Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Thinking of buying sportsman 500 HO

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2001, 04:32 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 500HO and I can say it's perfect in every condition : deep water, mud, hill, rocks, sand, etc... I never had any trouble with my HO.
But I'll take delivery of my new 700 TWIN this friday ! I have rided it a couple of time and it's very different than the HO. It "seems" lighter (because of increase of power), more power, more break, more confortable (bcause of inscrease weigh), turn shorter, etc...
So, if the 500HO is perfect, the 700WIN is more than perfect !
Have fun with your H0 !

Old 12-20-2001, 10:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

The HO is a nice bike, but I have only had mine for about three months and have experienced a few problems with mine. I have only 160 miles on the bike and have had the belt replaced on it already. Even from the day I brought it home it seemed to have a lag starting off. When I had the belt replaced, I asked the dealer if he could tighten the clutch or pulley or whatever so this wouldn't happen again, but he said there was nothing he could do.

Also, I have a problem sometimes with my front hub locking up. If that happens, it is harder then hell to try and turn or even steer. My buddy rolled down a hill in Kentucky because of his front hub locking up.

And wait till you go in the mud and the bike is covered in mud. My god is there a lot of little cubby holes that hold mud. It takes hours to make it look new again.

Overall though, I do like this bike. It has plenty of power, and is very comfortable on long rides. And it can go through anyhting.

Thats my two cents worth.

Old 12-20-2001, 10:40 AM
Trailblazer

Only thing it should happen with the front hub is because, sometimes, they refuse to un-locked when you put the switch on 2x4. Polaris tell of that in owner manual. You have juste to select reverse, and then, select forward Hi or Lo again, and the hub un-lock. That's all. It appened to me a couple of time. But for the belt, don't worry, simply don't forget to put it in Lo when you don't need to go fast or when you need to pull or push heavy charge. Anywhere, the belt is life warrently on all Polaris, and not on ohter ATV !!

Old 12-20-2001, 12:34 PM
Pro Rider

Here's the deal sparky... Get yourself a power grease gun as part of the wheeler, and don't worry about the twenty minute greasing thing.

Old 12-20-2001, 02:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

jbourrette,
You are correct, that the manual states that. But it is pretty darn hard to back up a 100 ft hill to un-lock the hub.

Old 12-20-2001, 03:42 PM
Trailblazer

bjv95,
You are correct too, I agree with you.
I'm searching an electric diagram of 700SP to add a switch to oblige hub to by locked, in 4x4 on-demand mode. Because, with the "on demande 4x4" mode, front hub lock only if the rear wheels put to slip. So, if your are on a not-slipping surface and then if you need to cross an obstacle (a rock) and you require for the 4x4, front hub would not lock because of the non-slip of rear wheels. It's a little annoying. I think that the solution is of installs a switch which makes it possible to oblige the hub to be locked in any time. If somebody has information about that, I'm interrested. Or a detailed electric diagram, I'm interrested too.

Old 12-20-2001, 09:14 PM
Trailblazer

why not get the 700, its only $300 more

Old 12-21-2001, 01:26 PM
Pro Rider

It list for $400 more, but it will cost you $1000+ more.

Old 12-21-2001, 06:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

The thought of the 700 did cross my mind, but I was thinking it would be to heavy,and the 500 would be just fine for me ,as far as power goes!!!

Old 12-21-2001, 09:11 PM
Trailblazer

WOW,
I have take delivery of my SP700 today, and, I have only one word to say : WOW
It's an incredible machine. Plenty of power, it "seems" much lighter than the 500Ho, it turns much shorter, and the engine makes a beautiful noise !
The A2500 Winch, install in the front bumper (safe from water and mud
), with it's remote control, is very nice.
It's night now, but tomorrow, as soon as the sun will rise, I will be above!
I'm a happy owner !

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying sportsman 500 HO