is always dropping his sportsman in low for stuff thats easy for me,
in low i dont think i can match the torque, but the explorer does,
so i think you could do just finem and stiff whop butt in a drag
have fun

Old 09-04-2001, 11:39 AM
Pro Rider

Bill,

Are you referring to the eccentric bearing carrier, the transmission, the rear swingarm, swingarm bushings, or what exactly when you refer to the concentric drive unit. I'm guessing you're talking about the transmission, but I'm not sure.

I've had my sidewinder setup on for about 200 miles. I like it so far. I can't see any apparent wear. It set me back about $310 though. Maybe it will be worth it.

Old 09-04-2001, 06:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Walexa,
They told me at the dealership that they replaced the Concentric drive unit.Now I think that means the inside gutts on the rotating part of the chain adjustment unit,but DONT hold me to that.I just am not that familier with this set up.

Yes,they also replaced the rear swing arm bushings.Now the bearings that are part of the rear axle are bad.No tranny problems to date.

Seems like Sidewinder charges folks differant prices.I bought the most exspensive chain and Titanium sprockets they had,it was around 250 bucks.I than bought 4 cans of their super duper chain lube for 12 bucks a can.I think im going to start using PAM cooking spray.Lots of locals are having good luck with it.And it only costs 1.50 a can.

Bill

Quick Reply: Questions about the Xplorer 400's.....