Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Why Buy Another Polaris??

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2001, 12:18 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fast4wdkid, what kind of tranny do you have?

Scott [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 11-25-2001, 01:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

Fast4wdkid,
with respect to your above post on maintenance,I have owned 9 ATVs since 1983 and I have'nt had nearly as many problems with them COMBINED as I've had with my 2 Polaris 4x4s.

Maintenance,as you mentioned,is very important also.I'll tell you that nobody maintains one any better than myself,so we can count out the maintenance issue,at least for me.And I also agree,the dealership mechanics generally suck.

Simple put,nobody has more reliability issue's than Polaris does.Just check these Forums,I've been in them since about 1998.The Polaris Forum is allways LOADED with alot more questions concerning problems with their quad.

Bill

Old 11-25-2001, 01:51 AM
Trailblazer

i have 2 questions for the gallery.
my 500 scrambler is said to have a life time warrenty on the
belt. so does that mean that the belt should never wearout, or that they will replace the belt free of charge? I have a 2001 model with about 800 miles on it, as a matter of fact, im just replacing the stock tires because they're bout gone. I've rode this bike hard, deep mud and water, big rocks and logs, jumping and sliding. Loving every minute of it too! I just had to do my first repair to the thing since i got it and of all things it was the swing arm. The swing arm pivot bolt came loose allowing
the arm to twist and jump around at odd angles, causing the chain to buck and grind, sheering 9 of 13 teeth on the front sprocket. New sprocket..$26, new swing arm bushings..$12. Has this happened to anyone else? I fixxed this my self(pat pat)and it wasnt difficult, just a process and one i hope i dont have to repeat often! I take care of my bike...give it what it needs like grease and oil changes cause that was all i ever had to do to it. Am i missing something? What eles should i do? On a good note, im still on the factory front pads which are about 1/2 wore but on my second soon to be third set of backs.

DAMB AM I GLAD TO BE GETTING RID OF THOSE TIRES!!!!

Old 11-25-2001, 11:46 AM
Pro Rider

There has got to be some kind of problem with your clutces to wear the belt out so quickly. I got almost 5000 miles on my original belt (I admit I am likely the exception more than the rule) but still, unless you are TRYING to burn it out, it should go longer than that.

My mechanic says the lifetime belt warranty as he understands it works this way.
First belt, they just replace it for you.
Second belt, they check pulley alignment, and give you a rundown on driving techniques, in case you are doing something to shorten belt life (people do this without even knowing it usually. One good example would be revving the engine up slightly to keep you from rolling backwards downhill instead of holding the brake)
Third belt, they are supposed to disassemble the pulleys to be sure that all parts are good and where they should be (Makes me wonder where 500DUSE's mechanic was trained).

Yes, the mechanics do often suck. I am one of the lucky ones. Where I got my Xplorer, they have a little plaque honoring their mechanic's achievements. Seems he has been in the top 5 in the NATION for quality of work and knowledge of Polaris quads, each of the last 3 years. Yes, I paid about $150 to $200 more than some other places I found, but they value their customers. They have no problem with me talking to the mechanic for 15 or 20 minutes on the phone, helping me out with a snag, as long as I order the parts from them.

Oh, yea, while I am thinking of it, EVERY time you have the belt cover off, for any reason, my mechanic said it is a good idea to blow the dust out of the pulleys with an air compressor. Seems sometimes the dust from a burned out belt gets in the new belt, and acts as an abrasive, and wears out the new belt quicker. Blowing out this dust will help belt life as well as increase the life of the buttons and bushings in the pulleys. I was told just to aim the blow gun at anything that looks like it moves, and keep going until no more dust comes out from anywhere.

Would I buy another Polaris again??? In a heartbeat, if for no other reason than my dealer is absolutely the most helpful, decent dealer I have found, for ANY brand, anywhere. They have my loyalty more than any manufacturer does.

Old 11-25-2001, 12:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Farmer123,
I can relate to your liking your SPECIFIC dealership mechanic.I did not even buy either of my Polaris ATVs from these guys and yet,they still manage to give me good service.Steve has done alot for me,its just that I think im finally tired of all the ''down time''.Im not real sure if I like the idea of seeing if another dealership that holds my next dream quad[660 Grizz] has the same type of service?This scares me.

Bill