Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

What happened to the Diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2001, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm still kind of wondering about the Diesel.
I know that it's not the kind of quad for me, but I would like to know what onwers thought of it.

Old 11-10-2001, 01:43 AM
Pro Rider

my great uncle has one, he just uses it for farm work, but i've never ridden it, its not the fastest utility out there, lol, but then again it wasn't built to be fast, just very torquey!
It has a very destinctive sound, and loud too, it sounds cool!

Old 11-10-2001, 06:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

Shaggy,
my current Polaris dealership mechanic takes real good care of me as far as service is concerned.Im a licnesed ATV safety instructor and use that leverage to my advantage.I let the dealership KNOW that I need to come first when it comes to service because I need my quad back in order to sucessfully teach a class.I instruct this class allmost all wk ends.He knows if there are 50 work orders ahead of me,that when I come in for service,I NEED to be in line NEXT for service?Im very AFRAID to walk away from this type of service.They cater to me and my mechanic never trys to blame me for problems the quad has!

Last yr,I busted a driveshaft while plowing snow,he ''over nighted''that shaft for me and I was back on the road quickly.I understand there has been ALOT of changes to the new 700.I dont want a quad anywhere near 700lbs,much less 740 lbs,but I have reconcidered, I will test ride one and see what she feels like?When I climb a steep hill with the 700,if it does'nt ride like a tank and can manuver a STEEP hill with unending ease,I MIGHT further concider this quad and forget the weight issue.

Polaris has made ALOT of new changes on this ATV.Im very nervous about the thought of even concidering one,especially after owning two junk ones,however,the care that my current dealership gives me,accounts for something,and I like the new changes on this model,minus the weight.

If I can get a promise from a Yamaha dealer on the same service I currently have on my Polaris,im most likely going to buy the new Grizz.There are still a few issues on the Grizz that concern me?I want a fix for the speed sensor while the quad is in the locked 4x4 mode,and something needs to be done about the random sputtering that happens after you cross ALOT of water.

Im still heavily favoring the Grizz,but I no longer will count out the new 700.

Bill

Old 11-10-2001, 06:37 AM
Trailblazer

I know 2 local farmers that have diesels. They use them for work. The one and only reason they have theirs is that diesel fuel is redily available on the farm.

Old 11-10-2001, 03:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'd love to see Polaris put the diesel in the Ranger 4X4 or 6X6. I have a John Deeere Gator 6X4 now that we use at driving range to pick up golf ***** and it has 1700 + hours on it and never a moments problem. Tried out a gas one before opting for the diesel and found I got 5 hours to the tank with the gas and 18 hours to the tank with diesel. Due to the fact that I have off-road diesel cheap it didn't take much to see the benefits of cost per hour of operating and it isn't any slower than the gas Gator. Anyone have any experiences with a Ranger ? I want to go with one for the rear suspension... the Gator has Zero. Diesel Ranger I think would be great, considering people don't buy Rangers for their speed..

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-11-2001, 12:31 AM
Pro Rider

Unclemuck, thats another reason my uncle has his deisel as well, because of the availability of gas on the farm!

Old 11-13-2001, 09:02 AM
Range Rover

<< Jack,
I look forward to meeting you and your riding friends.We'll talk about MATVA for a minute and I'll even ask you if we can switch rides for a minute?I may be looking at the new 700 myself?Keep me posted,we will ride soon?

Bill
>>

A buddy of mine is supposed to be picking up a Grizz 660 this week sometime. The next few weeks are deer season so I won't be doing much riding. If December isn't too darn cold we will probably be heading up to the Mounds then sometime.
You say that you have found a very good Polaris mechanic (too bad you needed one! I hope I don't have the same experience that you have had, so far 125 miles on the 700 and no problems.). Who/where is this dealer? I bought mine from Jan's in Goodrich but if there is a better service place around I would like to know about it.

Old 11-13-2001, 11:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

Jack,
I purchased both my Polaris ATVs from Townline in Flint Mi.I would'nt recommend buying a tricycle with training wheels from them again,their service department sucks.

Now for the GOOD news.I see Steve at Jans in Goodrich Mi,thats exactly where you purchased your ATV from.Roger[Steve's cousin]runs the service department.I got TOTALLY fed up with Townlines lack of knowledge on ATVs.I brought my Sportsman to Townline service for an engine noise,six weeks later,they had it ready.The dude was loading it up in my P.U truck and it still had the SAME noise I brought it in for six wks earlier.I took it to Jans.Steve said the mechanic at TL left a part out of my decompression lever.Anyways,Jans is where you want to bring it.Tell Roger and Steve that Bill [the ATV instructor] HIGHLY recommended Steve.For security reasons,I dont leave my last name on the internet.I'll give it to you when we meet at the Mounds.December is good riding,my 4x4 ATV is NEVER done for the season,regardless of weather conditions.

Best of luck,
Bill