Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Crazy snow machine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2001, 04:42 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to get dual wheels for the back and skis for the front of my Scrambler. I want to do this to my Tecate too. I just got a sled but I love to ride my ATVs too.

Anyone ever use duals before? I'm right next to a trail but they don't allow ATVs so they ban all wheeled vehicles. But I don't think this set-up would leave any ruts.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-29-2001, 04:51 PM
Pro Rider

Ouch...that sounds like it would put a lot of stress on the drivetrain and the belt (don't listen to me though cause I don't know what I'm talking about).

I bet it would sure look cool though.

-Josh

Old 11-29-2001, 06:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got a way better idea for the rears, and it wont stress your machine as much ,and will save you money, it will also work on pure ice, how about you stud them, and put chains on them, let some air presure out, an why dont you do the skis on the tecate, and leave the scram 4x4 in 4x4, just stud the fronts and chain the back

Old 11-29-2001, 07:21 PM
Range Rover

In snow dual tires will do more harm than good. Ask owners of dual wheel pick up's!!

Old 11-29-2001, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider

On a truck you want to dig down to traction. On a quad that is to be used on snow, you want to stay on top....duals and skis is a good idea, and much cheaper than track kits. Here's a link to dually-equipt quads....crazy!!!

Gouge on it

Old 11-29-2001, 07:35 PM
Pro Rider

yeah but he isnt going to be riding 100% in snow all the time, and i still think the best idea is chains and studs with skis up front, or chains and studs on back and studs on front

Old 11-30-2001, 02:27 PM
Trailblazer

I lost a mud race to a guy with duals all around his Polaris once, came in 2nd. I always thought they were cool. I want to be able to cruise the snowmobile trails without wrecking the trails. Not that my ATV would but they don't like ruts so I think they would be eliminated with duals.

It must be cool fishing from your ATV like that!

Old 12-01-2001, 06:44 PM
Trailblazer

I didn't want to use chains since my whole point is to ride the sled trails without the snowmobilers getting mad at me. I think we could share trails, but they don't see it that way. With duals and skis keeping me above the snow I don't think anyone will mind too much.

I used to have a 350X with axle extenders (till some looser stole it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]) and it was great in the snow. I'm going to use some old snowboards for skis and make my own skids out of old bed rails. If we ever get snow I'll see if this works.

Old 12-02-2001, 10:24 AM
Pro Rider

yeah i know, its about time for some snow in good old NY,
which county you live in? maybe if your not to far we could go riding some time

Old 12-02-2001, 07:30 PM
Range Rover

Hey kukerdan,
Where in Monroe County are you? I'm south of Rochester by Conesus Lake. Let me know if you want to ride some weekend.

Quick Reply: Crazy snow machine?