Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Just rode the new 700 an hour ago!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2001, 02:01 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealer finally got two of them in yesterday. One is already gone. I went up this morning to take a look at the second one. First off, I think the color and graphic scheme is only so-so, would have looked better in one solid color in my opinion but the raished graphics are nice. Chrome wheels are nice but i'm sure they won't stay looking that way once they hit the mud. Seems to be lots of suspension, I think this thing will ride very nice. Now the moment I've been waiting for, parts manager said go ahead and take it for a burn. I fired it up, has a nice rumble at idle, nothing like a harley davidson or anything but sounds nice. You have to push the foot brake in order to shift out of park which I think will be a pain in the butt but its one of those safety things. Seems to be healthy amount of power, nice strong pull in the mid-range, very powerful for a utility quad. Brakes are better than my 2000 Xplorer 400. I've ridden both the Kawasaki 650 and Grizzly 660. I think the Sportsman has more power than the Grizzly and I think it is right neck and neck with the Kawi, possibly a little stronger pull at mid-range than the Kawi but they are both extremely close. Steering seemed to be okay, about the same as my Xplorer 400. Tires are nice, I think these are the best tires that you can get on a stock machine. Also found it interesting how the battery is now mounted under the seat.

My overall opinion- Sweet! I liked it so much, I will be buying one once I unload the Honda.

Mitch
00 Xplorer 400
02 400 EX (for sale)

Old 10-04-2001, 02:25 PM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

I saw the 700 Sportsman for the first time yesterday. Could not ride it because all three ordered sold ($7400) before assembly. It looks like a nice machine except the black and grey looks crappy on the machine. The black will look like hell after the first mud run! The engine is quiet and sound like a sewing machine. Overall impression: AVERAGE and not worth the money to upgrade from a 500HO.

Old 10-04-2001, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider

Weedy,
So you don't like the 700 because it isn't loud enough?!?! The manufacturers now are shooting for quietness. I for one would rather like a quiet machine than a loud one.

Old 10-04-2001, 09:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

My dealer only received ONE 700 two wks ago,and it still has not sold.I went and looked at it,I was'nt real thrilled about it either.The graphics were OK and it was a nice looking ATV,but nothing to write home about!

Bill

Old 10-04-2001, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

I saw it for the first time today. Like you guys, I was impressed a little. The battery is what impressed me most along with the shifter and it's linkage. I didn't get to drive it so I can't say about the power. They had HO's for $5799 and for that price I would go for an HO over the $7400 price tag. The machine that impressed me most was the Sportsman 500 HOX. That blue is awesome. The seat is the coolest thing yet! They had it priced at $750 more than a regular HO. The thing is though, that the X came with a 2500 lb. Warn winch and the brackets for it on front and back. If you add that in, and the chrome wheels and new tires, the price ain't too bad. Only problem is that the HOX dry weight was 3 lbs. heavier than the 700(must be from the winch) making 743 lbs. For now I will stick with my 600 lb Xplorer until I get to drive an HOX or a 700 to see if the power makes up for the weight. I have buddies with 500 and 500 HO's that ride with me, and when they get stuck it is like trying to move two Xplorers! Way too heavy for that situation. Maybe that's why the HOX comes with a moveable winch, no more broken backs for the consumers.

Old 10-04-2001, 10:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dealer got #0749, I think. I was not super impressed. The had all the big three sitting in a line so you could compare. I t looks physically bigger than the grizz a little, but not much. And higher than both the grizz and the kawi.(seat height.)
Fit and finish was the polaris usual, poor. It was better on both the rice grinders. I think the only thing I thought was a nice touch was the drain in the belt housing. Looks as heavy as it is.

Old 10-05-2001, 09:44 AM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

I liked the quietness of the 700. I am not impressed enought to spend $900 more for the 700 over the 500. The engine is a 'even-firing paralell twin' and do the pistons fire oposite of each other or do both fire each time they go up together?

Hey Roofer

How do you like your 589 MTs? I am considering a set for my HO.

Old 10-05-2001, 10:56 AM
Trailblazer

How long will the master cylnder in the rear wheel well last till it brakes??

Old 10-05-2001, 12:38 PM
Range Rover

They fire opposite eath other. That is how they got away with a smaller carb.

Old 10-06-2001, 01:37 AM
Pro Rider

I haven't seen the 700 in person yet, i need to go by the dealer pretty soon, to see what all they have got, when the 2002's arrive!

Quick Reply: Just rode the new 700 an hour ago!