Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Denial of Warranty! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2001, 05:48 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I heard from my dealer today. The STAR mechanic (3rd party warranty) looked at my quad and ripped it apart. He said and the dealer mechanics agree that an internal part broke causeing oil to be pumped into the case instead of the engine. I guess the oil pump runs off an internal part, and that's what failed. Thus causing a rod to get sent though my block and trash the tranny as well! The STAR guy then claims that the part that failed isn't covererd under his warranty! It has to be an oil pump (not the drive that turns it!) And that's BullSHlT!!!

The ATV has 600 miles on it and is a 99' Xplorer 400. I've had nothing but problems with this ATV. It's had a new frame with 150 miles on it!

Has anyone delt with STAR before, Are they always like this? It's 2 grand the dealer said to get the quad up and running again. F.T.S I'm pissed right now. The dealer is trying to fight for me but he thinks his efforts will be invain.

Old 10-30-2001, 06:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

If your dealer is TRULY concerned about helping you,he will turn his efforts towards POLARIS and leave that STAR warrenty alone for awile.

The ATV is only showing 600 miles and its a 99 model?The dealer can call Polaris and attempt a claim with them.They will OFTEN cover parts that are outside of their warrenty period,especially if the ATV has only 600 miles it.

I also has a POS Polaris.My 00 Xplorer is ALLWAYS in the shop for worn parts.So was my 99 Sportsman.I feel for yah Man!

Bill

Old 10-30-2001, 06:25 PM
Pro Rider

Man that sucks
Just keep raiseing hell withthe star people.
As far as I can tell most warrenty people suck.

Old 10-31-2001, 02:23 AM
Pro Rider

Bill,
After having read many of your most recent posts, I have to admit that you are a breath of fresh air on this forum. I've seen you go from a "Polaris is the best and everyone else sucks", to an honest ATV rider who has had some bad luck with a few models of that very same manufacturer. I to, have been an overly zealous advocate of my quad. That very same quad is now in the shop getting the pickup coil replaced, which by the way is on back order! The thing that really sucks about it is that the pickup coil and the alternator are all in the same "unit". They can be separated, but they can't be bought separately, so now I have to buy a whole new alternator! That ain't cheap! My hope is that this is just an isolated incident and I won't have any other problems, but only time will tell. After 1300 miles I guess I can't complain too much, but still, it would have been better if it wouldn't have broken. Of course its been almost 2 weeks, and we've gotten alot of rain recently. So all my buddies are hounding me to go out riding, but I can't. AAAAARG!! Happy trails.

Rick

Old 10-31-2001, 07:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

Rick,
I appreaciate your response,however,I doubt that you can show me ONE POST where I ever said Polaris is the best and everyone else SUCKS?

Perhaps I was very PRO POLARIS,but I dont beleive you could show me one post where I said what you claimed I said?Maybe I did think the Sportsman was maybe the best thing since the invention of the Bikini?That thought has long passed and since owning two brand new Polaris ATVs in the past 3 yrs with numerous problems,my mind has certainly swayed against Polaris ATVs.They have,with no doubt in my mind,reliability issues that need to be addressed.And its not just a case of bad luck,as you put it.I can take you to my local riding area and randomly grab the handlebars of most any Polaris ATV and it'll have play in it.Steering bushings and tie rods have been junk for yrs and Polaris still uses that shi?

Its sorta funny that you mentioned me once being Pro Polaris and now im not.I get my share of slams for voicing my HONEST opionion about Polaris ATVs in these forums.Some Polaris riders dont want to hear some of the negative things I say about Polaris products,thats just to damn bad because that opionion is coming from someone[an OWNER] who has invested over 15 grand in two Polaris ATVs in the past 3yrs and knows what he's talking about.To a certain point,I understand where they're coming from because I USED to be just like them,but I have now,

''SEEN THE LIGHT''[LOL]

Bill

Old 10-31-2001, 09:26 AM
Pro Rider

Sorry to hear your coverage is denied. If the extended warranty company refuses to pay for your repair, I would make a whole lot of noise, and at least get my money back on what I paid for the extended warranty. If not all, at least some. What good is a warranty no one stands behind?
I think your chances are better if the dealership goes through Polaris rather than a 3rd party mechanic/warranty service.
The dealership I go to doesn't even offer extended warranties except through Polaris anymore. They said it is just too big a headache trying to coordinate everything & get coverage. They have a certified Polaris mechanic, and if HE says that the part failed due to a fault of some sort, you have a much better chance of getting it covered.

Old 10-31-2001, 10:11 AM
Trailblazer

I've spent $22,200 on Brand new Polaris ATV's in the last 5 years! I've owned a new Trail blazer/300 xplorer/ Sportsman 500/400 xplorer. I've never had such problems with a quad as this one. My brother who owned 2 new Polaris ATV's has switched back to Honda due to reliabilty issues and I think I will follow suit. After years of ownership of new Polaris ATV's I can't believe I'm getting this hassle from a 3rd party insurance company. I'm sure if the warranty is though the dealership they would of had no problems at all covering it. I don't understand if a certified Polaris mechanic said a covered part failed, but the STAR adjuster says it doesn't, what right does he have? He's not certified I would think, and since he covers a huge assortment of vehicles he is no expert on Polaris ATV's. I looked up STAR's company who is a daughter company of the largest national insurance company in the U.S.A. The company has posted gains every quarter and now I know why, by screwing the end users of their warranty!

Do not waste your money on the POLARIS/STAR warranty, ask if there is just a POLARIS extended warranty.

Old 10-31-2001, 11:55 AM
Pro Rider

The rod went through the cases ? I have never seen a polaris 400 break a rod , and most certainly not as the result of a failed oil pump . I think the dealer is misdiagnosing a broken piston skirt . And ruined the transmission too ? ~~~puzzled~~~

The only thing I can think that would be likely to fail in the oil pump drive area is the roll pin on the pump gear .

Can you clarify this a little ?

Can you take a digital camera to the dealer and take some internal engine photo's for me to see ?

And if you would , E-mail me a copy of your warranty .

If they want to screw you ,, fair enough .. They should admitt it , this wild story sounds like an excuse as to avoid having to admitt it ..

Old 10-31-2001, 12:03 PM
Trailblazer

You'll have to excuse my ignorance about this. I am running off information provided to me by my dealership whom I trust. He claims that the block is indeed shot, due to lack of oil a rod gouged the block bad enough where the dealer claims he wouldn't even want to try and rebuild it. The oil pump's problem was that it stopped pumping oil into the engine and proceeded to pump it in the case of the engine filling the case with oil. Here is a letter I wrote to STAR/SPORT parent company INDS.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am writing this letter as one of my last courses of action without legal representation. My problem is with your Albany N.Y STAR/SPORT representative; I will give you an explanation about my situation.

I own a 99’ Polaris 400 xplorer. The ATV has 600 miles on it , It seems the oil pump has failed causing a total engine failure. However your agent has made an excuse that me and my dealer cannot believe he had the audacity to try and pull. His claims were that a non-covered part failed and that caused the oil pump to fail. However in your brochure and my contract you state “ALL INTERNAL LUBRICATED PARTS ARE COVERED”. The part that failed was an internal lubricated part that turns the oil pump. I believe because of the cost of this job he is trying to find his way out of this. In fact the cost for this is around $2,000 which in my case would be cheaper to hire a lawyer and fight this in court. I’ve owed a total of 4 brand new Polaris ATV’s, I’ve never had a problem with them like this. My dealership is %100 percent behind my claims and a factory certified Polaris mechanic has also inspected the ATV. If this goes to court I will have those people with me to attest to this. The ATV also has 600 miles on it and is in near mint shape. I feel that your agent is being unfair about this claim.

My dealership is Griffin Motorsports 3909 STATE STREET SCHENECTADY NY 12304

Phone number is 518-381-4883

This agent represents your company; along with many friends and relatives we have bought a lot of Polaris ATV’s and extended warranties from your STAR/SPORT branch. It would not bode well for your local agent to have such a high profile case turn into an ugly war. Currently I am reframing from slandering you’re company over the bulletin boards on the Internet, if this fails I will feel it would me my obligation to warn people about the “kind of” warranty your agency’s offer.

Sincerely

Kyle Turon

<< The rod went through the cases ? I have never seen a polaris 400 break a rod , and most certainly not as the result of a failed oil pump . I think the dealer is misdiagnosing a broken piston skirt . And ruined the transmission too ? ~~~puzzled~~~

The only thing I can think that would be likely to fail in the oil pump drive area is the roll pin on the pump gear .

Can you clarify this a little ?
>>

Old 10-31-2001, 12:04 PM
Trailblazer

Here is a letter from another guy I found with the same problem. I talked to him

The problem you have with your ATV is very common on Polaris ATV's.
I ride with 3 other guys that have Polaris's and the one guy with a 2 stroke 400 Sportsman is on his 4th motor because of that little pump. The problem he was having is that water was getting into the pump area and seizing the pump thus no oil into the motor. Siezed every time.

The last time the factory changed the motor, they told him he cannot go into water deeper than the foot boards. WTF is that. All their ad's and pictures show the Polaris under water and still moving. He is a very pissed owner.

Quick Reply: Denial of Warranty! HELP!