Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

My new pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2001, 12:48 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well; here it is...
Bike weighs aproximately 340lbs. The dyno results were terrible. I seized my piston due to a simple mistake. The bike still made 42 h.p. at the rear wheels with a badly scored piston and cylinder.

Old 09-24-2001, 07:56 AM
Pro Rider

Fasterthangas,

I've always wondered how much weight you could lose if you started losing all of the steel parts off of a Sport like the radiator shroud, skid plate, floorboards etc. If my Sport was ridden in the sand, I could go with a similar setup as yours, but I need the skidplates too much LOTS of nasty rocks here in PA and not too much sand.

I think I'm going to go to white plastic next year, as the yellow fades in the sun.

I was wondering if the race pipe has enough clearance for the old style HPD steering dampener to stay mounted? I kind of need one where I ride. I might have to up grade the clutches on mine too.

About the piston, have the new one coated. It will save you tons of trouble in the long run. I had mine coated at Swaintech. Here is a link: Swaintech

Old 09-24-2001, 09:27 AM
Pro Rider

Fasterthangas,

What caused the seizure?

Mike Chero,

What does swaintech coat the piston with, and what are the advantages?

Thanks,

Waylan

Old 09-24-2001, 12:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

FasterThanGas,
Man, that is one bad **** looking, and apparently, running 400! Really impressive. I can not believe the amount of weight you were able to shave off that machine. Anyhow, I was told by MIke Chero to get ahold of you, as I am moving to Phoenix,(gilbert actually) and need some riding partners. Think we can hook up? My thread, Where to ride, I said I was looking for some speedsters and it looks like you and your 400 are just what Im looking for! If you dont mind riding with a Banshee, I certainly dont mind riding with a Sport, or any other quad for that matter...

RoostKing...

Old 09-24-2001, 01:14 PM
Range Rover

Hey! Mike. ...Or should I say "stranger"?
I've been to Swaintech's site before and i'm very interested. It was also suggested that I have my cylinder nikasiled. Actually; if I had used my head; I wouldn't have lost my bore. With alcohol; you can't make long runs or you will run the bowl out of fuel. That's what I did. I knew better and I forgot.
I favor white plastic as well, but it's hard to clean. Have you seen the new blue metallic on the ScramblerX 400, 4x4? Awesome! I don't have an answer for you on the steering dampner fit.

Roostking;
I'd be glad to have your Banshee along. Always looking for some more riders to hit the dunes. Gilbert is a 45 minute drive from me in Glendale. Just give me an e-mail when you get here; or stop in to the AZ. Bad Boys Forum at:
http://pub8.bravenet.com/forum/show....rnum=612682403

Old 09-24-2001, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider

walexa,

There are two coatings that they (Swaintech) use on the pistons for our applications. The first is TBC (Thremal Barrier Coating). It is a ceramic coating that makes the piston impervious to melt down. It is applied to the cylinder head and the piston dome. The second is Polly-Molly. It is a cross between pollytetrafloroethalene and mollybendenm. This goes on the side of the piston to prevent cold seizures scuffing and the like. A coated piston costs $32 over what a standard Wiseco piston costs. It's cheap insurance for the long haul. An extreme built motor, like Fasterthangas has, should last well over 3000 miles. For us lesser "mortals" it should last a lot longer.

Fasterthangas,

I too have looked at the blue plastic of the Scrambler 400X, but my riding gear is in red, way too much stuff to change over. I noticed that Celeste's TB didn't fade in the sun as mine did, so I'm going to white & red this winter.

The only problem I can see with NiCaSil is you have to go to an aluminum cylinder liner, which means you have to get it ported all over again. It's a pity that they can't make it stick to steel.

Old 09-24-2001, 03:22 PM
Range Rover

Mike;
According to the nikasil people in CA.; it can be applied to my sleeve. It's very expensive at $300.00.
I may go the Swaintech route instead. Guess what? .080 over isn't the end of our bore sizes. a 1980-81 YZ 465 piston will fit our bore and rod for four more bores. You can only run the top ring like a CR250 though. The bottom ring ends will catch in one of the ports due to the pin location. This basically means that I will change rings twice as often.
The stock YZ465 bore is our .080 bore. I'll have to go to the .020 bore on the YZ piston. Cool; ha? Then, when you're ready for a 440 kit; you can switch to the YZ490 piston. The Polaris sleeves are extremely thick.

Old 09-24-2001, 06:03 PM
Pro Rider

Eric,

Sorry to hear about the seize. These things blow up easy! As you saw from my dyno sheet the Sport was only good for about 42.5 hp or so at the rear wheel. On a stock sleeve you can get two more bores over .080 using 86.5mm and 87mm big bore pistons. With the big bore pistons you will have to get the big bore domes. I'm installing the big bore piston and domes in mine.

Jay

Old 09-24-2001, 06:22 PM
Range Rover

Jay;
I'm switching to the big bore as well. I'm going to run gas again and sell the alcohol stuff. We got 55.6 h.p. out of Jerry Goodman's bike the other night. That's rear wheel h.p.

Old 09-24-2001, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider

Eric,

I hear you when you say back on gas. The alcohol stuff is a major pain. FTZ sells a kit that would convert the alky carb back to gas. FTZ did mention that there would be a dead spot in the power band...hell I have that now. What gas carb works best for these HPD race motors?

Jay

Quick Reply: My new pics