Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Two stroke sled motor in ATV?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2001, 01:07 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anybody done this or even seen it done? I remember seeing someone on here had done this. I don't remember who it was.

I've thought about it because I used to have a 440 Artic Cat/Cheetah. I was only 15 or so but I remember that engine would really go. If I were to come up with a Polaris with a bad motor or tranny, it may temp me to start a "project quad".

Old 10-28-2001, 09:58 AM
Pro Rider

I think there may be some complications with hooking up a cooling system to the engine. But I could be wrong.

Old 10-28-2001, 10:19 AM
Pro Rider

There is a guy on here called 800twin he has a Trail Blazer with the 800 twin in it

Old 10-28-2001, 10:32 AM
Pro Rider

I'm pretty sure that there would be cooling problems in general. Snowmobile engines are designed to run at relatively low temperatures, so there are lots of little tricks that the manufacturers use to take advantage of the lower operating temps. Dropping that engine into a 4-wheeler, which would be used in the warmer months of the year, with a lower capacity cooling system (referring to a liquid cooling system) would be a difficult thing for the engine. Liquid cooling systems in snowmobiles run coolant through heat exchangers in the tunnel of the sled, where they're constantly being sprayed with snow and having air from the track blown on them. Needless to say, the liquid gets quite cold, so naturally the engine runs cooler. How you would get a system that dissapates as much heat as that is beyond me.

As for fan-cooled engines... they are designed to run much hotter than liquid-cooled engines, but they don't make anywhere near as much power. Also, in most cases, I don't think the engine would fit in the frame, because it's so wide with the cooling fan on one end and the primary clutch on the other.

Its a nice idea, though... and if you could somehow widen your frame, you might be able to do it with a fan-cooled engine. I'd definitely want to see pics of it if you ever decide to try it.

Old 10-28-2001, 12:52 PM
Pro Rider
Old 10-28-2001, 01:34 PM
Pro Rider

If a big block chevy can be put in a motorcycle then I say lets start putting sled engines in quads, how about a polaris thunderkitty or a mxz sport.

Old 10-28-2001, 02:04 PM
Pro Rider

Heh... I'm impressed...

Old 10-28-2001, 02:10 PM
Pro Rider

If you are building a drag machine there will be no problems with the cooling. However if you are trying to build one to try to trail ride then you will have a problem with the cooling. The snowmobile engine on quad frame idea has been done for quite a few years. I have seen everything from 340cc twin clear up to a 1500cc Genisis triple. I do not remember what mag it was in (ATV Sport I believe) but someone had a Trailblazer with the 1500cc Genisis. I haven't been able to look at one up close to see the ways (I'm sure there are more than one) they transfered the power to the axle. I think a liquid 440 from a MXZX, Pro X, or ZR SnoPro would be the way I would go.

Old 10-28-2001, 02:21 PM
Pro Rider

I know there is a company in Oregon that can graft a third cylinder onto a Banshee. If they could do the same for the 400L that could possibly sovle your cooling issue, giving you the potential for 880cc's?

Of course that would be one wide motor to cram into the OE chassis.

Old 10-29-2001, 03:04 AM
Elite Pro Rider

MANY months ago I posted info on Hot Seats prototype. At the time, and presently, it has a 600 twin installed. It was designed to accomodate a 440, 600,or 700. I has a substantially larger vertical radiator. It is one of a kind custom frame. The main prob now is keeping teeth on the rear sprocket, and building a trans that can handle the power. Even with all their resources, the project is on hold.......have a nut.

KT

Quick Reply: Two stroke sled motor in ATV?