Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

what mods to beat ds650's and raptors??

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2001, 07:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

modquad,
I know what you mean about a Polaris holeshot. It is like a rubberband effect or something. Even my slightly modded Scrambler took Banshee's till about 40MPH.
As far as tight trails.... I'm OK, but sometimes between two close trees I kinda hold my breath & tense up, know what I mean? Other than that I love the fat hog [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-23-2001, 12:54 AM
Pro Rider

Modquad~
I too know what you mean about the Polaris having an awesome holeshot. My very mildly modded Scrambler would beat a stock banshee out of the hole simply because it would hook up where the banshee would just spin. The race would be the same against a DS partially because the DS has very crappy stock tires. I thought the article on your Polaris was a pleasure to read, although I thought the dyno readings were a little dissapointing for HPD's full race engine. Did you figure out anything that may have hindered the dyno reading, or does your Polaris really lose almost 30 HP from the crank back to the rear wheels? Oh yeah, drop me an email If you ever go to Black River Falls area or another place in my direction(south of you[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]). I'd love to see what your machine can actually do!
My DS has had a couple encounters with stumps because of the width, but it has also helped me from getting hung up because it stays on the outside of ruts. Maybe a DS isn't the ideal machine for Wisconsin's woods, but I also ride plenty of firelanes which is where the DS is in its prime. Topped out in 5th gear is scary fast, even in stock form!

Old 11-23-2001, 10:26 AM
Elite Pro Rider

The DS would be excellent at Black River...just watch out for the oncoming machines. As far as the dyno goes, a different primary spring would help smooth out that dyno graph dip. Darrell (HPD) took some time out of his busy schedule to double check and fine tune the clutch. All in all, the chassis dyno is not the way to measure these machines. After HPD's fine tuning, this thing launched like a rocket (complements to them, not bragging). I also am to blame for a rear end vibration from some slightly misaligned Titanium wheel studs, this has since been fixed. The best test is to line 'em up and let 'em rip. Taken almost 100lbs off the machine, and with the HP gains, it's lots of fun to ride. Once I get the new shock setup on, the only other thing I might try is fabbing an aluminum rear subframe. It's much easier to put the quad on a diet, than me. Thanks for the comments. And I'll try to post any Black River rides, you do the same please.

Thank,
Ken

Old 11-23-2001, 11:21 AM
Pro Rider

Man, I wish that one day I could get somebody with a stock Raptor, stock DS, and stock Banshee at my house so I could witness a drag race between the three of them. I hear so many different stories about which is faster, but have yet to see a race between any of them myself.

I suppose that you get different results mainly because of all the different rider abilities and terrain they are on. I'd like to see them all lined up on pavement and have them drag race and see who wins on top end too.

It's strange because I have heard Banshee owners say that a Raptor is slightly faster, but then I have also hear Banshee and Raptor owners say that the Banshee is still a little faster. Then I have heard people say the Raptor and the DS are the exact same speed, and some that say that the Raptor out accelerates the DS. I have no clue what is fact and what is fiction. In the end I don't care who wins...I'd just like to know.

Oh well, there are more important things going on in the world than worrying about who's quad is the fastest, but isn't it nice to be able to take your mind off of all those other "not so nice" things?

-Josh

Old 11-24-2001, 01:34 AM
Pro Rider

Piranha~
I would love to have those 3 machines lined up side by side for a drag race. Here's what I think would happen(on pavement) from what I know from experience and from what I've read. Although I own a DS, I am not being biased...just my honest opinion.
Right off the line, the raptor would jump out to the lead with the banshee and DS neck in neck a half length behind. Once into about 3rd gear, the DS would slowly start to pull ahead and take the lead with the Raptor and Banshee duking it out for second. At top speed, the DS would continue to pull away with the Banshee second and the Raptor third.
My reasoning for thinking like I do: 1)In the latest <u>ATV Magazine</u>, there was a dyno comparison between the Raptor and DS. The DS had a better power to weight ratio and the Raptor had a better torque to weight ratio, thus leading to the raptor getting the holeshot and the DS winning on top end. The magazine even said in a top speed run, &quot;the DS would eat the Raptor for lunch!&quot;(god I love reading that[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]) 2)From reading other posts about Raptor vs DS or Raptor VS Banshee, it seemed like the raptor usually got the best holeshot and then stayed even or slowly was caught and passed. 3) From personal experience racing 6 other Banshees, I've always won on top end, and only been behind by at most one quad length through all the races.
Sorry I got long winded...just sharing an opinion. You know, I kinda feel bad for Banshee owners. They used to be the top dog in the mid to late 90's, but now they have to deal with Raptors, C-dales, and DS's. The Banshee is becoming a dated design, and it is finally starting to show. I'll have to give credit though, 13 years before the competition could catch them..not too bad.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-24-2001, 10:32 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Don't write the 'Shees off yet. There were some pretty stout units at Silver Lake. Interesting that you mentioned the Cannondale's...like to start seeing them out for some runs. I don't care what anyone says, those guys busted their butts in a short time to kick out a pretty cool machine. When you consider the time frames some of the giants have taken, we can only hope that this serves as a wakeup call. Anyone out there ran against one yet????

Ken....Titanium and carbon fiber...zoom,zoom.

Old 11-24-2001, 11:12 AM
Pro Rider

modquad,
There is no doubt about Banshees in the sand. They are still the quad to beat at the dunes. Even the LT500's lose to modded Banshees in sand.

Old 11-26-2001, 02:33 PM
Pro Rider

The new issue of dirtwheels says that the Raptor is the 2nd fastest production quad made (Cannondale got first).

I have heard some bad things about these magazines, but this is the first time I had actually read one. I'm suprised that they would come right out and say it so bluntly if it might not be true. Do they say a lot of untrue (or unproven) things with so much confidence often?

Oh, I was also reading in there and they had a poll on what Scrambler owners liked and disliked about there Scramblers. It suprised me because one of the major dislikes was &quot;No Wheelies&quot;. WHAT? Are these guys on crack? If you can't pull a wheelie and ride one on your stock Scrambler then you are a complete wuss who needs to work out a little bit more. Heck, even if you hold the brake and drop it at the point of engagement you can do a wheelie.

Personally I can ride a wheele farther with my Sport than I can with any other quad...and trust me...it goes a long ways.

-Josh

Old 11-26-2001, 08:52 PM
Range Rover

I personally feel that there is a GREAT need to brag!! Six of my friends and I went to Badlands in Atticca Indiana last Sunday, and ended up in a 3 hour drag fest. Raptors, Banshees, DS 650s, 500 Zillas, even a couple Cannondales.....not one could hang with the 400 Sport sitting in my garage!! Flat or uphill, they all were eating my roost!! I ask you...why do people think that a Polaris can't be competitive? ....they are jealous!! Yes, I have a little money in my quad....but so did most of the people there. The main difference is...I didn't fork out $6000 or more for a STOCK quad! If someone had the same amount of money in their Banshee, 400EX, DS, Cannondale, Raptor, or whatever, I would still say &quot;BRING IT ON!!&quot; ( I have about $5500 In my quad!!....including the purchase price!!!!You could say...it pays to shop around!
View my quad at:www.geocities.com/daransport2002/400.html

Old 11-26-2001, 09:38 PM
Range Rover

<< The main difference is...I didn't fork out $6000 or more for a STOCK quad! If someone had the same amount of money in their Banshee, 400EX, DS, Cannondale, Raptor, or whatever, I would still say &quot;BRING IT ON!!&quot; ( I have about $5500 In my quad!!....including the purchase price!!!!You could say...it pays to shop around!
View my quad at:www.geocities.com/daransport2002/400.html
>>

$5500.00, eh?
I hate to say it, but I find that 1 hard to believe with all the mods.
Maybe, if a sponsor picked up the tab.

Quick Reply: what mods to beat ds650's and raptors??