Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

cv joint popped out

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2001, 04:27 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well i think i really screwed up my bike now. I was putting on progressive spring kit on the front and when i lowered the housing, the cv joint popped out. I cant get it back in for the life of me. Couldnt get that cv cover off either. I dont think i did much damage to it yet, it didnt make any popping sounds so i put it back together and hopefully find a shop to fix it. Anyone done this too? Any idea what it might cost me to get it fixed? Theres really only one dealer around here and hes far so im sure he charges an arm and a leg. Any feedback would be appreciated...

00 Sportsman 500

Old 12-03-2001, 09:50 AM
Pro Rider

The front CV joints are held in with a spring clip. Pretty much that is all that holds it together. IF you can get the splines aligned internally, it will simply snap back together. If you are like the other 99% of the population that is ruled by Murphy's law, you will probably have to take the boot off.

Here is a hint. The CV joint is built just like the CV joints on smaller cars. If you know of a shop that works on that sort of thing, that charges less than the Polaris dealer, I would go there, unless your machine is still under warranty. However, I have a feeling that putting on a lift kit will void any warranty the factory had on the CV joints & drivetrain anyway.

Farmr

Old 12-03-2001, 10:31 AM
Pro Rider

Durkdan,

I have had this happen installing a lift as well, and it can be very annoying. However, if you have patience and keep trying, you can accomplish it alone. Just when I was about give up on mine, what do you know........it slipped in.

The way I kept attempting mine was to get the internally-splined piece that is in the joint close to perpendicular to the shaft that you are trying to insert. If this piece is at an angle, it is doubtful you will ever get it back together without complete disassembly. Anyway, you can also turn the joint part slightly one way or the other to try to get the splines to align.

Waylan