Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Why Buy Another Polaris??

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2001, 04:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Everyone,

I'm just wondering if any polaris owners are having the same problems I am??? I have a 99 Scrambler 500. It has probably 200+ hours on it. Don't get me wrong, it's been a fun bike, but it seems as if though it is always costing me money. I've probably put 10+ belts on it since new. The brakes last no time at all. And it's always nickle and dimeing me to death. I ride it on the weekends and the dealer has it all week..lol. Kinda like visitation rights. Now I think the clutch may be worn out(my opinion only), only after the dealer has worked on the clutch several times to get it right. Now the damn thing is eating up friggin belts.....Any suggestions, beside finding a new dealer..lol??????

Old 11-24-2001, 05:21 PM
Range Rover

What are you using the machine for? Do you haul or tow with it? Are you replacing belts with the stock ones? I had this problem and I finally replaced the belt with HPD's and I've had no problems. I also installed an Explorer tranny for low gear to do some towing and couldn't be any happier. The low gear also helps in the mud pits which is where you can smoke a belt in a heart beat. Check out Bert's web site and scroll down to the bottom and check out his ride. His site is under construction so nothing works.

Scott [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 11-24-2001, 05:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

I mainly just ride it on trails, mud, etc. Come on, I'm in FL how muddy can it be.lol. I'll admit, I do ride it hard. That's the reason I bought it though. I don't tow anything, just ride it.

Old 11-24-2001, 08:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id love to put an explorer tranny in my quad,
well, my scrambler is a 95, or 96, im not sure after going to the dealer and buying a 95 brake handle (i broke mine off) and it wasnt the right one, but a 96 was, so either i have a 1996+ master cylander, or a 96 scram,
anyway no problem but my own falt, (broken engine mount, flat/warped tire)

Old 11-24-2001, 08:18 PM
Pro Rider

I was going through some belts myself
1 belt per hundred miles.
They kept telling me it was my driveing that did it
Finally I got someone to listen and they tore the whole clutch apart
Turns out inbetween the sheeves there's a fabric washer that was broke.so when it came up it would cut the belt.It all depended on weather the washer came up on the broke side on the good side.
This was within the past 2 months,since then I have a couple hundred miles on the same belt with no problem[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]...................
but I still carry an extra belt [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 11-24-2001, 11:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

BrownSteveD,
yep,I had a 99 Sportsman and now a 00 Xplorer.Both had numerous problems that I wont get into because most everyone allready knows anyways!

But MAN,can I relate to riding every other wk end and having the quads tied up in the shop for repairs shortly afterwards.Just like child support,I got visitation rights to go into the shop and see them.lol

Bill

Old 11-24-2001, 11:41 PM
Trailblazer

hey guys most problems result from abuse or lack of maintenace. its important to vent the counter balancer, trans, and carb vent to safe dry place. way up uder the gas tank or to the rear storage compartment. how often do you change your filter ? in extreme cases it has to be changed in 50 miles or max of 100 or so. rear brakes on 99 and up waer faster than older models. frt brakes will 400 miles max. but atleast the work un like jap bikes that never work due to drum design. i have seen several bikes go out in one ride( honda, yamaha, suzuki , etc,) i sugest you guys invest in service manual and start doing service yourself, some of these dealers cant fix a bolnga sandwich must less fix your atv, they hardly ever follow the manual in proper repair. brakes very quick and easy to swap. insist on genuine oem parts because some dealers are selling junk parts that allows them to make more profit, i have had 10 polaris and fixed 100 or more . they are fast and extemely able machines. i ride as hard as anyone out there and have never had an major breakdown( engine, trans , diff, and never failed a bearing) its also important on days when we think are machines submarines to ck all oils and grease more reg, i use synthetic bombardier watercraft drineline grease which will not wash off with water, its expensive 32.00 but worth it. besides polaris parts are very cheap in price. example frt rotor 35.00 honda 190.00 and no they dont last longer

Old 11-24-2001, 11:47 PM
Trailblazer

i just bought new 650 kawi . its fast and very nimble but it has flaws. plastic is prone to get ripped off. trans grinds alot, engine is very cold natured and has to warm up for sometimes 20 min, if stuck you cant energize the 4wd,flooor boards are so slick its pathetic, bike can not be shifted in 4wd on the fly. relability is yet to determined because it has 175 miles right now

Old 11-24-2001, 11:52 PM
Trailblazer

i have used transmission for your bike

Old 11-24-2001, 11:55 PM
Trailblazer

ck your clutch alignment . i have run belts for 1000 or more in hard use

Quick Reply: Why Buy Another Polaris??