Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

How to get the sp700 under 640lbs

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2001, 05:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Campy,

I think the wolverine guy was just poking fun......not really trying to insult the 700. I'm sure he knows where he stands against any of the latest big bores......if he doesn't, then you just let him know.

On a different note, I don't think Polaris chose a steel skid plate because of its durability over plastic........I'd take plastic anyday, but rather to strengthen the frame. You can take a box made of 2x4's, and it's not very rigid, however, you nail plywood to all sides, and it is lots stronger......this is why I think Polaris used the steel skid plate.......so, you would lose alot of frame rigidity if you removed the steel skid plate. The other items are very feasible though........tires/rims, battery, etc.

BTW, what kind of fuel mileage are you guys reporting on the 700? Long range riding is always important to me, and I was disappointed that Polaris put such a small tank on the new 700. If the mileage is up, that's fine. Just my opinion.

Old 12-04-2001, 08:33 AM
Pro Rider

WALEXA I was poking fun,, but now that CAMPY got things rolling,
I'll add my tow cents..
The diamond tread after market parts are aluminum(not steel or plastic). The 26 tires did steal some lowend power but that will be corrected with a jet kit and pipe, but it is not a big deal because I don't tow cars and trucks.
The towing capicity is not an issue if it were I would have bought a bigger quad. The suspension, the engine size and tires are smaller
than the 700,it should be... the 700 is a bigger quad,,, the grizzly
is a bigger quad,, the kaw 650 is a bigger quad,, you are comparing
apples to oranges,, I just added my reply about my quad being the lightest 4x4 sport utility on the market, but that part just flew over your closed mind. It always seems people want to compare the wolverine
to the bigger quads what does that tell you??? They always say its a smaller underpowered quad , but they are always mentioning the wolverine, and the wolverine is always there.
... Your idea about a quad and what it is used for and my idea about a quad and it used or are two different things...I use mine to ride in the woods,,snow, mud, and blaze new trails, and sometimes pull a fellow four wheeler out of a stuck situation. SO you can say it bigger stronger faster than mine, it should be,,,but I'll tell you, you can pick any 4x4 quad on the market, and I'll follow you anywhere, reguardless of the size...See how the quad bashing starts...by people like you...I have made my point about my quad and I did not bash anyone's ride...

Old 12-04-2001, 10:47 AM
Pro Rider

wolverine51,

Now that you've made the comment about that wolverine keeping up with anything on the market.........I don't think so. And I never hear anybody comparing anything to the wolverine..........I attend mud rides a couple times a year, and out of a couple thousand quads, I might see one wolverine per year (no exaggeration, but then again, I don't seek out the wolverines to see how many there are). I also have a few riding buddies, and we don't even talk about the wolverine because it is such an incompetent quad for our riding style. About the only thing that the wolverine has going for it is its stock form light weight, decent suspension, and disk brakes. It lacks far more: ground clearance, power, locking diff.

Waylan

Old 12-04-2001, 11:23 AM
Pro Rider

Read my post and try to comprehend what I said ,,, So go back and read it again..I did not say that wolverine could keep up with anything on the market. I said that you could pick out any quad on the market and I could follow you anywhere. Keeping up with something in this case means speed. Here is what you said,

'I attend mud rides a couple times a year, and out of a couple thousand quads, I might see one wolverine per year (no exaggeration, but then again, I don't seek out the wolverines to see how many there are). I also have a few riding buddies, and we don't even talk about the wolverine because it is such an incompetent quad for our riding style. About the only thing that the wolverine has going for it is its stock form light weight, decent suspension, and disk brakes.'

So just because you attend mud rides and you only see one wolverine,
per year that makes it a bad quad.! So when I run Poker runs and I don't see many
2001 Polaris Xplorer 400.....ITP Mag. Billets w/25" SurTraks, Std. Wiseco, Front Lift, HPD Roller Clutch, SideWinder C&S's, Premix w/Amsoil, Bronze Swingarm Bushings, Warn winch w/front Brushguard, Rear Basket Rack, and other minor mods.

It is an incompetent quad for my type of riding. So now you are bashing my quad because its not setup for you mud bogs... And I guess you and your riding buddies constitute the majority of riders everywhere to discuss the importance of quads.
Now don't forget you did agree with me one thing.... the wolverine has going for it is its stock form light weight, Which is what I said from the beginning....Imagine that we are right back to square one , and all you guys did was bash my quad....

Old 12-04-2001, 12:02 PM
Range Rover

I didn't bash it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-04-2001, 01:33 PM
Pro Rider

My meaning behind "keep up" with others on the market is referring to going all the same places without the need for a winch or tow rope.......not speed. Speed is just another category that it won't "keep up".......and I'm not bashing, just stating the truth.

If you want representation, just take a look at sales of ATV's. The wolverine isn't even in the top 50% of sales, and that speaks volumes to me. Yamaha probably sells more Breeze 125's or Badger (now Raptor) 80's than they do wolverines. Does any of this matter to me? Of course not. Polaris probably sells more of several different models than they do Xplorer 400's. That's fine.......my quad fits me, therefore I don't jump into other topics that don't concern my quad stating its strong points. And As far as me considering me and my buddies as representing the majority, I didn't say that, but that was my response to your statement:

"It always seems people want to compare the wolverineto the bigger quads what does that tell you??? They always say its a smaller underpowered quad , but they are always mentioning the wolverine, and the wolverine is always there."

The only reason people compare the wolverine to the larger bigger quads is because of people like you who have wolverines and think they are just as capable as the others starting the whole thing.......as I recall, the subject line was "How to get the sp700 under 640lbs".........not "What are the lightest 4x4 quads???" Search the Polaris forum and see how many times people compared the wolverine to any other quads without some wolverine owner starting the comparisons. You won't find any.......simply stated.

I strongly suspect you have a big case of Polaris-Envy, otherwise, you wouldn't be visiting this forum and commenting as you do, and that's understandable given the quad that you own and have convinced yourself that it's such a capable machine. Sure is fun seeing people convinced like yourself trying to convince others that all they need is a wolverine.......that is what you were doing, right??? At least you do practice proper english/grammar/typing, so the reading is easy on the eyes.

Waylan

Old 12-04-2001, 02:29 PM
Pro Rider

Well Mr Walexa,
you stated that 'My meaning behind "keep up" with others on the market is referring to going all the same places without the need for a winch or tow rope.......' So I guess your quad cannot keep up with others or go the same places since you have a winch on the front of yours right?
I guess its not cabable without a winch..

Your second paragraph starts out 'If you want representation, just take a look at sales of ATV's.' I did not know I was looking for representation,
I must have missed where this conversation switched to sales?????????
You are running a little thin here...

Your words again....
The only reason people compare the wolverine to the larger bigger quads is because of people like you who have wolverines and think they are just as capable as the others. Why is my quad not capable??? It may not be the fastest thing in the woods, but like I stated before, it will go anyplace the bigger quads go in the woods..
O.K. lets change the playing field here,,2.5-3.5 feet of snow on the ground you get your quad and I'll get mine and you follow me.. I
guess your quad is not capable ?????????????????
When I enter the forum I go to new topics of the day, If I happen to be in a different forum than what I ride you will just have to live with that,, maybe you better go and tell everybody that they should stay were they ride, reguardless of the type of info they have. Just last week I was in the polaris forum, What did I write..I saw a recall on the Polaris 425 on the news and I stated that, See I have an open mind and I like to contribute info that people may benefit from, I don't bash quads or people, but I could...maybe
I'm not capable of it....Maybe the moderator should lock this thread
since this is probably what you all' call a good ol' fashioned pissing contest, That nonone will win.............

Old 12-04-2001, 02:50 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know why I'm even posting, but what the hell...it is somewhat fun. What Wolverine51 essentially is doing with his machine is making it more comparable to a larger machine...larger tires, more protection, extended mud flaps. I'm guessing his "lightweight" machine is pushing 600 lbs with all the stuff he has added. So he has the large quad appearance, but still the gutless of a wonder engine. Maybe I'll trade all my machines in for a wolverine since it apparently is the ultimate machine. Speed of the DS, versitility of the Explorer, ease of operation of the Trailboss...damn, what was I thinking when one machine could have satisfied me!?? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-04-2001, 02:56 PM
Pro Rider

wolverine51,

I now realize you are right in every aspect and with everything you've stated. I retract any arguments I have seemingly posed and leave it to you to as the final say on all topics. You are not only god of the yamaha forum, but to all forums....even those that are not atv-related. My Xplorer that I have hailed as the best all-around atv (just read my responses........it's in there) is really only a mere excuse for an atv......I am so sorry about misunderstanding all of what you have stated, and now acknowledge you as the all-knowing Wolverine King that you are. Thank you for your time and please forgive me for my ignorance. I really need to go now so I can trade my Xplorer in on a wolverine before they're all sold. The local dealership just called and said Yamaha has raised the MSRP to $7500, and he can lock me in on that price if I buy now. Thank you again for enlightening me. All hail wolverine51. Please let me know what pipe and jet kit you plan on using to bring the power level up enough to turn those tires.......so mine can be just like yours.

So VERY Sincerely,

Waylan

Old 12-04-2001, 03:06 PM
Pro Rider

Walexa~
I too am sorry for any ignorance I have shown towards Wolverine51. I clearly was not thinking when I bought any of my machines...especially the Explorer. Why on earth would I have wanted a 2 stroke utility machine that can keep up with sport machines or utility machines. And that DS 650...that was obviously a mistake since I could have gotten a wolverine for just 300$ more(yes, I did actually get prices for one). Hey, do you think a wolverine engine would fit in a DS 650's chassis? I've been thinking of doing a engine swap. WOLVERINE51 FOR PRESIDENT!

(please notice the sarcasm in this post)

Quick Reply: How to get the sp700 under 640lbs