Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Loose hub on my Scrambler 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2001, 08:32 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed the other day while my quad was off the ground, the front wheels have a very slight wobble. With the tires off you can move the hub and rotor ever so slightly. Is there wheel bearings that need to be replaced or is there something loose? The struts and everything else visible is tight. Do you need any special tools or a service manual to take it apart? I checked my friends 01 Scrambler 500 4x4 yesterday while riding and his doesn't seem to do it. Thanks for any input.

Old 09-17-2001, 09:28 AM
Trailblazer

I had a control arm bushing go and cause my front hub to loosen. All I had to do was tighten the wheel-bearing nut. There are 2 sets of bearings on each side in this setup. There is an inner and outer for the axle/strut and an inner and outer for the wheel hub.
You may want to take it all the way apart to inspect the bearings but that may not be necessary. I would just try tightening the wheel-bearing nut. It’s easy. You just take off the wheel-hub cap (Has "on demand" imprinted on it). Be careful removing this as it is plastic. Work it out slowly prying gently in a star pattern. Inside you will pretty much find a standard wheel bearing setup. Just remove the cotter pin and tighten the wheel-bearing nut until the wheel does not wobble any more. You should tighten it until there is a slight drag on the wheel. If you have to tighten it any further to the point there is a lot of drag then most likely you need bearings.

Old 09-17-2001, 09:32 AM
Pro Rider

Remove the fill plug. This will prevent a vacuum from forming so you can more easily remove the hub cap. Under the hub cap, you will see a castle nut that is kept from turning by a cotter pin. Remove the cotter pin, and turn (don't tighten) the nut clockwise until there is no slack. Again, this nut is only supposed to be tight enough for there to be no slack in the assembly. Once the adjustment is made, put the cotter pin back in, clean any crud from the o-ring on the cap, and reinstall the cap. Refill the hub with hub fluid or ATF to the 4 or 8 o'clock position, and reinstall the fill plug.