Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

What happened to the Diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2001, 11:03 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I was picking up my SP700 a few weeks ago I noticed that Polaris doesn't offer the diesel powered Sportsman anymore. I always thought that it was kind of a cool idea, putting a diesel in a utility quad. Anybody out there have one? How do you like/despise it?

Old 11-07-2001, 02:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

I said it when it was first introduced to ATVing,the Diesel would be a fluke,and man,was it ever!

The Diesel has little to no use in the ATV world.There was nothing that the stinky/slow moving diesel could do that the 500cc Sportsman could'nt do just as well.And when your done ''working'' with the gas powered Sportsman,you COULD actually go for a trail ride with it.

Im glad to hear it's been removed from production.

Bill

Old 11-07-2001, 03:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Jack,
I see your my neighbor?Im also from Michigan.I live in Burton Mi,near Flint.You need to check out the MATVA [Michigan All Terrain Vehicle Association] association if your REALLY into ATVing?

Bill

Old 11-07-2001, 03:33 PM
Range Rover

<< Jack,
I see your my neighbor?Im also from Michigan.I live in Burton Mi,near Flint.You need to check out the MATVA [Michigan All Terrain Vehicle Association] association if your REALLY into ATVing?

Bill
>>

You guys got a web site? Wouldn't mind checking them out. I don't know if I can claim to be &quot;REALLY&quot; in to ATV'ing as I haven't been doing it for more than about 2 years but I do enjoy it. How's the MOUNDS ORV area? I have been wanting to go but haven't gotten around to it. My buds and I have been riding around the ORV trails near *aylord,MI(*=G ,this forum won't let me put the G in front of it! &quot;FORBIDDEN WORD&quot;! - guess they are homophobic!) mostly.

Old 11-08-2001, 02:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

Jack,
I live 7 miles from the Mounds and frequent it ALOT.If I dont have ATV safety classes on the wk ends,im usually at the Mounds riding.

I have a 2000 400cc Polaris Xplorer 4x4
2-2001 Kawi Lakota's

MATVAs web site,

www.miatvassoc.com

Bill

Old 11-08-2001, 10:02 AM
Range Rover

MUDDY4LIFE,

Thanks for the URL, I will check it out and forward it to my buddies too.

What do you think of the Mounds? Is it a good place to ride? What kind of terrain is it mostly- hills? mud? sand?. Maybe we will run in to you up there one of these days!

Old 11-08-2001, 11:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

Jack,
the Mounds is 200 acres of mixed terrain.There is LOTS of mud,some marginal hills,some off camber riding,some tight trails,and some trails that are POORLY maintained by management.All trails are two way.

It is definately worth an afternoon of riding.Dont worry about running out of fuel[come in with a full tank IN your ATV] or getting lost,it wont happen their.You and your friends need to meet me there for a grand tour.I know the place better than the mosquitoes do.I been riding it since the early 80s.

Hrs are'
Mon-Sat 8am till Sundown
Sunday-12pm till Sundown

March 15th thru May 15th,ONLY 10 acres of the Mounds are open,it is NOT worth the time or $$ to ride than.

Cost to enter the Mounds is 5 bucks per day per rider for Genesee County residents and 8 bucks per day for NON residents.Just tell the booth guys you are a resident and pay 5 bucks per rider.Make SURE ALL your ATVs will pass the 94db sound limit.If you have STOCK exaust,it will SURLY pass and wont even be checked.

Sundays is a blast to ride.The Mounds usually attract ALOT of 4x4 PU trucks on this day.Its fun to go to the back of the Mounds and watch the trucks get CRAZY in the mud pitts.I usually ride there on Sundays.Im a licensed ATV Safety instructor,and I teach on many wk ends,however,my Sunday class is usually done at 12pm,I than usually wind up at the Mounds around 1pm or so.I plan on being there this Sunday.

Hope all my jibber jabber helped you out?

Bill

Old 11-09-2001, 09:16 AM
Range Rover

MUDDY4LIFE,
Yeah, your info is appreciated- thanks! We are heading up to G.aylord this weekend but if the chance comes up that we deceide to make a run to the Mounds some weekend I will post on this forum and see if your gonna be there or not.

Old 11-09-2001, 03:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Jack,
I look forward to meeting you and your riding friends.We'll talk about MATVA for a minute and I'll even ask you if we can switch rides for a minute?I may be looking at the new 700 myself?Keep me posted,we will ride soon?

Bill

Old 11-09-2001, 07:35 PM
Pro Rider

Hi Bill
After all that has been said you are looking at the 700??? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
Must be some mistake. RIGHT!!!

Quick Reply: What happened to the Diesel?