Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris starters

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2001, 07:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] Anyone know of a better starter for the 2 cycle engines? Evidently Polaris is aware of the crap they have been using (I've replaced three total on two different machines) since the part of the 700's advertising they promote a TextsealedTextstarter. I need to replace another, and would really like to never do it again. Thanks.

Old 11-25-2001, 07:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have no problems iwth my starter, usally it starts in 3 seconds, 10 when its cold using choke

Old 11-25-2001, 11:48 PM
Pro Rider

The starter itself is not that bad its what gets in it is the problem. The location of it is the problem. Being at the bottom water and fuel tend to collect and seep inside and mess up the brushes. Fuel leaking from the carb overflow can swell the sealing o-rings, which then pop out and in comes the water and dirt. A worn needle and seat in the carb coupled with a leaking mag side crank seal gets fuel in the recoil housing and then the starter. A lot of water problems come from the recoil rope handle not sealing properly. The 4 stroke starters are on top and rarely have problems in my experience.

Old 11-26-2001, 01:58 AM
Trailblazer

charlie is on target. the problem is two things water and also low batterty voltage. when riding in excessive water always drain the starter, this a 10 mm bolt located on the starter housing . its good idea to use compressed air to blow through the recoil hole to blow out moisture when you have this 10 mm bolt out. secondly the condition of the recoil handle is important to keep water out. i think 99 and up have recoil located farther away from the exhaust which heat and destroys the rubber in the rubber pull handle. i weak battery will destroy the starter motor as well. this stuff is all in hte manaul but nobody listens or reads it, hell there is clear warning decal about the recoil handle

Old 12-10-2001, 03:26 PM
Trailblazer

HI,
There seem to be many problems with these starters. My son has a 1997 400 with a starter problem. We did drain water out of the 10mm hole in the bottom of the housing and he still has to manually start the thing. There is a company on the Internet called cycle Wareables that can rebuild your existing starter for about $140.00. you can reach them at hayesatcher@aol.com for further information. I'm thinking about doing same.

It is basically a bad design problem and a lack of knowledge about proper cleanint techniques that hurt our machine. I now know better and take along a 10mm wrench wherever I go to drain off the water as soon as possible. Like with any kids you KNOW they will find the very first puddle to get into. You can also try to remove the starter from the machine and soak it in engine oil- but stay away from hard petroleum products as they will miss up the o-ring seals.

Cheers,
Kawa 650 owner [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] - Son has 400 Polaris

Old 02-16-2003, 01:42 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Polaris starters

Can anyone give me a quick description for how to remove the starter from an Explorer 400? I am having difficulty getting mine out.

Old 02-16-2003, 02:14 AM
Pro Rider
Default Polaris starters

well you need to take the bottom skid plate off so you can reach the started, now you need to disconnect the hot wire it's the only wire running to the starter. Then unbold the one little bracket that holds the starter underneath. It still won't come off you need to remover the cover on the side of pullstart don't take the pullstat off take the whold cover off I think it's like 8 bolts? once you get the cover off you will see 2 bolts that hold the starter in and simply take them out and the started should pop out you might have to put some *** in it but it will come off

Old 02-16-2003, 10:37 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Polaris starters

Instead of removing the metal retaining bracket that holds the back of the starter, I cheated on one and just bent it out of the way and got the starter out like that. Another good trick is if you have someone to help you, make sure the fuel is turned off and the tank isn't full, then flip the machine to an upright position. You can stand right in front of it and remove the starter. Brushes for those only run about $60, and that is usually the problem. Take it apart and fix it, it's not hard to do. Bubba

Old 02-16-2003, 11:54 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Default Polaris starters

Hey Bubba thats a good idea to get it on the rearend.I think the next time I need to do mine I will winch it up in a tree and chain it off.4x4s are a little hard to flip up.

Old 02-16-2003, 01:07 PM
Pro Rider
Default Polaris starters

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]Ohio starter in Breckville Ohio has remanufactured starters for 80.00 dollars.New starters for 179.00 dollars.We get all of our starters and starter drives from them.Phone no.1-888-753-0400 or e-mail ohioreb1@aol.com.One day tun around on the reman's..These guys do an awesome job also...

Quick Reply: Polaris starters