Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

How many 400 2-stroke Explorer owners?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2001, 11:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,
I see a lot of posts showing owners of 400 2-stoke Explorers. I was just wondering how many people on this forum actually have the Explorer model? I'm just curious to find out about the year models, modifications, and problems anyone has had. I have owned every brand of 4-wheeler at one time or another and have been with Polaris for the past 6 years. The last pair I bought was a set of 1999 Polaris 400 2-stroke Explorers. One for me and one for the wife. In my opinion these are the best all around 4-wheeler going. They are comfortable, sporty, easy to ride, and MAN CAN THEY GO ANYWHERE!!
I haven't made any modifications except aftermarket Air-Filters and in 3 years both quads have proven to be bullet proof. Would like to hear from other Explorer owners and their experiences with the best 4-wheeler ever built (Just my opinion ha! ha!)

Ronster Monster....

Old 11-30-2001, 12:48 AM
Range Rover

i have a 99 400 xplorer and i like it very much but i would sell it so i could get me a new truck.i have 1800 miles on mine and it is trouble free so far.

Old 11-30-2001, 01:29 AM
Pro Rider

Hey it's not an Explorer but I ride a Sportsman with a 400L 2-stroke. Had a few problems when I first got it but since the repairs were done it's been running like a charm, it's one awesome machine. My buddy I ride with has an 1985 Explorer that has a million miles (not sure) on it and just had the engine rebuilt. Plus he needs a new axle, carb rebuilt kit, starter and a few minor thinghy's, other than that it's been a good machine.
I also just did an air filter upgrade and I'm pleased with the power & everything about it, even the steel racks.

Old 11-30-2001, 02:44 AM
Range Rover

i have 96 xplorer with 3000 miles and the only repair has been the rear axle carrier bearings. same chains,sprockets,and brake pads,except for the main drive sprocket on the trans. i am only on my second sparkplug. my riding buddy has the same thing except his has 5000 miles with only the bearings in the front jackshaft being replaced. he has replaced the inner seal on the front wheel and chains and sprockets on the rear. i have mine equipted with EBS which help save the brake pads.

Old 11-30-2001, 10:43 AM
Pro Rider

I have a 2001 Xplorer 400..........bought in August of 2000. Polaris quit putting the pod on the 2001 model, so I would guess between 1000 and 1500 miles. The only major problem I had with it was that the radiator fan stopped running one day. I took it off, disassembled it (had some water in it), and put it back together. It ran pretty rough after that, so I went ahead and replaced it......for peace of mind. I changed the piston over to a wiseco (no boring, just a drop-in replacement), per Rick Ritter's recommendation (skirt breakage prevention). I also removed the oil injection at the same time as the piston swap, and converted the oil reservoir to a gas reserve. My fuel capacity is now at 4.5 gallons. The swingarm bushings got some slack in them, so I had some machined out of bronze instead of replacing them with the OEM plastic ones. I changed out the rear yoke on the front gear box, due to some slack in the way it fits on the splined shaft, but I'm not sure that was necessary. In the summer months, in deep mud holes, the bike will load up and lose power........like it's flooding out, but in winter under the same conditions, it does great.......this leads me to believe the carb is set too rich for hot weather. I may lean it out some next summer to see if that fixes it. Many people complain about loose tie rod ends, but I believe Polaris must have beefed them up between '99 and 2001, because I have absolutely no slack at all in mine (my '99 SP500 had the same style ends, but developed slack in them around 1000 miles). I changed over to Sidewinder chain and sprockets after my stock chain came up missing several o-rings and began to stretch quickly. The hand master cylinder seep-leaked brake fluid from day one, so I replaced it with a right-hand unit from a Honda 400EX, for about $100, and it is more powerful and doesn't leak. I know it sounds like I've done alot to my bike, but I really like tinkering with things and improving stuff. Again, the only thing that has really "failed" has been the cooling fan. Overall, I'm very pleased with the bike. My next purchase will most likely be another Polaris, possibly another Xplorer 400 if they still make them by the time I buy again, but I really like the SP700 too.

Waylan

Waylan

Old 11-30-2001, 11:26 AM
Trailblazer

I have a 96 and love it. It is great to be able to ride it like a sport bike and go through the deep stuff.

Old 11-30-2001, 11:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

i have a 97 explorer and i ride the **** out of it and the only thing i have done to it was put a k&n on it . i like the performance and i want to put a performance exaust on it but i cant find any prices. i snow plow with it and use it for mud pits and a swamp near my house and i have not had a problem yet and she has 1500 on it.

POLARIS RULES
FOREIGNS DROOL

Old 11-30-2001, 11:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

I own a 2000 model Xplorer.I've had SO many problems with it that it'd take all day to type.The thing is,none of my problems have ever been with my engine.In 2200 miles,the engine has been bullet proof.

Whan the quads not in the shop,its a total blast.

Bill

Old 11-30-2001, 12:20 PM
Pro Rider

I own a 2000 xplorer 400. I also have had so many problems with it my fingers would cramp up from typing it all. I never had a problem when it was stock. I ran the hell out of it and never had a problem. Then as soon as i starting lifting it, motor mods, tires, etc. etc. it started to break. It's pretty much guaranteed that it will break something every time i take it out. Everyone always wants to ride it. It's so easy to ride, just give it gas and go wherever you want. I take it to the extreme though. I take it to the places where people will sit around the side and nobody will enter. On a good day it is unstoppable. The power and wheel speed it makes is unbelievable. I like to just leave it in high 2wd and hammer it and shoot rooster tails. I jump it and power slide it all the time too. It handles almost like a sport quad on steroids. It is the best quad i have owned when it doesn't break.

Old 11-30-2001, 07:40 PM
Pro Rider

99 Xplorer, just over 5200 miles on it. So far I have had no true failures, but have replaced:

1 belt
both rear pulley bushings (once)
outer tie rod ends (both)
replaced stock air filter with Uni filter
replaced both sets of front brake pads

That is about it so far.

Also, the center steering bushing is getting loose (lasts much longer if you tighten the lower castle nut at the FIRST sign of looseness), the rear tires are almost bald, the chain & sprockets are getting worn, and the rear brakes don't have much pad left.
Keep in mind, I have 5200 miles, and the engine still starts and runs like new. I am on the 3rd spark plug so far. I definately USE my machine, but don't go out of my way to abuse it. I don't plow through a deep mudhole just to see if I can get farther than the next guy (OK, I did once, but there was cash involoved, plus it at least got a brand 'X' driver to shut up for a while, you know the one who says his machine can put everything else to shame. Well, to make a long story short, it didn't.)
I would get another one in a heartbeat, seems as well put together as anything. I have some acquaintances who put on a few mods, though, and theirs are not holding up as well as mine seems to be.

Farmr

Quick Reply: How many 400 2-stroke Explorer owners?