Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Which Suspension for Scrambler 400?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2001, 06:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the best suspension struts for a scrambler 400? I need it for riding rough stuff, and some jumping. Price matters also

Old 12-19-2001, 07:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go to hotseatperformance.com they have really good gas charged rebuildable struts, and good progressive springs for them

Old 12-19-2001, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider

the works struts are your best buy 260 a pair and they recommend stock springs so that would be the best way out also the works are much better i think also u can send your rear shock to PEP and they will revavle it for your weight and riding style it will cost you about 200.

Old 12-20-2001, 12:23 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how come it costs so much for a rebuild? ive heard prices all the way from 30 to 200$

Old 12-20-2001, 07:53 AM
Pro Rider

Adam Scrambler 400,

The Works suspension is the best for the money, if you want to keep your stock springs and do a lot of jumping. I seriously doubt you'll bottom the front suspension on any jumps within reason. I have mine set up for woods and use both the Hot Seat spring kit and Works struts. I seldom jump(I'm getting to fat and old) and with this set up the front end is plenty plush through it's 9+" of travel.

The Fox struts seem stiffer than the Works and would really benefit from the Hot Seat spring kit to give the front end some sort of progressive feel. The dampening on the Fox struts is a straight rate, which is to say that it dampens the same for the first few inches of travel as it does for the last few inches. The Works struts are progressively dampened. There is little if any compression dampening in the first few inches, but as the travel is used up, the compression dampening really kicks in the last several inches. This makes the suspension supple in the first few inches for small bumps, then as you hit a jump it stiffens up to provide a soft landing.

The Fox struts with the Hot Seat spring kit will work much the same way, only it uses two springs (one long heavy spring and one short light spring) to provide the progressive feel.

Either way you go it will be like night and day compaired to the stock suspension.

Old 12-20-2001, 06:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

HPD all the way.There is no comparison.I race hare scrambles and cross country I know guys that run all other brands some of the guys run works and have bent the shafts.The problem is they are kind of expensive and hard to get.

Old 12-21-2001, 08:05 AM
Pro Rider

Madscrambler,

The Fox clickers would be great (and my choice) if they actually still made them. The problem is that they don't. They haven't made them for quite some time now. To all those lucky enough to have bought them when HPD was selling them, I take my hat off to you. I was going to get a set, but never had the cash back then. I don't think HPD sold many sets at what they were charging for them. Most people probably couldn't see parting with that much cash for something that wouldn't make their machine any faster (heck, most people around here leave their machines stock), couldn't see the advantages of them, or figured they could always pick some up later (like me). I do wish they would bring them back, at least for one year.

Old 12-21-2001, 07:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

What do you mean still make them I just got mine about 4 months ago I got the last set Darrell had he told me he made about 10 sets this year.I race district 6 hare scrambles and of the 10 sets 4 or 5 of the guys in my class out of about 15 had them thats how I found out about them.Thats the absolute best mod I have done to my wheeler.Price was $900 complete.

Old 12-21-2001, 07:41 PM
Pro Rider

Was is $900 for all three or just the front?

Old 12-21-2001, 07:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

900 complete 2 front struts with dual rate springs rebuildable one back dual rate with rez.

Quick Reply: Which Suspension for Scrambler 400?