Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

400 Explorer, please give me some info

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2001, 12:08 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As some of you may already know, I am looking for a utility to basically plow driveways with, and also go mudding a whole lot. I was thinking a kodiak would be nice, but i just found a 1999 400 explorer. It has 700 miles on it, is in pretty good condition (plastic looks real nice) and over all looks like a solid machine.

So, What i was thinking was, was that it would be a really good mudder (being that it is two stroke, so more wheel spin) but then would it plow very good? So just tell me your opinions on the matter. After this winter i would probably have a winch, plow, lift kit and good tires on it so i woul be dumping some more money into.

Also, the guy is asking 3300, i might be able to talk him down to 3100-3000, Does this price seem fair to you, it comes with no modifications. Thanks alot

Derek

Old 11-10-2001, 06:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

The price is pretty good.If you plan on mudding alot,plan on also spending ALOT of money on parts,especially chains and sprockets.I have a 00 model,and im on my 3rd set[chains and sprockets] in 2200 miles.Brakes dont last in this type of terrain either.Its one of the best mudders out there.But maintenance will be very high.Snow plowing is a BREEZE and done with no difficulty,especially if you add 4 new Goodyear Mudrunners on all 4 corners?Stay out of the mud and maintenance SHOULD decrease some?

Best of luck,
Bill

Old 11-10-2001, 07:36 AM
Pro Rider

Actually for snow plowing a 2-stroke should be a better choice than a 4-stroke. 2-strokes start easier in cold weather, warm up faster, and are more powerful.
And you get that wonderful 2-stroke aroma.

Old 11-10-2001, 07:39 AM
Range Rover

My 99 xplorer has 4300 miles on it,have not had much trouble yet.
One chain
3 belts(one my fault the other my daughter)
1 headlight
2 sets of brakes
1 set of tie rods ends
Steering bushing o ring
Pretty much due for some sprocket's

I wan't to buy a scrambler but because me and the wife double up for the winter poker runs every 2-3 weekends, i thought the xplorer would be better.

I ride my bike pretty hard when i'm bye myself and go mudding every 2-3 rides and there are not many pre 02 models that can beat it in the mud and snow.

I can get 60 mph on a flat road (counter speed) and out drag most 4x4's,if that is your kick.

I don't like it for hunting it does not seem to like going from 0-5 mph at a steady pace.

All in all if i was to do it all over at the time i would spend the extra cash for the sportsman 500,but i do not mind the extra weight.The motor is strong enough for me and the IRS is AWESOME.

Steven

Old 11-11-2001, 01:04 AM
Pro Rider

Well I went to look at it today, and i have some questions. Well i get there, and it looks pretty good, even has some 25" 489s on there that look just about new. Well anyway, I get on, start it, it fires right up. And the woman (her husband was out in the fields, supposidly) said, dont forget to push down on the clutch when you shift it into drive. Well anyway, i question her, and say its an automatic, so it has an automatic clutch and i dont have to do anything. She points down (on the right floorboard side) and says thats the clutch, just make sure you use it. I tell her it has to be the brakes, and she says, no, it only has one brake lever and it is on the left side of the handle bar and that is the clutch. Well Anyway, I take off and press on the Brake/Clutch and it does absolutely nothing. I even press it while i was on the gas just to make sure it didnt take power away from the wheels. Well That was problem one. Problem two would be that it actually has 1100 miles, and probable more. I rode it maybe 2 miles total and the mile counter, nor the spedometer moved once. So it could have 3,000 miles on it for all i know. And third, when i put it in drive, two out of maybe the 4 or 5 times i did it, it made a really terrible grinding noise. Well i question her about it, and she keeps bringing up, "well, did you use the clutch"

Is there something i dont know here. I Always thought of myself as very knowledgable on fourwheelers. But man i feel really retarded. I do not think i will be buying this one. Too many things seem to not work out.

Well thanks, and if you know the answer , let me know.

Oh, and also, i thought i was being kinda funny, cause i looked down there and i go "gee, ive never ever seen a clutch with a brake rotar and brake pads attached" she didnt think that was to funny. And also, when i gassed it and put the brakes on, nothing happened. I think the brakes just must have needed either replaced or adjusted.

Well thanks again

Derek

Old 11-11-2001, 01:21 AM
Range Rover

derekhonda, how fast can you run away from this deal................!!Poof>.............

Old 11-11-2001, 07:35 AM
Range Rover

See any peace pipes hanging around there ?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

The grinding sound might be the bike idling to high or the linkage out of place.

If the speedo's not working i would not take a chance unless you know someone that knows them.

Old 11-11-2001, 08:23 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like a typical uncared for Polaris.Back aux. brake has to be adjusted alotand the shifter linkages checked along with the idle at times.Really dont need (the CLUTCH).Her husband probbly told her that so she wouldnt start it in gear with it idled up. Brad 1996 425 Mganum 4x4-----------1996 400 Sportsman 4x4 2 stroke-------2001 Yamaha Breeze(my sons)

Old 11-11-2001, 12:29 PM
Pro Rider

Well thanks alot for your help guys, i still think i want an explorer, but it seems like there are good ones and bad ones (atleast maintenence wise) I read about some of these guys who have had just normal wear and tear problems, but thats no problem, and then i read about other guys who have had loads of trouble. I just want a nice reliable machine to make me some money in the winter, and have some fun on in the fall and spring.

Thanks alot.

Derek

Old 11-11-2001, 08:54 PM
Pro Rider

Derek. If well cared for, an Xplorer should hold up well, if you know it's limitations. Don't modify it in any way (adding just a pipe will start to strain driveline parts - I wish that for all the extra weight that Polaris puts in their ATVs, they would overbuild them a little more) and also if you run it through much mud, rinse it off with a garden hose, over the brake pads & rotors, all suspension & steering joints, plus the chain & sprockets. After it dries out good, grease all the zerks, ride it around a little to warm up the chain (and dry out the brakes) and lube the chain. The brakes wear fast in mud if they are not the severe duty pads. Also, if washed off, and left to dry slowly, they will wear quicker than if you drive it around a little, with light pressure to dry them out quicker. Mud riding also takes its toll in accelerated wear in the tie rod ends, the outer in particular.

That said, for normal trail riding, and light to moderate farm use, mine has gone 5000 miles with under $70 worth of parts, plus one belt, and a lot of greasings. Yes, it takes more maintanence than my other quad, but it outperforms it by such a margin, I am willing to put up with the extra effort it requires. The main things to watch are the chain, brakes, and steering joints.

PS That Xplorer you mentioned seems to me to be of too questionable of quality to risk buying, in my book.

Quick Reply: 400 Explorer, please give me some info